Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Chris Remo

Episode 4: Walking Around in Our Drawings

361 posts in this topic

Episode 4: Walking Around in Our Drawings

Backers! Hello! Here is an update!

Double Fine HQ recently played host to a creative extravaganza of unimaginable breadth and majesty: the Double Fine Adventure Art Jam. This event saw the powerful artistic forces of Scott Campbell, Nathan "Bagel" Stapley, Peter Chan, and Lee Petty join together to conceptualize new worlds, characters, and inventions. And to kill a whole lot of trees.

You saw some of the fruits of their labor in the last update, which included artwork based on backer ideas. Now, witness the event itself, and visit the artists' far-flung homes, in the most geographically ambitious documentary episode yet:

[vimeo]47182085[/vimeo]

JOIN US AT PAX

We will be attending the Penny Arcade Expo in Seattle from August 31 to September 2, and we hope you will be too! It's our first time as an official PAX exhibitor with a booth, and we'll have exclusive PAX merchandise, including new t-shirts, art prints, and more.

On Friday at 1pm, we will be screening documentary footage followed by a Q&A with Tim, Greg Rice, and 2 Player Productions' Paul Levering, hosted by Kickstarter's Cindy Au.

On Saturday at 7:30pm, Iron Brigade project lead Brad Muir and several other industry folks will show a selection of never-released prototypes and game concepts that have been consigned to development history.

On Sunday at noon, Tim will be joined by Erik Wolpaw (formerly of Double Fine, now of Valve) and other smart folks to talk about the intricacies of narrative and gameplay in game design.

Plus, on Sunday from 5pm to 9pm, join us at the Hard Rock Cafe for a fan meetup! Tim and other Double Fine team members will be there, so bring your friends! Come play Happy Action TV! Meet other backers! Wear your backer shirt! And have fun!

REWARDS UPDATE

Fangamer is still hard at work getting all of the t-shirts, posters, and pins shipped to backers who pledged at physical reward tiers. If you haven't yet received yours, fret not. Just keep an eye on your email inbox for a tracking notification (and check your spam folder occasionally). If you did get your notification or shipment, and something went wrong, email orders@fangamer.com -- they've been great about resolving issues!

SLACKER BACKERS

If you have friends who want to get in on the game updates and documentary, point them over to our Slacker Backer form. Everyone should have a chance at adventure!

EPISODE NOTES

00:10 - Back in March, Tim was guest of honor at New York University's Game Center. During his time in NYC he visited with Scott and Bagel to discuss the first plans for Reds. 2PP couldn't come along for the trip so Tim took a camera and shot everything himself.

01:05 - The T-Shirt that Bagel and Scott are wearing throughout the episode depicts the excellent comic artist Dustin Harbin.

Here is proof that he looks just like his t-shirt: http://www.dharbin.com/blog/tshirt-for-sale-you-love-him/

04:35 - Peter’s first game with LucasArts was Monkey Island 2. He was asked to draw a background during his interview and it was so well received it made it into the final game.

05:00 - On the wall of inspiration you’ll see some gnomes, Scandinavian and Japanese architecture, textile patterns, and Kiki’s Delivery Service.

10:37 - Some of the books referenced over the course of the art jam:

- Cosmic Communist Constructions Photographed

- Wolvertoons: The Art of Basil Wolverton

- Spaced Out: Radical Environments of the Psychedlic Sixties

11:36 - "

"

14:05 - The full list of Scott's ideas for recreation rooms on the spaceship: Main Bridge · Kid Throne? · Wild Jungle · Sunny Beach · Candy Room · Painting Crafts · Mud Zone · Animal Room · Boxing Gym · Workout Gym · Jungle Gym · Climbing Gym · Tree Room · Garden Zone · War Room · Racket Ball [sic] · Jogging Bowl · Go Cart Racing · Mini Golf · Music Room (DJ Party, Rock Band) · Tumble Zone · Ball Pit · Pizza Party · Field Goal / Pitching · Fireball Soccer · Laser Zone (<- eat a laser) · Barf Zone · Loud Room · Butt Slapping Zone · Joke Machine · Forts

15:40 - Let’s brainstorm locations together!

18:05 - During the art jam, Peter made a habit of arriving at the office to begin working at 7 a.m. while the studio was still relatively empty and quiet.

19:40 - Peter's work as a feature film concept artist is mentioned casually here, but don't let that fool you. Over the past 15 years, he's had a hand in shaping some of the iconic worlds in movies like Antz, Star Wars: Episode I, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone, and Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events. Some of their posters appear in the background throughout this scene.

21:00 - If this is the first time you’ve heard the name Ralph McQuarrie, stop what you’re doing and read this and click through the incredible slideshow at the bottom. The man designed Darth Vader. You owe him at least that much.

21:09 - If you look just above Peter’s desk here, you’ll see a small turquoise medallion bearing the Double Fine logo, 2-Headed Baby. Tucked behind it, there’s a black and white photograph of the skeleton from a pair of conjoined twins.

22:30 - Peter Tsacle served as Lead Artist on Grim Fandango. In addition to working with Tim on Full Throttle and Psychonauts, Peter has spent his more years working on the Sam & Max series at Telltale Games.

25:28 - The deer’s name is Jamal.

25:48 - If you ever find yourself on San Juan Island, you can hike these same trails by visiting Dead Man’s Cove and the Lime Kiln Lighthouse.

26:22 - When Scott was hired at Double Fine, his first task was to design the company logo, 2HB. According to him, Bagel’s first task was deciding what color to paint the walls. Tim recalls, "He had a lot of digital mockups, painting over photos of the office. We went with Golden Gate Bridge Orange."

31:40 - It was extremely hot in New York City the day 2PP visited Bagel.

34:00 - This is an early test of the 2HB engine running on the iPad. All you could do was make the Lumberjack walk back and forth.

35:45 - Here Ray is experimenting with different animation styles. The Lumberjack is still used as a placeholder because designs for the main characters haven't been settled.

43:00 - Lee Petty takes high resolution scans of all the concept art and uploads it to Double Fine’s internal server. This way everyone working on the project can quickly find and reference the concept art. We’ll also be collecting as much of the concept art as possible in the project’s art book release.

Yes, it's a puzzle! I'm sure too many retries won't suspend the account.

WOW that was beautiful, i really like the direction the story and visual style is going. I simply can't wait to see more and keep up the good work guys!

Loved it. Glad to see that we got to meet the concept artists in depth. Obviously, the less Tim, the less funny it is, but I didn't mind having something different.

Wow, Peter's story about his father saving his childhood drawings was really touching. Sounds like a great guy.

Best. Episode. Ever. Those of us who are 90s LucasArts fans know Tim and Ron but Peter Chan was in the credits for all those games. It's great to finally meet him, thanks to 2PP and everyone for putting the camera on him.

nice Atomic Books tshirt on Nathan “Bagel” Stapley. My favorite book store in Baltimore.

That was great great great! Thanks 2pp and artists! This was really what I was waiting for. To see the art developing. Again and again, it seems this is worth my money 100 times over. And there's a beautiful game at the end was well. But this documentary alone will be worth it. And this episode was the best yet (and the other ones were great as well, so that's saying a lot!).

edit:

And yes, it was absolutely great that you focused a bit on Peter Chan. He's one of my heroes, defenitely since I played Grim Fandango. Would love to see a book of all these storyboards.

That was fantastic. I like that stuffed rabbit who does stuff when you're not looking, haha. This is all looking really awesome.

Nice to know the artists and see their work. so much talent in one game!

By the way, cool blurry board, where can I get one?

So much concept art! Awesome! I've always loved Peter Chan's background art. I'm glad that he's involved.

Why isn't Peter McConnell part of the art jam?

Music is something that usually comes pretty late in a game's development cycle.

Wow! Simply amazing episode once again. Epic walls full of great new concept art. That place Mr. Chan has on the island just looks like heaven. Great to see a humble artist like him being able to be in such an environment.

I feel like I was overly fixated on the Philz coffee cups the whole time. I love Philz. Also, awesome to see such a wide range of cool art supplies instead of just a bunch of people using tablets.

Whoa, is that a machinarium plush I see behind Tim? Where can I get me one of those?

So much concept art! Awesome! I've always loved Peter Chan's background art. I'm glad that he's involved.
Why isn't Peter McConnell part of the art jam?

Music is something that usually comes pretty late in a game's development cycle.

That seems unfortunate, would be nice to see a more synesthetic design process. I suspect LOOM was an exception...

Wow really inspiring, I already wanna take a stroll around those environments.

Wow, in my opinion the best episode since Tim and Ron were talking about adventures, thanks!

It was great to watch all the concept art, which instantly gets your imagination flying around. I especially liked the green/yellow small little painting which looked to me like a building with a woman's head on top covered by her long hair floating in the wind, an to her you need to talk to in order that she let's you inside. The ellipsoid icarus island, that beehive like landscape in the beginning, the yellow communication dude with the organic background... and so on. I wish there would be some shots of the concept art for a photo gallery so that you can take a closer look at all of them. Also interesting to see the process and how they each prefer to work.

But the best thing is, that there will be a S P A C E component in the game. :o)

Wow, I really have to say this is amazing.

And seeing the expression on Tim´s face,

this mellow state of mind, being totally

satisfied with what is happening at that

moment. Well, really looks great to me.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0