Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Greg

Episode 1: A Perfect Storm for Adventure

449 posts in this topic

Greetings Backers!

Welcome to the first episode of the Double Fine Adventure! series, titled “A Perfect Storm for Adventure”. This first episode is primarily about the launch of the Kickstarter campaign. We've said before that no one was expecting the Kickstarter to be so successful, and when things really took off we found ourselves scrambling to capture as much as possible. The story of starting the project had become just as important as the project itself.

Speaking of the project, we’ve now officially entered pre-production and are brainstorming concepts for the game, experimenting with different art styles, and building technology to help ensure that production goes smoothly. Make sure to join us in the backer forums for discussion and the most up to date information on our progress!

More fun news-we’re also currently prototyping shirts and posters, and are hoping to ship in a couple months! Those of you who backed for at least $100 can expect surveys soon to gather shipping information, shirt sizes, and names for the credits. We obviously can’t order the shirts until we know what sizes to get, so if you could get those filled out as soon as possible that would be swell!

And without further ado, Double Fine Adventure!, Episode 1: A Perfect Storm for Adventure!

[vimeo]39782230[/vimeo]

Episode notes

You’ll find that this first episode contains a lot of media from different sources.

00:05 // Bagel was kind enough to make a new logo for us that reflects the Adventure! theme.

00:41 // The opening credits montage was filmed during a trip to a photography studio. Taking this photo of Bagels painting is part of the process of making the poster rewards.

01:13 // The NPR interview with Tim can be found here.

01:18 // Machinarium can be found here.

02:33 // We used footage from Gamespot’s live stream but we did actually film that night at the GDC awards as part of our work on the Minecraft documentary. Keep an eye out for the Notch cameo.

03:30 // Full Throttle and the rest of Tim’s classic games can be played via the ScummVM emulator.

Grim Fandango is a little trickier, you can find instructions for playing it here:

For Windows

For Mac

04:26 // "Up at Noon" Episode featuring Tim Schafer can be found

06:24 // The alternate takes to Kickstarter update #2 were actually filmed the day after we shot the pitch video, before the project was even launched. In case we couldn’t make it back to the office soon enough after the launch, we had Tim record three messages for how the campaign could potentially go.

07:05 // We used Screenflow to capture the day one push to the goal.

10:00 // YouTube users sonicdahedgehogrules, ciscovaras, and JetyCityOrange were kind enough to let us include some of their commentary on the “Adventure!” phenomenon. The full videos can be found

, and
, respectively.

10:55 // D.I.C.E. is a annual games industry summit held by the Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences. It is an exclusive event for game developers to get together and discuss the industry, minus the media penetration seen at events like GDC and E3.

13:56 // The huge number of people refreshing the Kickstarter site watching the campaign close in on $1 million caused the site to crash. It was the most activity at one time they had ever experienced.

14:31 // The first day of the Kickstarter campaign set off a media firestorm; coverage of the campaign’s overnight success appeared on virtually every gaming news program and talk show out there. A handful of them are represented here and can be seen in full by clicking on the following links (listed in order of appearance): Novede,

15:02 // The photoshoot featuring Tim with lots of money was for a GDC awards presentation, and later featured on VentureBeat.com.

15:37 // Dave returns as the Adventure fan “I told you, ADVENTURE GAMES ARE NOT DEAD!”

17:10 // Every Monday the entire Double Fine team gathers to discuss the previous week's events and set new goals for the following days.

17:45 // The final countdown to the end of the campaign was broadcast live from the Double Fine office via Ustream. Simultaneous viewers reached numbers close to 10k.

18:00 // We would have had a Zapruder moment on our hands if that champagne cork had popped two seconds earlier. Watch it frame-by-frame.

21:36 // Cameo appearance by Tim’s daughter Lili.

Update 7 was the backer forums opening so it doesn't look like you missed it :lol:

Can't wait to click play on the above video! I'm going to fix myself a bacon sandwich and watch it in style.

Update 7 was the backer forums opening so it doesn't look like you missed it :lol:

Oh, Right....I feel dumb now.....

That was so awesome, great job with this. Can't wait for the rest.

Money Shock Therapy! I want that. The scene it´s like that Demi Moore one on Indecent Proposal but with more hair.

That was...

INCREDIBLE!

So glad I'm part of this project, and extra special glad that 2 Player Productions is part of it, everything I have seen from them is golden.

Where can we find the download for the HD video?

This video is already 720p HD think the download is later on in the project.

Very nice video. Thanks a lot guys!

Without sounding like a douchebag I have one question: do the voices of people speaking sound really quiet to anyone else? For me it seems like they dip up and down a lot and aren't "normalized" in any way. It's very "dynamic" :) It's not a soundcard issue or anything.

Anyway, great to get the ball rolling! This is gonna be an awesome game!

That was cool, and a heart warming first episode. I also must say the production quality is fantastic, props to the documentary team.

02:33 // We used footage from Gamespot’s live stream but we did actually film that night at the GDC awards as part of our work on the Minecraft documentary. Keep an eye out for the Notch cameo.

Huh, I thought I saw someone familiar.

Wow, that was incredible. Well done 2 Player Productions. Documentary is coming together very nicely.

Gotta say,, Player 2 prodductions are great film makers, that was well shot well edited stuff, i really enjoyed it.

Oh yeah, Double Fine too, that was cool.

Loved it!

Can't wait for more and will be watching this again tomorrow!

Without sounding like a douchebag I have one question: do the voices of people speaking sound really quiet to anyone else? For me it seems like they dip up and down a lot and aren't "normalized" in any way. It's very "dynamic" :).

Yes it is the same here for me ;).

ooh my gosh this was so great!!! aaa this is so exciting and is looking to be completely amazing!

I can't think of anything else to say other than keep it up!

That was amazing and really well put together, I'm looking forward to more of these 2PP are doing a great job.

Can't wait to watch. More excited about the documentary than the game!

Where can the $100 backers download this?

Thank-you and keep up the great work!

That was fun to watch, nice work 2PP folks.

Tim's $1M dance was funny. :lol:

I enjoyed it a lot, and btw. i also did like the film music.

Looking at the movie i also was remembering what a exciting but also straining time this was. I remember quite some days when i couldn't sleep due to the excitement, couldn't fall asleep and watched the movies over and over again, waked up in the middle of the night just to check the counter, did lots of posts on different forums to spread the word, coded a lot to distract myself the best i could and so on. Once the project was backed it almost felt like a relieve and i promised myself taking a few steps away from kickstarter for some time in order to refill my batteries.

So this project definately made me older but also happier, thanks! :o)

@Ron

I would throw in everything i have again for another DF adventure.

And i like how the cute woman at 15:24 says "so exciteeed".

I just watched. Really great.

Serves to increase more and more, the expectation for this game. And relive the good moments during the campaign.

:)

PS: Double Fine, make a Portuguese version of the game!!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0