Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Levering_2pp

Help Test a New Video Player

256 posts in this topic

Hey Backers!

As you all know we've been using Vimeo as our delivery method for the DFA series. It meets most of our goals but still leaves something to be desired. As subtitles are currently in production, we're looking into other services that can offer that functionality while still meeting our privacy concerns.

It so happens we were introduced to the guys at Redux through some friends over at the Humble Bundle. Redux had recently supported the Humble Botanicula Debut with a stream and download option for the Czech film "Kooky", and they've shown interest in our Minecraft and Double Fine projects. Redux appears to be offering all of the features we want for the series, so we wanted to do a little test run and see how you guys felt about the performance and functionality.

Below you'll find a url and promotional key to watch Kooky. Try it out and let us know what you think! If you're having any issues with the player just leave a comment and we'll have someone from Redux try and figure it out. The switchover isn't going to happen unless we can be sure the service is a clear improvement over what Vimeo is offering.

And of course please keep this within the forums. It was very nice of Redux to extend this private key to us for testing purposes so lets be sure it doesnt end up floating around elsewhere on the net.

The url is: watchkooky.com

The private key is: rx-mc-991cdb7e62a7193b368245fc874b00c8

Once some of our subtitle tracks are done we'll move on to reposting the past DFA episodes to further test the user experience.

So just to be clear, we're not going to be making anyone sign up for anything to watch the series. If we go with Redux the videos will continue to appear in the forums and on Kickstarter as they have been, but they'll now include the option of subtitle tracks. There is also talk about support for web connected Tv's and set top boxes like Apple Tv. At the end of the series we'll also be able to offer the HD downloads to $30 backers via Redux.

That's all for now. Enjoy the movie and let us know what you think!

I just tried it, I get a lot of buffering in SD, doesn't seem to start for me in HD at all...

(I'm using Firefox on Windows 7 64bit if that helps)

Edit: Tried it in Chrome now, seems to work fine there, even in HD

Edit 2: It's now working fine on Firefox too, no idea why it didn't work before...

No buffering during playback for me, but took a long time to get started compared to typical youtube/vimeo videos. Acceptable picture quality (in SD).

(Chrome on Windows 7 64bit. Would be fine for future videos from my pov)

Works fine for me. No stuttering in SD or HD. The film itself looks a bit on the "soft" side like a very light film grain even in HD. Can't tell if that's how the movie is shot or if it has anything to do with compression.

Windows 7x64, Firefox 12

* Edit: added specs

Works fine for me. No stuttering in SD or HD. The film itself looks a bit on the "soft" side like a very light film grain even in HD. Can't tell if that's how the movie is shot or if it has anything to do with compression.
Probably a bit of both. We'll be able to do a direct comparison between Vimeo and Redux when a DFA episode goes up.

Works on iPad (3rd Gen).

Edit: It's looks/loads/sounds great. Tracking is fast. HD button included unlike Vimeo mobile.

so far i love it :D works right away no long buffering and most of all it actually plays on my tablet. Vimeo never worked on my tabled i always had to boot um my computer to watch it on vimeo. Vimeo was very buggy anyway. crashed alot. the new one looks alot better and more stable.

Works just fine for me. HD and SD work with no stuttering, and both let me seek to any point in the video and let me switch between HD and SD at any time with no fuss. The video buffered for no more than a few seconds for both HD and SD.

Firefox 13 Beta, Windows 7 64bit, if that information is of any interest.

Tried it in Firefox 12.0, under Ubuntu GNU/Linux. Works fine for me, both with HD on and off. It streams the .ogv file. Your Vimeo videos also work fine for me. One difference I've noticed is that the player used to stream Kooky allows me to pick any time in the video and start watching, while the Vimeo player requires me to wait until the stream has been downloaded until at least the time I clicked.

I get the error message: My browser doesn't support HTML5 video. I'm not using the newest browser (here at work). I believe we still use IE 7. However, one video wouldn't inspire me to change my internet browser, it usually takes a few different sites not supporting things before I'll get on board and upgrade.

Worked great in SD, even on my tiny, itsy bitsy processor. HD proved to be to much, as the video stuttered a fair bit.

Also, thanks for allowing me to watch Kooky, it's a movie I've been wanting to see for ages. :)

Worked fine for me (latest 64-bit Firefox on W7), but HD has too much compression blocking and artifacts, this is even much worse than youtube.

I guess it's ok if you will keep uploading unsubtitled videos on vimeo..

It looks pretty good - the HD works, only took 3-4 seconds to start then no more buffering, the video looks nice, etc. I think the player itself is more awkward than Vimeo, but that's just a design feature. Have you considered doing everything through both Vimeo and Redux? It doesn't cost anything to do so, does it? But hey, whatever works. Running Chrome, Windows 7.

Worked fine for me on Win7 64bit with IE9. SD/HD seemed to be no huge diff in quality, with instant playback. (100mbit conn though)

Lacking a maximize button though. Guess it's a simple option though for them to enable.

It works perfectly on my blackberry PlayBook's, browser the only problem is that it took a little while to start but thats probably just my slow internet.

Worked for me on chrome though it took a little bit to load up.

It's not working on my iPhone, though it's clearly supposed to.

(I see a play button with a slash through it over the preview image.)

For me the playback was juddery, even in SD. Could be because I have an older machine. Certainly a poorer experience than the current solution.

Works really fine on Safari, both in sd and hd.

This works great. I can't notice any difference between this and Vimeo except for the part that this actually works in FireFox for me - a HUGE improvement! HUZZAH!

Currently I am unable to get the video to load. It just sits there with the spiny thing up. However, I'm at work and while most things are unblocked, some things are and this could be one of them. Vimeo and YouTube (and a number of other video sites I've been to) are not blocked and load fine.

I'll try again at home later.

I had a lot of buffering with both SD and HD using Firefox.

On the other hand... I've had FF open for days without closing/restarting it, and that usually has some effect on its ability to stream video. I usually pause longer videos---DFA episodes included---and wait for them to completely load before watching anyway. (I hate YouTube's new "partial loading" thing it does for this very reason.)

Works nicely here (firefox 12, win 7), although is there a way to switch between HD and SD while the video is playing? I don't see a button for it.

Also, if I change to Windowed mode (the pop-out window), then double click to go Fullscreen, if I exit fullscreen it doesn't go back to the windowed mode. It isn't a problem, just sort of inconsistent seeming. I think it should go back to the last mode it was in when exiting fullscreen.

It workes fine for me in HD. No buffering at all. The film started right away.

I'm using Mac OS 10.7 with Firefox 12.

If this has better service than vimeo like subtitles I say go for it.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0