• Maniac Mansion
    • Simon the Sorcerer 2
    • Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
    • Tales of Monkey Island
    • The Journey Down
    • The Last Express
    • Under a Killing Moon
    • Zak McKracken

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

174 posts in this topic

For those of you who aren't in the know, we get together every Saturday at 12:00 PDT to play a point and click adventure for a couple hours. We chat about what we like, and what we think could be improved on. Here's the details for the chat room:

Browser-based chat!

If you have a chat client, such as mIRC:

IRC Server: irc.foonetic.net

Channel: #DFAdventure

Sometimes we'll be able to live stream video. We'll let you know a bit ahead of time if this is going to happen. In those cases, here's a link to the stream: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/double-fine-game-club

UPDATE: Hey guys, I'm not going to be able to make it on 5/19. I've got a birthday party to attend. You should all still play and keep the conversation going! I'll catch up at some point.

We discussed the idea of playing Gabriel Knight -- and trying to get Jane to join in.. We should push for that! Maybe it'll happen -- It'd be great publicity for her before her Kickstarter finishes!

I've never played Gabriel Knight before (I know, shame on me) and I'd be interested in trying it out. I'll vote for that one.

We discussed the idea of playing Gabriel Knight -- and trying to get Jane to join in.. We should push for that! Maybe it'll happen -- It'd be great publicity for her before her Kickstarter finishes!

Quoted for coolness.

If we only had the creator of the last 2 games provide some comments during game-play. I guess it's a very difficult logistic operation.

Tough competition this week. I'm voting for The Last Express. Any chance of getting Jordan Mechner in on that?

hmm...I never heard of Gabriel Knight but it's the most voted right now...someone want to describe it a bit for me please?

I let MobyGames do the job:

Gabriel Knight is a wise-cracking bookstore owner and would-be author. He is the last in a long line of Shadow Hunters, those fated to fight supernatural forces of evil. Tormented by terrifying nightmares, he must spend every waking moment scouring the side streets and back alleys of New Orleans for the key to his dark past. One day, a blood-chilling murder shocks the inhabitants of the city. The police detective assigned to investigate the crime is Gabriel's friend. In the beginning Gabriel collects evidence in hope of using the material for his new novel; but soon he finds himself personally involved in the investigation, and plunges deeper into the world of secret societies and murderous cults.

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers is a third-person puzzle-solving adventure game. Created by Jane Jensen, the game differs from Sierra's Quest games (e.g. Space Quest) by having a realistic setting and focusing (despite its supernatural elements and humor) on mature themes and detective work. In this way it is more similar to the company's earlier Laura Bow games.

The game's icon-based interface is the same as in Sierra's previous titles, with verb commands that allow interaction with the game world and its inhabitants. Though the game still has plenty of inventory-based puzzles characteristic for classic adventure, its gameplay is heavily inclined towards dialogue. Typically, Gabriel will have to interrogate other characters, choosing conversation topics and thus gradually finding clues and advancing towards the mystery's solution. [...]

's the intro and
the first scene of Gabriel Knight. Don't want to spoil anything more. ;)

hmm...I never heard of Gabriel Knight but it's the most voted right now...someone want to describe it a bit for me please?

my first adventure was monkey island 1 which my dad bought me. i consider myself a huge adventure fan, but i too am ashamed to admit that i never played gabril knight until about 2001 when, again my dad bought a compilation of the series. i REALLY missed out in the early 90s. GK is now one of my top 3 all time favorite adventures. (others being monkey island 2, and fate of atlantis)

in other words. get on over to good old games and buy it :)

Do we have to do this vote thing for this round?

Since we've got Jane Jensen's kickstarter approaching it's last few days, can't we just do Gabriel Knight? Or Grey Matter, because that would run a lot better on modern computers...less mucking about with DosBox and whatnot. Also it's a lot more user-friendly for modern audiences but still maintaining that magnificent Jensen storytelling prowess.

Damn democratic voting practices...;)

Anyways...I voted for The Last Express.

No, obviously not. I voted GK1. :)

I heard much about Gabriel Knight and its awesomeness, but never really played it. I downloaded a demo, back in the day, and was unable to work out what was going on or what to do, which I suppose means the demo didn't deliver what it was supposed to.

So whilst it wasn't my vote, this would be a good thing as I want to know what the fuss was all about!

I would also like to play GK1, but how well does it play in today's computers? Is it only gonna fill a super small part of the screen because of resolution issues?

I would also like to play GK1, but how well does it play in today's computers? Is it only gonna fill a super small part of the screen because of resolution issues?

It works just fine. Just played my way old cd-rom version with the Sierra patch. The game is also available on GoG without any issues.

It works just fine. Just played my way old cd-rom version with the Sierra patch. The game is also available on GoG without any issues.

Perfect! I'll get it from GOG then and give it a try. Thanks!

Let's play this one.

Voted Gabriel Knight, since I recently bought it and haven't gotten around to really play through it yet (the first one, that is).

Interesting how many people haven't played the classics, or would rather replay them instead of trying newer titles (for nostalgia's sake? The familiarity?). I do love GK1 and the Beast Within (one of my personal favorites), but I'd really like to see where modern adventure gaming is at in terms of how the genre might be evolving. I'm split between Botanicula and Sword & Sworcery EP, though I'll probably play through both just to be safe :)

That said, I won't complain if I have an excuse to play through GK1 again!

Beneath A Steel Sky. Though I have never played Gabriel Knight.

Woulda voted Grim Fandango if it were an option, but put up Gabby Knizzle.

Woulda voted Grim Fandango if it were an option, but put up Gabby Knizzle.

3 schafer masterpieces in a row wouldv overloaded the awesome-meter, causing awesome shortages everywhere.

Grey Matter! Rodney Dangerfield was right! No respect! ;)

But I love how pretty much every other game is getting plenty of votes.

I would like to suggest "Shadow of the comet" and "I have no mouth and I must scream", I didn't saw them in any post and they are very good games.

Voted for the Last Express, since I own it but haven´t played it, but I´m ok with Gabriel Knight also. It´s cheap on GOG.com, just like The Last Express, so everyone should be able to participate.

BENEATH A STEEL SKY!!!!11

Sorry, I got a bit excited there.

We still have enough time to try out many new games :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0