Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guangling

Release Psychonauts' source under GPL

20 posts in this topic

The latest Humble Bundle was a huge success. Having a linux build of Psychonauts was one of the biggest reasons for me to purchase it. Unfortunately, the build is of inferior quality and very bug-ridden.

I cannot play the game with music, it crashes to desktop often and the textures are flickering all the time.

Although Icculus has released some patches, none of these major bugs have been resolved yet. A broken product was sold, i feel cheated :(

Please Double Fine, release Psychonauts' source (not the game of course!) under GPL, thus advancing the porting effort to a much needed second gear!

Arx Fatalis (released 2002), Doom 3 (released 2007) have already leaded the way.

Please Double Fine.... make it happen

sincerely

try play the windows version in wine?

Good point :)

But unfortunately that doesn't work for me either. Although Psychonauts has a "platinum" status at Appdb it doesn't work for me: no character models are rendered. When I use a very early version of wine i see character models but my gamepad doesn't work properly (as if the stick is continuously moved to the left). The reason I bought the Humble Bundle was to finally play Psychonauts :) Haven't been able to play it so far :(

The latest patch from Icculus was from 24th of June and no news so far about any progress :(

cheers

The latest patch from Icculus was from 4th of June and no news so far about any progress :(

There have been two unofficial patches ("We'll make a more formal build once we get some feedback") announced on his Psychonauts mailing list, but I haven't tried either of them myself:

http://icculus.org/pipermail/psychonauts/2012-June/000015.html

http://icculus.org/pipermail/psychonauts/2012-June/000026.html

The first one supposedly has "lots and lots of crash fixes" and "lots of audio fixes", while the second supposedly fixes some more crashes and a problem introduced by the first one.

Hi,

yep, i've already tried out those unofficial patches. Still no music, texture flickering and crashing occurs :(

I'm checking http://treefort.icculus.org/psychonauts/ everyday.

Thank you for mentioning the patches though, probably some people hadn't heard of them yet.

You could try one of the many emulators (Wine Is Not an Emulator), besides that i don't see why DF should release Psychonaut's source under the GPL, which is basically the same as releasing the game under the GPL, and so far i'm not sure why you say it isn't. I also fail to see why you ask for a open source release under the GPL instead of a Patch, which may even already be on the way - DF is a nice company, but it sounds like the game has some big issues under Linux so maybe it's just taking a while. Maybe one of the employees is going to read this and even come forth with some news. But please keep in mind that DF has 2 games in the making right now.

I also like to suggest: If you want to play a lot, then maybe you should think about a Windows partition. I used to use Slackware myself, but this just aren't the times of Win95 anymore, i keep my Vista partition going now since 2008 and i'm not particularly careful with my installation. It's not the pain in the arse that it used to be - give it a try if you want to play more games.

i doubt they'll release it for free when they're still making money off of it. i was also going to suggest a windows partition too but people who try to game on linux always seem to have whatever reason blah blah i can't afford it and get annoyed when you tell them to just use windows. it really would save the op a lot of trouble, though.

(not saying you shouldn't be upset for getting a product that is not functional, though)

To set things straight: I'm not asking DF to release the whole game for free :)

The source for the engines of Arx Fatalis and Doom 3 have also been released as open source but these games are still being sold! You cannot download the source, compile it and play the game! You still need to buy the game data in order to run the game. After the sources for Arx Fatalis were released, a whole community was born that started porting the game to linux. Check it out here:

http://arx-libertatis.org/

This would be much faster than the 1 guy (Icculus) working on it now.

cheers

ok i see. i imagine double fine has some sort of business reason for not releasing the source. HELLO DOUBLE FINE PEOPLE CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN YOURSELVES??? I KNOW YOU'RE READING!!!

now we wait...

This is an interesting topic that we've discussed some internally. We may decide to release source to our games in the future, but we have no plans to do so at the moment. Right now DFA is enough of an experiment on that front. Generally speaking, there are pros and cons to open sourcing our games, and we're not yet sure the pros outweigh the cons. In particular, if we were to open source a full game, we'd need to have the bandwidth internally to ensure that the "mainline" was well curated, that good updates were fed back into official binary distributions, etc.

PS - Hot, if you want our attention, we'd prefer you ask nicely. No need to yell or make demands.

OK YOU GOT IT BOSS! THANKS FOR RESPONDING!! NOW BRING ME MY PSYCHONAUTS 2!! Nnh2l.gif

image embedding doesn't work on this subforum :coolcheese:

i was looking at that Arx Libertatis thing guangling posted, and it looks like it's entirely run by the fans. what if you kept your official version of Psychonauts as is, and let the eager linux enthusiasts go off and make their own unoffical linux version called Psycholibre or Librenauts or something? you wouldn't need the internal bandwidth then.

i was looking at that Arx Libertatis thing guangling posted, and it looks like it's entirely run by the fans. what if you kept your official version of Psychonauts as is, and let the eager linux enthusiasts go off and make their own unoffical linux version called Psycholibre or Librenauts or something? you wouldn't need the internal bandwidth then.

That's exactly what I meant hot. Thank you for the thumbs up ;) Much appreciated!

cheers

Nathan, if bandwidth and code managment is the biggest problem, you can think about using this

http://github.com/

Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft, vmware, redhat, linkedin, mozzilla and other major companies uses it already.

Old good sourceforge could be good as well.

Nathan, if bandwidth and code managment is the biggest problem, you can think about using this

Facebook, Twitter, Microsoft, vmware, redhat, linkedin, mozzilla and other major companies uses it already.

Thank you for the input Voodooman. I've kinda lost hope this is gonna happen soon :( No new Linux patch has been released anymore and the game is still very broken.

Is Doublefine still using the Psychonauts engine for development of new games? Is this also one of the reasons?

Hey, Voodooman. Good to see you here.

We actually already use github for Moai (the engine for DFA). If we were to open source Pnauts, GitHub is almost certainly the source control platform we'd use. There's still time required for someone to look at the various pull requests, decide what to merge, make new Linux builds, etc, but it is a great foundation for sure.

Thank you for the input Voodooman. I've kinda lost hope this is gonna happen soon :( No new Linux patch has been released anymore and the game is still very broken.

Is Doublefine still using the Psychonauts engine for development of new games? Is this also one of the reasons?

I definitely can't make any promises about timing on this as it wasn't something we were really planning to do to begin with. We aren't using Pnauts engine for current/future games, but it's still not a simple decision for us to do this.

However, we are still working on both the Linux and Mac ports w/ our partners at HiB. We'll post more updates as we have them. Things are going slowly, but we're committed to ensuring that the Mac and Linux versions become awesome, even if it takes a long time.

Hey, Voodooman. Good to see you here.

We actually already use github for Moai (the engine for DFA). If we were to open source Pnauts, GitHub is almost certainly the source control platform we'd use. There's still time required for someone to look at the various pull requests, decide what to merge, make new Linux builds, etc, but it is a great foundation for sure.

Thanks) I was here since 1st steam update ;-D

Development of linux port for future steam linux release would be quite easy with open source community contribution.

I hope that some people would do thing like people did with doom, quake and other open source games - improve graphics and sound, add cool new features.

Btw do you have any plans to release editing tools you used fro psychonauts so people can mod and create new levels, scripts models and even make new custom stories? Would be nice to have that with steam workshop support for mod paks, this will give game big boost of sales and entire new life! With mod tools that allows to make levels and edit scripts, and with sourcecodes available i expect someone could do PsychoMatch (Psychonauts DM) - where all of Psychonauts characters fighting each other with various psy powers in VS, competitive or coop modes (Like racing level, just image that they was controlable by people an they need come to finish first, fight each other and collect items in same time. That would be real fun!

The biggest advantage would be the ability of the community to fix many of the bugs.

The other advantage is that the community could easily create certain data enhancement sets such as replacement modern textures and shaders like they have on the open-source FreeSpace, Decent and Lugaru HD projects