• Maniac Mansion
    • Simon the Sorcerer 2
    • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Journey Down
    • The Last Express
    • Under a Killing Moon
    • Zak McKracken

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

102 posts in this topic

After the incredible success that was DFA Game Club: DOTT, we're ready to move on to ROUND 2! For those of you who aren't in the know, we get together every Saturday at 12:00 PDT to play a point and click adventure for a couple hours. We chat about what we like, and what we think could be improved on. Here's the details for the chat room:

Browser-based chat!

If you have a chat client, such as mIRC:

IRC Server: irc.foonetic.net

Channel: #DFAdventure

Sometimes we'll be able to live stream video. We'll let you know a bit ahead of time if this is going to happen. In those cases, here's a link to the stream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/double-fine-game-club

*edit: Looks like the winner is Full Throttle! Fun stuff!

While not the most intriguing to me, voted Botanicula since it's the current Humble Bundle, and therefore accessible to everyone, and fresh off the presses and therefore now is a great time to discuss.

Voted Full Throttle, though I also have access to Botanicula, Machinarium, Maniac Mansion, and ToMI. I haven't bought Superbrothers but I'd probably be able to snap it up since it's just $8.

I voted The Last Express, as it's a relatively unknown yet highly regarded game with some unique gameplay features I'm excited to try out, as well as available for $6 on GOG.com. It's apparently quite devious with a wide range of outcomes, which could be interesting as people are likely to suffer different, and hopefully horrible, fates.

Just a heads-up, Gemini Rue is Today's Steam deal - 50% off...

I personally voted Gabriel Knight because I haven't played it in years and it'd be good for anyone who hasn't already played it to possibly generate a little extra interest in Jane Jensen's kickstarter - from what she's said so far Moebius is going to be thematically very similar to GK1. (GK1 is available on GOG for $5.99 for anyone looking for a copy by the way).

Gabriel Knight for me, definitely! Really would like the opportunity to play it with you all!

For me Beneath A Steel Sky. It did so many things right, from the comic book intro to the original universe, the humor, all in all a definite classic.

Plus it's FREE and runs beautifully on ScummVM, which i'm sure is welcome after Kickstarter draining our funds ;)

Re: Gabriel Knight

I haven't checked in quite a while, but I remember there being an unavoidable glitch that made the game unwinnable if you tried to play it through DOSBox. Does GOG's version run in its own environment? If so, it might be immune to that bug and end up as one of the few viable ways to go.

Is Full Throttle available on Steam or any other online distributors? I'd love to play it again. Lost my copy in a move about 10 years back. :-(

Is Full Throttle available on Steam or any other online distributors? I'd love to play it again. Lost my copy in a move about 10 years back. :-(

Not that I'm aware of, but just know that you have Tim Schafer's blessing if you wish to get a copy though... other means, since it's been out of print for years and even if you bought a copy in new condition the only people that would see the money from that sale would be some guy on Ebay or whatever shop you bought it from.

Beneath a Steel Sky. Its real easy to download free, is a good game, and if memory serves is fairly quick to play through.

great selection of games!

If only more people were aware of the last express, it would win :D

I just finished Bontanicula today and would love to know what you guys think of it. Great game. I love the sound and music especially.

Can I just say, I'd REALLY appreciate a live stream?

I'm really swamped with work and work a lot of weekends, so I'm doubtful I'd be able to join in.

A live stream though, I could be cheeky and just have it open in a little window on one of screens ;)

Anyone got suggestions for a good streaming service? Whatever it was they streamed the kickstarter celebration on ran like rubbish for me (in New Zealand) and I barely saw any of it.

This really would give me warm fuzzies :D Especially if we got some kind of commentary during.

Games i would very likely play along with include:

Beneath a Steel Sky

Bontanicula

Gabriel Knight

Gemini Rue

Gray Matter

Machinarium

The Last Express

It does help that i already have those games :D

I'm not quite sure playing a game not focused on comedy would be able to offer much that's beneficial to the production of Double Fine's new IP. Mood in a game can definitely sway the approach that is taken for an adventure game that would be contrast to those games harboring other moods. For example, comedic adventure games have used idioms as the idea behind the approach of certain puzzles. Solutions in such games also commonly are zany and unrealistic, which provides a means of thinking outside of the box in a way different than a suspense, drama, or horror adventure. Comedic games tend to have people veer towards absurd solutions, whereas a game like Last Express would require the person to interpret a puzzle in a logical progression and a realistic manner, and to react to situations in a game with a collective mindset. Neither is wrong, but it is the 'relationship' between a game and its audience that a developer anticipates would occur that helps direct the game's approach. Much like attempting to say something facetious at a funeral or in the midst of an argument, it just doesn't bode well.

I don't deny that playing such games can still add some benefit to the creative process for this new game, but playing a game that is more "lighthearted" like Botanicula or even Beneath a Steel Sky would prove to be most nourishing.

Not that I'm aware of, but just know that you have Tim Schafer's blessing if you wish to get a copy though... other means, since it's been out of print for years and even if you bought a copy in new condition the only people that would see the money from that sale would be some guy on Ebay or whatever shop you bought it from.

In that case I'll throw my vote behind Simon 2. It's been a while since I've played that.

I thought I posted here? Did it get deleted or did I close my browser by accident? I think the former?

I put a vote in for Zak, and I'll vote for Zak next week if it doesn't go through. I unfortunately can't make playthrough this week. I'm going to be at MoCCA Fest in NYC.

If the T-shirts were in already I'd wear it Saturday or Sunday.

Anyways, whatever wins, looks like it's Full Throttle right now... Have Fun!

If Greg does commentary, please some make a transcript of his comments?

I'm voting Last Express, I adore that game. What a crazy unique and awesome experience it is.

Voted Gray Matter because I think every fan of the genre should play that. But I´m ok with pretty much every game on that list and already own most of them.

Except Simon the Sorceror 2. The Simon games are crap! >.<

The Last Express are Botanicula are games I am yet to beat, so those would be fun.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0