Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim Schafer

Always fun to start a new notebook!

165 posts in this topic

Started this the other day. Brand new notebook for a brand new game!

I like to write ideas longhand into a 5-subject binder. I don't know why. My handwriting is TERRIBLE. I think I got my penmanship from my dad, who is a doctor, in case that explains anything.

Not sure why I like the notebook. I like using word processors too. But more for the second draft. First draft always goes here. I like the pen and the ink and the paper. And knowing that no one will be able to see it but me.

And now, you guys. But I trust my handwriting to keep my secrets secret. Mostly. No spoilers on this page anyway. I'm still just rambling at this point.

My routine is to block out 9am to 11am to just sit here with the notebook and ramble about whatever comes into my head. Could be thoughts about the game, but it could just be me wondering why my brake lights aren't working, or what that smell is. The only rule is I can't stop writing until 11am.

Some days are super productive. Some days I just write about what I want for lunch for two hours.

Try it! You'd be surprised what ideas come out if you do this every day!

I love using a notebook to write on. I find it helps me with my ideas, my mind works so fast and writing it all down helps to slow down the process. Plus when I go to put my work on the computer it helps even further more as I catch ideas that I missed out on when trying to put almost everything down on paper.

haha. coloring in and detailing the letters in the title is always a sign of ideas a plenty. =) stupid censor pens are in the way of the commandments! dorn

Let us know if/when you want us to get involved in the brainstorming process.

I started one myself today, but when I looked down it was 3 pages of "All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy". I wonder what that means.

I started one myself today, but when I looked down it was 3 pages of "All Work and No Play Makes Jack a Dull Boy". I wonder what that means.
Redrum?

Redrum?

If only word processors had been around at the hotel, he could have just copied and pasted it.

Not sure why I like the notebook. I like using word processors too. But more for the second draft. First draft always goes here. I like the pen and the ink and the paper. And knowing that no one will be able to see it but me.
It also makes a more tangible keepsake\memento of the game's early stages, I'd imagine. Did I spy a stack of these in the background of some of the Kickstarter videos?

Was one of these where that magical list of grand game ideas was kept? (Was that you, Schafer? I seem to recall reading this somewhere.)

Oh wow- I, too, keep a 5-Subject Notebook around for collecting my thoughts!

Although it's kinda bare at the moment- I think maybe I get too distracted by my pen.

crazyasspen.jpg

I think notebooks are more superior than typing on a computer just because of the amount of freedom and expression you get with a pencil and paper.

And also for the ability to add little doodles in the margins!

Tactical pen placement! :) Very cool. I should try an actual notebook sometime instead of tons of randomly sorted pieces of paper scattered in a very specific order of thought on my desk rand note pads repurposed from other things sometimes beside it, like my notepad I keep in my coveralls at work. Oh, I shouldn't have said that! Good thing this place is super secret. :D

Awesome pens! You should mail those out to random backers when they're dead.

Woah... when the pens are dead or the backers?

Maybe Tim has psychic visions, and mails us pens right before something calamitous happens? Because there's a lot of pens around the office?

And here I thought there was no way I could be disappointed by receiving something in the mail from Tim.

Admittedly, I didn't really think about that much beforehand, or I suppose I could have come up with: "Dear Rev, I have handwritten this note to tell you that you are no longer allowed to play my games. Sincerely, Tim. PS: WE WILL KNOW."

I tend to write most of my script ideas out in a notebook; just since they're light and easy to hide at work. Writing stuff down is also more memorable to me than typing it. I still remember the day I wrote down the idea/title for my first (and only) screenplay. I was sitting down with a friend for lunch in Southern Illinois... at a Chicago-style hot-dog joint... which was run by a lovely Asian couple who barely spoke any English. Ok. I guess ambiance is more important to me than the notebook... which explains why I haven't written much since I started working at a gas station. :P

Ok. I guess ambiance is more important to me than the notebook... which explains why I haven't written much since I started working at a gas station. :P
Really? I'd figure that there are few better ways to really let your creativity run wild than to sit in the ambiance of volatile fumes for a few hours.

I have to do drawings and stuff in mine before I start writing in it... blank pages FREAK ME OUT!

Really? I'd figure that there are few better ways to really let your creativity run wild than to sit in the ambiance of volatile fumes for a few hours.

Allow me to clarify. I work in a Kroger fuel center kiosk, locked away from those glorious (allegedly volatile) fumes and candy/lotto tickets in the windows obfuscate most of the goings-on. All I've written in the last month are ideas for a pun-intensive flick about two guys working at a gas station. Don't worry though. I've ruled out "Fool Service" as a possible title.

+10 Interweb points for Tim for using a proper keyboard!

MS Ergo users, rejoice!

Maybe Tim has psychic visions, and mails us pens right before something calamitous happens? Because there's a lot of pens around the office?

Hopefully the pens are refillable. Psychic visions are a poor substitute for a good sense of economy.

...There is something more fluid about rambling in writing...something about hand motion.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0