Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Brad

IRON BRIGADE PC live stream! 8/15/12 @ 4pm!

23 posts in this topic

UPDATE: we're having some technical problems and we're going to delay it till 5pm! We're transferring over to another PC and we'll get it rolling ASAP! Sorry about the delay! We'll make sure to give away some extra codes. :D!

Hey everyone! It's me again! :D!

We're effing excited about the PC launch of IRON BRIGADE! The game will be going out on Steam on Monday, August 13th for $14.99. Woo!

We're going to live stream some Double Finers playing the game on http://www.twitch.tv/doublefine on Wednesday, August 15th at 4pm PST!

Chris Remo and I will be hosting the DOUBLE FINE ACTION STREAM while 4 key IRON BRIGADE team members work their way through the game. We'll give some commentary on the gameplay, talk about the game's development history, and probably host some surprise guests! Plus we'll give away some free codes for the game!

But! The most important part of the stream will be answering questions from YOU GUYS. If you have a burning IRON BRIGADE-related question that you've always wanted to ask then NOW IS THE TIME. We'll be taking questions from the live chat stream as well as questions from this thread!

Hopefully you can tune into the stream and hang out with us - I'll post a link here once it's available! And thanks again for your support!

Love,

Brad!

I have been wanting to play this game for quite sometime. I think I'll be getting this game so that I can play something other than Starcraft 2 and random adventure games. Also gotta love that Mr. Muir :D

... and probably host some surprise guests!

Surprise guests? I can hardly wait! Did you bribe Redphienix with a press hat to fly out there and appear on the show?

I don't think any questions I have could possibly ever top the famous "Drenched" one, but I'll be there! :D!

Will a video of the stream be available after you've finished it? I probably won't be able to watch it live, but I'm really interested in seeing it.

I'm gonna be busy playing Iron Brigade. ON PC!!! WITH MY MOUSE!!! AND KEYBOARD!!!

Iron Brigade,cause Steel Battalion sucks.

There's a very good chance that I'm going to go ahead, and bite the uncomfortable bullet of playing games on the pc so that I can start playing IB again. I love this game too damn much to stay away.

There's a very good chance that I'm going to go ahead, and bite the uncomfortable bullet of playing games on the pc so that I can start playing IB again. I love this game too damn much to stay away.

A comfy chair makes all the difference in the world for gaming on a PC. I used to use a very uncomfortable cheap chair for my PC a few years ago (I still have it, and it's nicknamed "The Throne of Woe"), and my back would hurt so bad after spending a while on my computer. My current chair is one of those standard executive-style chairs with the tall back and armrests (armrests are also very nice to have, so you don't have to suspend your arms in the air all the time when using the keyboard and mouse), but I've lined the back with pillows. It looks silly, but I don't care.

My posture is just so many different kinds of ass that I find it very difficult to play games on a computer. But yeah, a better chair could help.

Also, playing with a keyboard is just completely unintuitive (not really a word) for me. I grew up with consoles, and never even owned a computer until I was about 23.

Also, playing with a keyboard is just completely unintuitive (not really a word) for me. I grew up with consoles, and never even owned a computer until I was about 23.

I didn't have my own computer until my late teens. I grew up as a console gamer, but made the full switch to PC gaming around the time the latest generation of consoles were coming out. It took me a while to adjust to keyboard controls. I remember being horrible at Half-Life because I found the controls to be awkward, having grown up using controllers. Now, save for a few genres like platformers or racing games, I prefer keyboard and mouse controls.

Iron Brigade will support 360 controllers, though. You could always just plug one of those up, and it'd almost be like playing it on an Xbox.

Oh I have a question for you Brad: Why can't I pre-order the game right now, huh ? WHY ?

In all seriousness, looking forward to that ! Will you be playing with fans over the internet ? Iron Brigade IS a game about love after all...

Will a video of the stream be available after you've finished it? I probably won't be able to watch it live, but I'm really interested in seeing it.

Yep! Twitch.tv automatically archives streams.

Oh I have a question for you Brad: Why can't I pre-order the game right now, huh ? WHY ?

In all seriousness, looking forward to that ! Will you be playing with fans over the internet ? Iron Brigade IS a game about love after all...

For this stream it'll all be DF folks on the stream--we'll have the Twitch.tv guys here in the office helping us get a good stream setup going and it makes sense to have everyone in the same physical space on the same network for this purpose. But in the future, who knows?

I'll be there to see the ship launch for the second time! Or should I say, actually, there to help defend the docked ship that's being overrun by Monovision scum. ^_^

EDIT: Oh, wait, questions? I already asked the one about the patching of the game, in those other few threads, but that's something you guys likely can't answer anyway. A lot of the behind-the-scenes stuff, related to the nitty-gritty of getting the game to market, is probably stuff your publisher won't allow you to say. This, even despite your guys' usually being incredibly forthcoming with those kinds of things. And we love you guys for that; this deserves to be reiterated. We know, quite well, that you guys are always as open as is legally allowed - and this ties to your being such a community-centric team.

Watched the archived stream. Great stuff! Thanks for answering my question about the Brütal Legend/Double Fine paintjob stuff. Hope it works out and it gets patched in at a later date. This was a lot of fun to watch, didn't feel like 2 hours. Keep doing them, I say.

There should totally be a minigame in Happy Action TV where the player gets a Chris Remo-skin and gets to kick beer bottles down. After that the Remo gets to point at any of the other players, and whoever gets the blame for the spilled beer gets fired from Double Fine.

Finally found time to watch it (currently doing)

I NEEDED TO HAVE BEEN THERE.

If only to repeatedly type "PRESS HAT" xD

I forgot to ask about the Press Hat! I'm so sorry, Red, I let you down. ^_^;; What you didn't see, by watching the archive, is when Chris Jurney (or at least someone claiming to be him) posted in the chat room segment of it. He said something like, "Why don't we just patch it in?" with regards to the paint job and Riggs items. It makes sense, too, since those were all present in the 360 version. So adding them in here, in one way or another, wouldn't go against Microsoft's rule of keeping all major content identical on both versions. If anything, without access to them on this new port, the PC version is getting shorted on content. They could also give us access to the one or two items that we technically can't get on 360 (thanks to coding glitches, and the lack of further patch support on that version.)

Sadly, even if they wanted to patch it in right now, they need to send their patch to the publishing arm of Microsoft. And then Microsoft sends it to Steam, far as we can tell. There's a slow-as-molasses middle man in play, something they unfortunately have no control over. If Double Fine were allowed direct access to patching, they could put out a patch every day if needed (since Steam imposes no limitations on patching.) Sadly, their publisher needs to thoroughly vet any patches they create (to verify that it falls under certain standards, and most of all that it doesn't insert major content that isn't available on the 360 release.)

Meh, it's a give and take. As terrible as many of their policies are, Microsoft has done 1000x more good for downloadable gaming (over time) than it has bad. Xbox LIVE was responsible for pushing indie downloadable game developers to the forefront, for one thing. It also gave a viable alternative to releasing games on disc, something that most developers/publishers can't afford nowadays. The only problem is, in that last year especially, Steam decided to take the positive strides that Xbox LIVE made and then improve them even further. Microsoft, on the other hand, has done no such thing to compete. So in that, indie developers are moving to Steam (as it offers them creative freedom, pricing and property control, the ability to be community-centric, etc.) Microsoft needs to pick up the ball, lest they lose a lot of these talented developers. Knowing them, however, they're content with the few rare million-seller titles they have under their thumb (Trials, Minecraft, etc.) They never properly promoted 99% of the XBLA titles anyway, so they're not likely to see a huge impact if most of the indie developers leave. -_-