Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
asif2pp

Premiere of Bonus Video Series "Sidequest"

175 posts in this topic

Greetings, Backers!

Today we are pleased to present the first installment of our bonus video series, "Sidequest."

Over the course of the game's production, we're going to shoot a lot of interesting content that doesn't necessarily fit into the core documentary series. These videos will vary in length and focus on singular subjects or events, acting as supplements to the most recent episode. Although they will only be posted to this forum on an irregular schedule, we will summarize their contents in the next Kickstarter update. That way, even if you don't frequent the forums, you'll be able to catch up when the next part of the documentary is released.

In the first Sidequest, "My Father Told Me It Would Be Like This," Tim reminisces about the early days of his career at LucasArts. Show notes can be found below the video!

[vimeo]41111598[/vimeo]

00:20 - This footage was taken from the first interview with Tim we shot for the DFA project. The Kickstarter was still running at the time.

00:54 - Construction of the ranch began in 1978 and has cost George Lucas an estimated 100 million dollars. Coincidentally, Tim's uncle worked on it as an electrician during construction.

02:27 - Ron Gilbert and David Fox (Zak McKracken) in line for lunch.

4:04 - Heavy metal icon Ronnie James Dio was originally cast as the voice of Brutal Legend's chief antagonist, Doviculus. Although he visited Skywalker Sound to record his part for the game, the character evolved over the course of production and Dio was eventually replaced by Tim Curry.

4:31 - George Lucas has a large private collection of Norman Rockwell originals. He has often cited "Peach Crop" as one of his favorites.

5:17 - Kerner was originally a front for George Lucas' special effects company, Industrial Light & Magic. The famed Hollywood institution chose to hide in plain sight under a different name instead of surrounding it with a conspicuous amount of security measures. It eventually became an autonomous company in 2006 and then ceased operations in 2011.

6:31 - Tim got this a little mixed up during the interview; the concept art for the Ambulatory Plant was actually taken by Dave Grossman, co-creator of Day of The Tentacle. If you go back and look at the photo of Tim at :34 seconds in, you can see that he picked a different Star Wars alien (and Spaceman Spiff!).

06:53 - At this point we’re testing the waters to see if Tim can take us on the Ranch tour.

07:36 - The Nicholas Turkey Farm is now closed.

09:19 - The Grand Lake Theater is still open and showing a mix of independent and studio films.

13:10 - Tim posted scans of his original application to Lucasfilm on the Double Fine Blog.

Way to dial up the awesomeness! Thank's! This will help to easy the pain from waiting for the next episode.

Between the video updates and the forum posts from the DFA team, we should provide a fairly consistant flow of information for you guys.

Great, thanks (typo in "Pyschonauts" xD)

Dang, thanks for pointing it out. Will be corrected in the future.

At this point we’re testing the waters to see if Tim can take us on the Ranch tour.

Would be cool to see Tim revisit the Ranch. :-)

At this point we’re testing the waters to see if Tim can take us on the Ranch tour.

Getting permission to film at the ranch is nigh impossible.

Thanks for that, it's great. Hope to see more! Although the story about... ummm... banging chicks was maybe too much :]

On a side note: is it my headphones or the volume is sort of wavy? I couldn't hear some of the words while some others were too loud.

Fingers crossed. You gotta have a Ranch tour / burger eating montage

(edit: but, as Paul said, it's unlikely)

On a side note: is it my headphones or the volume is sort of wavy? I couldn't hear some of the words while some others were too loud.

Since this first Sidequest did not go through the same audio post-production process as the documentary episodes, it's likely that there's a bit more variation than usual. This will be resolved in future installments.

I was just wondering what was going on and clicked on the forum to check. This is great! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for keeping the ball rolling, it's not easy.

Since this first Sidequest did not go through the same audio post-production process as the documentary episodes, it's likely that there's a bit more variation than usual. This will be resolved in future installments.

So who's documenting the documentary process?

Neat, so this will be like the stuff the documentaries don't cover but is interesting nonetheless? I'll be sure to stay tuned. I've never been a big player of Double Fine games, but I love the connection that you guys have with the community. Definitely making my donation worth it.

Yes! Exactly!

I want to see a video about the people who make the documentary about the documenteers that show us how the saussage gets made.

But I wonder how they do it.... Perhaps If somebody would make a documentary about that...

But seriously (even if I am repeating myself - and I AM): Great stuff and a great transition and cliffhanger to the hopefully upcoming sidequest Video about Ron.

Neat, so this will be like the stuff the documentaries don't cover but is interesting nonetheless? I'll be sure to stay tuned. I've never been a big player of Double Fine games, but I love the connection that you guys have with the community. Definitely making my donation worth it.

Exactly. Glad to hear you feel you're getting your money's worth!

Thanks for the video. This experience is turning out so funny, creepy, amusing and overall heartwarming; coming to these forums to see whats new just makes me happy.

Yes! Exactly!

I want to see a video about the people who make the documentary about the documenteers that show us how the saussage gets made.

But I wonder how they do it.... Perhaps If somebody would make a documentary about that...

If I may kindly direct you to the segment of this clip between 1:28 and 1:39 .

That's just a little too much sausage.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0