Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Levering_2pp

Sidequest: "I Was a Very Pleasant Baby".

74 posts in this topic

Greetings backers!

For this Sidequest we present to you an in-depth interview with Lee Petty, art director on the Reds project. Lee joined Double Fine during work on Brutal Legend and has since contributed to a number of projects.

With these developer profiles we hope to give you a look into the many creative minds working on the Double Fine Adventure. We'll continue to feature several different team members over the course of production, focusing on their personal backgrounds and professional experiences.

Extensive show notes follow below the video. Enjoy!

[vimeo]45661425[/vimeo]

00:54 - San Jose University website

01:10 - The CD format was established about 1985, but CD-ROM comics did not appear until the early 90s.

01:18 - Reflux: Issue.01 The Becoming. Published by Inverse Ink in 1995.

01:30 - Jim Lee Wiki

01:46 - Stan Lee's intro video to the Marvel Interactive CD-ROM Comic Book Series

02:07 - Atari 800 Wiki

02:11 - Young Lee sports a Dio shirt, a sign of things to come // Lee Petty - “I was a big Dio fan growing up. Before I joined Double Fine, Tim gave me a signed "Holy Diver" album where Dio had written "Lee, stop messing around. Come to Double Fine!"”.

02:40 - Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards

Amazon Store Link

Kickstarter Project to remake "Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards"

02:50 - Part of the “Temple of Apshai” series, “Gateway to Apshai” is pictured because it’s the only version we could find footage of running on the Atari 800.

Cartridge for "Gateway to Apshai" for sale on Amazon

02:54 - Ali Baba and Forty Thieves for Win 95/98

03:25 - The Return of Heracles

A clarification about the house where baby Heracles fights the snakes; the house they are in is the house of Amphitryon, who was his adoptive father.

04:00 - Artemis is the Greek name. Diana is the Roman name.

05:20 - The art for Captain America here is actually a Jack Kirby illustration, not Lee’s father’s work. We were unable to get a picture of one in time. It was most likely drawn in the style of Jack Kirby.

05:28 - Lee’s sketchbook appears courtesy of him. Thank goodness his Mom was able to find it so that we could have these gems.

06:00 - It was actually a Saint on skies, which isn’t nearly as offensive.

06:54 - Big Daddy Roth. [Wiki]

06:58 - Zap Comics was known for its counterculture satire and was first published in the 1960s. And its first issue had a label saying "Fair Warning: For Adult Intellectuals Only"

09:11 - Accolade was best known for Hardball, Star Control, Test Drive and Bubsy.

09:22 - Some of the first 3D accelerator cards included the S3 ViRGE (1995), AIT Rage, and the Matrox Mystique. 3dfx was a power player in the mid 90’s with their Voodoo graphics PCI card, an "add-on" card that you put in your PC that worked alongside the primary, 2D graphics card.

09:38 - Looney Tunes Racing (2000)

09:56 - Star Control

10:07 - “StarCon”// Lee Petty - “The title was the fourth in the Star Control series, which was going to be named "Starcon". It had a troubled development. It went from a 2D dialog tree space adventure game on the PC only to a 3D accelerated PC game only to a PS1 only space action combat title. All of this happened in the dawn of 3D games. Huge learning curves for the teams.”

10:41 - // Lee Petty - “This was an interpretation of the K'tang race. They were a weak, small race that relied on mecha. This design had three heads to allow 3 of the little dudes to pilot it.”

10:42 - // Lee Petty - “This was a re-interpretation of the classic star control race "Pkunk".

11:06 - Infogrames

11:15 - Circus Freak intro appears courtesy of Lee Petty.

11:24 - // Lee Petty -”Evil Genius was an original IP that Circus Freak was developing where players became a neophyte "evil genius" who was able to assemble and re-animate creatures of their own design.”

11:35 - "Superman: The Man of Steel"

11:55 - Crystal Dynamics // Lee Petty - “Crystal Dynamics had already been purchased by Eidos shortly before I joined. While I was there, they were purchased by SCI Interactive. Not long after that, it was clear that the company was for sale again and it was purchased by Square Enix shortly after I left.”

13:14 - Scott Campbell

14:18 - Landscape of the Sword Forest // Lee Petty - “The sword forest played on the idea that many of the Heavy Metal elements of Brutal Legend grew naturally from the landscape. This was a result of the ancient metal God Ormagoden's collision and absorption with the planet.”

15:18 -

16:02 - “Amnesia Fortnight” - explanation/ news article

16:04 - Joystiq article featuring a section of Lee’s explanation of Stacking

16:39 - Assassin’s Creed 2 development team actually had a total of 450 people working on it. [source]

17:41 - Projects at Double Fine Lee has worked on // Lee - “Brutal Legend, Stacking, Specs, Happy Action Theater, tiny bit of work for Once Upon a Monster, and several unreleased things I can't talk about!”

18:36 -Nathan "Bagel" Stapley’s Art Blog

Comic series on Double Fine website - DFAC: My Comic about Me

19:01 - Full Throttle

We actually had a hard time finding a good example of this in the time constraints, but hey, everybody loves Full Throttle! The fire left behind by the bike is kinda like an ambient effect...

19:26 - Lee’s forum post about the Pre-Visualization video.

20:25 - German expressionist Wiki [Photo Example]

21:24 - Scott’s art in this segment is of the Metal Beast. Lee’s art of the the Lamprey. Bagel’s art is of Ormagöden. And Raz’s piece is of the frozen path up Ironheade Mountain.

21:28 - The great master Frank Frazetta.

21:57 - Previously unreleased Red’s concept art featuring Spaceships and a Medieval Village.

Further down the rabbit hole we all go together.

Thanks for these updates. I hope you win a mother-trucking award for this.

I really like the footage of the games he's talking about, adds so much to it.

I love these Sidequests! Thanks for the update, can't wait for the next one.

Wow Lee is great! He seems really professional but also fun and creative!

Hearing the final part of the video I think the art of REDS is gonna be awesome! =)

21:57 - Previously unreleased Red’s concept art featuring Spaceships and a Medieval Village.

Those were a nice little surprise. I love the spaceship that's just a space cube.

Are you planning to make one of those for every major team member?

Ooh, little tidbits of concept art for REDS!

Also, Bagel filter sounds tasty.

Those were a nice little surprise. I love the spaceship that's just a space cube.

That's the plan!

That's the plan!

Who's next?

So cool that Double Fine is a company where you can get hired as an artist and end up serving as a project leader and/or game designer. The world is full of jobs where people refuse to do tasks that aren't in their job description or where your input on something won't be taken seriously unless it is your job to have input on that thing. It's cool that what really matters at Double Fine is awesome talent making an awesome game, no matter who is performing what role.

That's the plan!

Who's next?

Hasn't been decided yet. Whoever is easiest to edit.

Methinks it might be nice if the developer profiles had the dev's name in the thread subject line in addition to the Sidequest title, for clarity.

Good stuff.

Btw, on a technical note, I was getting a strange experience where the movie would be almost completely buffered, yet even only 3 or so minutes in I would get buffer stutter. This was with the HD version. Not sure what that was about. Haven't experienced it in previous videos here.

It's easy to take something like those few seconds of gameplay video with the stag and the wolves for granted. But that probably took a decent amount of to find that game then play through to that specific scene. Those little touches make all of these Adventure episodes and sidequests so good. Keep up the fantastic work!

Cool update, love the new snippets of artwork thrown in there... and that greek mythology game sounds like fun!

Haven't watched the video yet, but Stacking is an insanely awesome adventure game. Just saying.

Okay, now I'll watch. :)

Great updates! - Have to say I look forward to the sidequests just as much as the main updates. Great quality and great to watch!

Really have to get onto playing Stacking. I got it on Steam, but just haven't had a chance to play it :(.

Really have to get onto playing Stacking. I got it on Steam, but just haven't had a chance to play it :(.

It's a really cool game. And there's a really funny pin up poster somewhere inside that game as well :)

Bought it on PSN when it came out, but I think I might get it on Steam as well.

Surely Lee have played some of the games in the 8-16 bit era in recent times? Just so much good there to miss out on completely.

Great work again, 2PP; I pretty much watched everything to date yesterday and to think of all the filming and editing you have gotten done just over 4-5months is amazing!

Keep it up :)

It's easy to take something like those few seconds of gameplay video with the stag and the wolves for granted. But that probably took a decent amount of to find that game then play through to that specific scene. Those little touches make all of these Adventure episodes and sidequests so good. Keep up the fantastic work!

I was able to find everything else online but those "Heracles" clips had to be video captured on our end. Thankfully the parts Lee talked about were easy to find and the game is pretty fun.

It's a really cool game. And there's a really funny pin up poster somewhere inside that game as well :)

Bought it on PSN when it came out, but I think I might get it on Steam as well.

Surely Lee have played some of the games in the 8-16 bit era in recent times? Just so much good there to miss out on completely.

Great work again, 2PP; I pretty much watched everything to date yesterday and to think of all the filming and editing you have gotten done just over 4-5months is amazing!

Keep it up :)

Thanks, i think we're starting to find our rhythm.

Lee! My personal hero!

I really liked this interview, and...yes, you may call Stacking an adventure game. As a matter of fact, I think it's one of the best adventure games out there. :-)

Thank you so much! Amazing quality and great footage to go along with the interview. Looking forward to the next one! :)

Speaking of how awesome Stacking is, you should check out the DLC Lee made for it, The Lost Hobo King.

It's got ZOMBIES! Uh, I mean GHOULS!

Either way, there are some freaky undead dolls!

XBLA:

RM9WV-XXDX4-WPD2G-DW29F-CPG7Z

WQRRH-FFC72-VF92H-W77R3-J32CZ

WPFFV-TRWFX-VRJD7-R2DTF-DWGGZ

3HPYK-TP3FG-C74RP-9DHTR-GMHRZ

These codes are for PSN and PSN codes expire. I'm not sure if these have or not give 'em a shot. They're all I got!

8L6C-49N7-ATMN

9PMJ-HCN9-FGR4

PBHF-FNNK-GM86

27L6-RENF-5Q2E

344E-9CN5-4NTH

If you're nice to Greg Rice he might drop some pc codes... :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0