Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Chris Remo

Art Update #4: Team Growth and Backer Inspiration

104 posts in this topic

We are incredibly excited to announce that Scott Campbell and Peter Chan are joining the Double Fine Adventure concept art team! They'll be working alongside Lee Petty and Nathan "Bagel" Stapley, who have already been introduced by way of past art updates here on the forums.

Longtime Double Fine fans might recognize those names--Scott and Peter have both worked with DF since the early days of Psychonauts, and Scott is responsible for the seminal Double Fine Action Comics (buy his signed book!). Peter's history with Tim and Ron goes back much farther; he was an artist at LucasArts, and worked on Monkey Island 2, which shipped in 1991!

All four artists recently gathered here at the office for some visual brainstorming, and they were able to take advantage of the massive volume of input you guys generated after Tim put out a call for location ideas.

That's already resulted in some great pieces, so we wanted to pick out one piece from each artist to show off. These are definitely the most direct examples yet of backer input translating into game ideas. (Of course, like all concept art, there's no guarantee all this material will make it into the final game, but that's true whether the ideas come from us, from you, or from the weird radio frequency that is occasionally transmitted into my brain through my teeth.)

Feast your eyes on these!

leepetty.jpg

Lee Petty's illustration of a haunted lighthouse on the moon as suggested by Mancomb.

scottc.jpg

Scott C.'s illustration of an origami world as suggested by SethB, MarlinClock, Space_man, and Ammypendent.

peterchan.jpg

Peter Chan's illustration of a forest or jungle lit up by countless fireflies as suggested by muka3d.

bagel.jpg

Bagel's illustration of a starry sky over a field of bioluminiscent grass as suggested by Epphra.

Thanks to all the backers who participated! And this is just the start. We plan to ask for more community input based on that location thread, so keep an eye out for that!

woot! i think i like the origami one the most. but that really depends on how good the paper is going to look...

Very nice. This thread shows great promise, as I hope to see some more sweet concept art.

Sweet! Makes me curious about what other concept pieces our awesome artist team has stashed away over there. =D

I have to say, the origami world looks even more interesting to me now that I see the concept art drawn out. I especially like the idea of folding bits of the environment into other origami shapes to solve puzzles. =D

Welcome Scott and Peter to the DFA team.

So we're going to have worlds per character: boy and girl in REDS, nice!

...or from the weird radio frequency that is occasionally transmitted into my brain through my teeth

How the hell did you find out about that!

I am really into the origami world and also the firefly jungle. Wait... why not combine them?! If we just start joining unrelated ideas eventually something amazing will come out of it, right? Origami firefly ice jungle, anyone?

well ive hoped that they would be in different worlds and i hope they would somehow interact directly...i wonder if it could be through dreams or whatever. ive suggested that as well :). but i doubt i was the first :P.

I am really into the origami world and also the firefly jungle. Wait... why not combine them?! If we just start joining unrelated ideas eventually something amazing will come out of it, right? Origami firefly ice jungle, anyone?

and we have our "burn baby burn" award for this thread :P.

All these are interesting, but the origami world especially is bursting with creative potential.

Amazing!!! Yes!!! Scott Campbell AND Peter Chan for concept art, GOD YES!!!

All the drawings are awesome, especially "Peter Chan‘s illustration of a forest or jungle lit up by countless fireflies", I love it!

Re: Haunted Lighthouse on the moon

Lighthouses typically help sea vessels navigate, especially at night or in heavy fog. This begs the question of what a haunted moon lighthouse is assisting.

Also, is the haunted lighthouse on the moon haunted with....

uuVZw.png

I'm really glad Peter Chan is in on this. I absolutely love his concept art for Grim Fandango.

This is the cherry on top of this marvelous cake of love !

More artists, awesome! I love the work of both Scott Campbell and Peter Chan, so I'm super pleased with this news.

oh man i want to see way more peter chan stuff, his stuff doesn't get enough exposure on the internet

I like the extremely obese fireflies, I kind of imagine them bouncing around and fluttering futilely once they get a little bit of air from the bounce.

Nice! I really like the firefly-forest idea. It could work really well as an interesting game world to explore. What's up with those stilts? The bioluminescent grass could equally be very pretty with vibrant colours, lighting and animation.

I'm not too sure about the origami world. Although I do like the concept art, I think it might feel too 'constructed'. It all depends on the game's concept and story, I guess. In Psychonauts it could really make sense, for instance.

Great to see this game getting creative love from two more great artists! Can't wait to see everything come together. This game has so much going for it.

This is awesome news! Such talent to have working on one game :)

I am in love with the one made by Petty. Reminds me of The Neverhood for some reason, which is only a good thing.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0