Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Greg

DFA Game Club: DOTT

258 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

One of the important early parts of the game development process is doing research-playing old games as inspiration to remember what you liked about them and what things can be improved on. I was thinking about going back and playing Day of the Tentacle to refresh my brain, and I thought it may be fun to have a bunch of us play at the same time! I was planning to start it up this coming weekend, so that should give anyone who wants to join adequate time to find a copy and get set up. If you have info on how to best get a copy, go ahead and post that here. Then on Saturday at 12:00 PDT we'll start by playing the first couple hours of the game and chatting about them here:

Browser-based chat!

If you have a chat client, such as mIRC:

IRC Server: irc.foonetic.net

Channel: #DFAdventure

And here's the video stream! http://www.ustream.tv/channel/double-fine-game-club

See you then!

I can't talk about where to get the game but if you have it and you want to play it Scumm vm does a great job of emulating it.

http://www.scummvm.org/

Definitely. Haven't been able to get the disc to work any other way since the glory days of Restart to DOS.

Dude, are you serious? I literally just played through it again last week.

Goddammit.

I have a copy ready to go and it's been a few years since I've played through DOTT, so I'm in!

Is that a "hint" to which direction DFA is going? Hmmm? Hmmmmmm?

The Only Problem is that I can complete it in a few hours. I often like to watch my nephews play it and give them hints.

I doubt it. This is suppose to be a completely new game. But I think it's one of the best to get inspiration from.

If I could make a suggestion of Monkey Island 2 next. :)

I doubt it. This is suppose to be a completely new game. But I think it's one of the best to get inspiration from.

If I could make a suggestion of Monkey Island 2 next. :)

Don't say that! 'Unfounded' is my favourite type of speculation.

Awesome! I'm in!

It'd be nice if a bunch of people wanted to use the unofficial #DFAdventure chat channel for this -- maybe on a regular basis. If any DF people wanted to do that, we could figure out a way to monitor/moderate things.

Tempted to post a torrent link for people... Is the game even commercially available?

Could be a lot of fun, especially if we get a chat going while we play.

Lets start from MI1!!!

Depending on how far people get into DOTT, we might end up playing a bit of it anyway. Actually, does that 'game within a game' work in ScummVM? I can't remember. I do remember it used to switch to the internal speaker in DOS mode. That was fun.

Great idea. If by some miracle I manage to get out of the college-swamp I'm under by the end of the week, I'm there!

Sounds like an awesome idea, hilarity and fun times a plenty! I shall be joining up! :) *Cough* Monkey Island 1 Next! *Cough*

The Maniac Mansion Game within DOTT doesn't work in ScummVM, but the DOTT disk contain the files for Maniac Mansion, so you can just run Maniac Mansion standalone with ScummVM instead.

Actually, does that 'game within a game' work in ScummVM? I can't remember. I do remember it used to switch to the internal speaker in DOS mode. That was fun.

I don't think so. but scumm vm does recognize the files for MM so If you have DOTT you also have MM.

Dont like SCUMMVM for DOTT better is to use dosbox with the cycles set to a fixed number below 10k or the voices don't work.

As long as cycles is below 10k everything works in dosbox.

Dont like SCUMMVM for DOTT better is to use dosbox with the cycles set to a fixed number below 10k or the voice doesn't work.

As long as cycles is below 10k everything works in dosbox.

I'm probably going to stick with Scumm VM but I thought I would post a link to DOS BOX

http://www.dosbox.com/

I have no Idea how you set this up to play although.

You know, I've never actually played DOTT. Please don't hurt me.

Anyway, should I play MM first?

Here's a thought, it takes some setting up, but the result could be interesting.

It's possible via software to emulate a webcam. Now, here is the real fun, simultaneously playing via Google Hangout (or any other service that allows multiple video streams, I only know this one). I don't know if there is a limitation on the number of streamers, but the result could be interesting watching players going through the same game. People can go in and out as they please.

How does it sound?

Anyone know a good free software that changes a screen to webcam input?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0