Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hot

Tipping

71 posts in this topic

This is like my biggest pet peeve about society. Why don't we just pay waiters/waitresses higher wages and factor it into the price of the food?

- I don't like being uncertain about how much I am supposed to tip. (Yes I know there are guidelines like 15% but that doesn't answer questions like how good or bad the service needs to be to deserve more or less.)

- I don't like slimy little teenagers expecting tax-free money just because they put on a fake smile and touched my shoulder.

- I don't like having to do the manager's work for him/her. It's their job to evaluate and reward their employees' performance, not mine.

It's even worse in Canada where waiters/waitresses make minimum wage but there is still the same tipping culture as in the US. >:(

2$ tip, take it or leave it are my rules.

And only to people who seem friendly even if I can tell they are giving me a fake smile, at least they tried.

But you dont have to leave a tip, so I dont see what the problem is, its not like they hold you hostage until you give them a tip.

technically speaking, at least in the US, tips are supposed to be taxed. I generally tip 15%, unless it is a holiday, or a really big order, in which case I tip more. I've rarely had such poor service that I felt like I should tip under 15%. Also if slightly under or over rounds out the bill nicely, sometimes I'll do that. All of my crappy cellphones have had calculator tools, personally I don't find the process that much of a hassle.

Personally I enjoy tipping. It gives me ability to encourage good service in those who provide it. I'm under no obligation to tip and won't if I find the service unsatisfying. But when I get someone who actually does a good job I'm happy to tip, hopefully the meager amount of money I'm leaving them brightens their day as much as they have mine.

@Warrior You don't have to give a tip, but everyone thinks you're a big douche if you don't. Also you probably get spit in your food if you ever go back.

@Tiny Just because it's ultimately not a huge hassle doesn't mean it can't be made better.

@Scarecrow What is a "good job"? In some other countries I understand that tipping is not expected unless they really go above and beyond (e.g. running down the street to get more pickles). I think I would be happy to reward truly exceptional service, but I don't like being expected to reward service that is just satisfactory.

A good job is a server who is always there exactly when you need them, they don't keep you waiting, the don't hover but whenever you find yourself needing them they are there. That's a good job, that's worth tipping, I don't tip often.

I've always wondered if you could tip the people at the drive thrus...

@hot

Well I guess you do feel kind of obligated to tip :/

But fuck anyone that gives me a bad attitude >:(

This is something about the US I never understood

Like. Why not just give waiters and waitresses a standard pay, and then people can tip if they want to on top of that? Because the way I understand it, they live off the tips they get and nothing else. And that just seems like a really crummy thing to do. Like how is that even legal, you employ people so they can work and only get paid based on the good will and kindness of other people??

Like. Why not just give waiters and waitresses a standard pay, and then people can tip if they want to on top of that? Because the way I understand it, they live off the tips they get and nothing else. And that just seems like a really crummy thing to do. Like how is that even legal, you employ people so they can work and only get paid based on the good will and kindness of other people??

Most tipped employees around here earn a wage of at least three dollars an hour.

No, waiters/waitresses get minimum wage plus tips. It's really a pretty well-paying job (depending on the place) considering all it really takes is a little energy and the ability to act polite.

My problem with tipping is that I work harder than any waiter/waitress that has ever served me and I make minimum wage without tips. So I basically don't eat out because I'd rather spend my money on things other than someone bringing food to me.

You can't. Also, the worst thing in the entire world is when someone goes to order in the drive thru and have a FUCKING GOD DAMN SCREAMING BABY CRYING IN YOUR FUCKING EAR, SHUT THAT KID UP OR DON'T COME BACK YOU GOD DAMN BITCH.

One car was so bad that I just flat out refused to take their order and they got pissed off and left

You can't. Also, the worst thing in the entire world is when someone goes to order in the drive thru and have a FUCKING GOD DAMN SCREAMING BABY CRYING IN YOUR FUCKING EAR, SHUT THAT KID UP OR DON'T COME BACK YOU GOD DAMN BITCH.

One car was so bad that I just flat out refused to take their order and they got pissed off and left

I would be pissed too. You have to put up with that sound for the duration of hat person's order They had to deal with before they got there AND when they leave. Maybe it's a poor parent who can't get their kid to shut up. But it's a poor worker who chases off business because they can't figure out how to deal with some background noise.

I would be pissed too. You have to put up with that sound for the duration of hat person's order They had to deal with before they got there AND when they leave. Maybe it's a poor parent who can't get their kid to shut up. But it's a poor worker who chases off business because they can't figure out how to deal with some background noise.

Minimum wage is not enough money for me to deal with that. I didn't have that kid, It's not in my job description to listen to it. If it's so bad that I can't even hear the order then I can't do my job, its not my fault if they can't shut their kid up.

Tipping is supposed to be for good service but no you pretty much have to tip.

go ahead, touch it. say what you're thinking. SAY IT, WAITER-SYMPATHIZER.

Minimum wage is not enough money for me to deal with that. I didn't have that kid, It's not in my job description to listen to it. If it's so bad that I can't even hear the order then I can't do my job, its not my fault if they can't shut their kid up.

But you could reason with them. Ask them to come inside, if they still give you attitude when you've tried other options then it's own them, they're in the wrong for not being willing to meet you half-way. And for all I know you did that, and if you did, good on you.

I just happen to think that one should never put themselves in a position where their character could be called into question, if you try your best and have good attitude about things and people still give you crap than it's on them.

There is only a few reasons for me to refuse service, one is if I physically can't take an order due to noise and the other is if people straight up ask me for free stuff "just because" if the person is nice I might upgrade their fries or something without charging, but if you order a $10 order and come up to the window and say "Hey can you hook me up with like 5 more burgers, just don't tell the manager, k" I will delete your order and send you on your way home.

Also, if the customer cusses out another employee or me, then they can go eat a dick because they waived their opportunity for anything in the store.

... That seems reasonable to me. And I can completely understand not being able to communicate because of noise and explaining that to the customer. Again if you did all you could and they choose not to meet you halfway then their in the wrong.

ha ha i was just about to make a thread complaining about tipping but then i realized that i had already done it

I don't see any reason for not tipping, unless the service was very bad. o.O