Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Chris Remo

Kickstarter Backer Country Stats

173 posts in this topic

Hey folks!

A couple people have asked for a breakdown of backers by country, so I put together a pie chart showing the 17 countries with the most backers--these are the countries whose backers make up 1% or more of the total. The chart would have been difficult to read if it also contained the rest of the countries, so I listed those below.

Note that this data is only based on the surveys we've received so far--so it doesn't take into account backers who pledged only at the digital level. As such, it is not necessarily representative of the entire set of backers. It may be the case that the digital-only tiers have a higher proportion of international backers who didn't want to deal with overseas shipping--but that also may not be the case! We just don't know. When we get a fuller set of backer data in down the line, maybe we can revisit this graph.

ks_stats_countries.png

Top 17

USA - 52%

United Kingdom - 8%

Australia - 7%

Canada - 7%

Germany - 5%

Sweden - 3%

Norway - 3%

France - 2%

Netherlands - 1%

Finland - 1%

Spain - 1%

Denmark - 1%

Switzerland - 1%

Austria - 1%

Italy - 1%

Brazil - 1%

Belgium - 1%

<1% (in descending order by number of backers)

Ireland             

New Zealand         

Russia              

Israel              

Singapore           

Japan               

Poland              

Argentina           

Portugal            

South Africa        

Mexico              

Iceland             

Czech Republic      

Greece              

Taiwan              

Slovenia            

Malaysia            

Romania             

Luxembourg          

United Arab Emirates

Turkey              

Hong Kong           

Hungary             

Korea               

Cyprus              

Colombia            

Estonia             

China               

Chile               

Faroe Islands       

England             

Croatia             

Indonesia           

Malta               

Latvia              

Saudi Arabia        

Thailand            

Channel Islands     

Liechtenstein       

Philippines         

Bulgaria            

Macao               

Scotland            

Wales               

Serbia              

Reunion             

Slovak Republic     

Kuwait              

Fiji                

San Marino          

Brunei Darussalam   

Lithuania           

Peru                

Curacao             

Lebanon             

Oman                

Cayman Islands      

Kazakhstan          

India               

Ukraine             

Hmm, interesting, thought that Germany played a bigger role.

BTW regarding the <1% countries: Last time I have checked Scotland, Wales and even England belonged to the UK ;)

Neat. It would be interesting to see the amount of money contributed by each country, as well.

It's crazy that Ukraine is on the very last place. Next thing you'll tell me that I'm the only backer from Ukraine.

It's amazing to see how many people of so many different countries participated, thanks to the internet. A mere 10, 20 years ago this wouldn't had been possible. We're in the future!!

Thanks for the data, Chris!

No, BAD CHRIS! Don't use a 3D pie chart, those are meaningless! Compare Belgium's and the Netherland's 1%. They should be the same size but due to the 3D they look different.

3D is evil, especially in statistics ;)

Scandinavia represent! Add us together and we're at 8%, same as UK! Very nice considering we have roughly half their population.

Cool! It would be nice to see the counts for the <1% categories.

You're the only backer from Ukraine ;)

I want some reward for that!

Seriously though, I though better of my country.

P. S. I really want some reward for that.

In other words: Don't waste your time with the EFIGS translations! Translate it to German, Swedish, Norweigan and French instead :-)

Scandinavia represent! Add us together and we're at 8%, same as UK! Very nice considering we have roughly half their population.

Yeah, it's pretty damn impressive.

In other words: Don't waste your time with the EFIGS translations! Translate it to German, Swedish, Norweigan and French instead :-)

Ehem. I take offense to that typo. >:( Nah, we're cool.

Isn't this skewed because of Kickstarter? I thought they had some USA payment requirements which is why Indigogo is popular is EU

Isn't this skewed because of Kickstarter? I thought they had some USA payment requirements which is why Indigogo is popular is EU

I think the US requirement is on the other end; the payee. Anyone in the world can give people money on Kickstarter, just like anyone in the world can order stuff from Amazon.com.

How come the UK is 8%, but England, Scotland and Wales are all separately below 1%? :D

Also, I think it's pretty impressive that Iceland and the Faroe Islands (combined population below 400.000) are both above Indonesia (population 230 million). I'm sure if you would show contribution per capita they would be up there with the US and UK. Just saying... (I'm Icelandic btw)

I think the US requirement is on the other end; the payee. Anyone in the world can give people money on Kickstarter, just like anyone in the world can order stuff from Amazon.com.

Hmmm. I don't think that's quite right. If I remember correctly, international backers had to jump through a few hoops to get it done. Right?

I'm from belgium, it's a small country but ... in the TOP 17 YEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAA ^^

I’m going to echo the call for a 2D pie chart, always liked them best, you could always do both anyway to appease all preferences.

Two things of note, I expected Germany higher since for awhile now is been the adventure capital of the world, and I noticed that all the top countries have a large English speaking population.

Of course I don’t know how further askew this chart would get with 100% of Backers included.

Adding the exact numbers for all the 1% countries would also be nice.

Oh hey yeah, that Scotland/England/Wales thing is weird. They are still technically countries though, just not sovereign ones! So I guess some people decided to identify as being from those places rather than from the United Kingdom generally.

Hmmm. I don't think that's quite right. If I remember correctly, international backers had to jump through a few hoops to get it done. Right?

I didn't have to jump through any hoops to back using my credit card, which was already associated with my Amazon account. I don't think you'll find too many Norwegians of 15+ years without a VISA card. It pretty much comes automatically with having a bank account. Might be part of the reason why the Scandinavian countries are so well represented.

Oh hey yeah, that Scotland/England/Wales thing is weird. They are still technically countries though, just not sovereign ones! So I guess some people decided to identify as being from those places rather than from the United Kingdom generally.

Well in that case, how about breaking down the US bloc by state? ;)

So, the correct figure is UK + England + Scotland + Wales + some part of Ireland, so more than 8%? Nice. Given the 'where are you from' polls and the level of interest in Germany, I'm surprised they aren't in second place.

I don't recall being asked to identify my country - where is that data coming from?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0