Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheeseness

DF Game Club: The Secret of Monkey Island!

34 posts in this topic

G'day everybody

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don't like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play two or three hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don't have the game or don't feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Starting Saturday 25th August, we'll be playing through The Secret of Monkey Island a few hours a week and discussing what we do and don't like both here in this thread, and in the #DFAdventure IRC channel on Foonetic.net. The game club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Following on from Machinarium, we've worked out a schedule for our next three or four games, starting with The Secret of Monkey Island, one of the most recognised and revered adventure games of all time (and one which has a special connection to Double Fine in that Ron Gilbert and Tim Schafer both worked on it)!

Syd (one of the admins of the DFA Backer group on Steam) has volunteered to stream the game for us (link coming soon) at the regular time of 12:00pm noon PDT (click for your timezone). Syd will be streaming a special version of the game that makes use of the original graphics, music from the CD version, and voices from the Special Edition. This is made possible using a tool you can find here.

25th August: Start of game (Stream 1 and 1.5) and general discussion (log).

1st September: Second game session (Stream 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6) and discussion (log).

8th September: Third game session (Stream 3) and discussion ( log).

15th September: Easter egg hunt.

22nd September: Next game: The Journey Down!

———————————————————————————————————

ABOUT THE GAME

The_Secret_of_Monkey_Island_artwork.jpg

Synopsis:

Guybrush Threepwood arrives on Mêlée Island with hopes of becoming a true pirate in a humorous point and click adventure from LucasArts' classic era.

Where to buy online (Special Edition only):

Purchase from Steam (Windows)

Purchase from Xbox Live Arcade (Xbox)

Purchase from iTines Store (iPhone)

Please note that the original version(s) of The Secret of Monkey Island are no longer available. The original artwork and interface is available in the Special Edition by switching to "classic mode".

For anybody who already owns a copy of (one of) the original version(s), The Secret of Monkey Island can be played on a wide variety of modern systems using ScummVM (this requires the original game files from the CD, DOS floppy or Amiga versions).

———————————————————————————————————

The chat can be found here:

IRC Server: irc.foonetic.net

Channel: #DFAdventure

Or click this link to chat in your web browser!

The version I'm considering streaming is a bit of of Frankenstein copy of The Secret of Monkey Island built using the special edition, made using a tool found here. Aside from a few minor scripting tweaks and the addition of some added ambient background sounds and sound effects from the SE, it looks, sounds, and plays like the original game (I have it set to use the music from the CD version), but includes the voice acting from the special edition. I personally find this to be pretty awesome since I'm a fan of the voice talent for the main cast, but I also prefer the art and UI of the original over the SE. There's still a few known issues with it, so it's not perfect, but I love it.

I still may end up just streaming the original CD version or the SE version instead, though. I haven't quite decided yet.

And here's the game club title card thingy (or a more higher res version).

I think it would be cool if someone will be willing to draw 2HB as pirates, or maybe one head LeChuck and the other Guybrush.

I think it would be cool if someone will be willing to draw 2HB as pirates, or maybe one head LeChuck and the other Guybrush.

You know, it was my plan to do a themed version for each game we played, but I didn't have a lot of free time when we were playing Gemini Rue, and I have even less now. I'm happy to throw my source SVG out there if anybody's keen to have a play though.

I had that idea as well. I thought of simply adding an eyepatch and a hook to the 2HB, perhaps a pirate hat for the non-eyepatched head as well, but I ended up just leaving it alone.

Just wanted to give you guys a heads-up: Due to my sister and niece visiting, I might not be able to stream for the game club this Saturday. I'm still going to try to stream, but I won't know for sure if I'll be free to until Saturday.

Edit: I may end up pre-recording a session that can be watched in the event that I can't make it, but I'm fairly certain that I'll be able to make it to the event and stream live as originally planned.

Double edit: I've pre-recorded the session. Unfortunately I momentarily lost my internet connection about an hour in, but only lost about 30-45 seconds of gameplay, none of which was anything particularly important, so the session is in two parts.

Syd's stream, which covers part 1 of the game can be found here (with the last 20 minutes here due to an internet outage)

We'll be beginning soon, and I'll be streaming at http://www.twitch.tv/sydeon

Be sure to join in the IRC chat which can be found in the original post above.

Edit: Sorry that my internet went out a few times during the stream. It shouldn't be an issue next week.

I keep missing these. Did MI wrap up with the last session?

We've got one more to go. I left off at the part where I got the oars for the rowboat.

We've got another weekend (or two if we do an easter egg hunt) left in Monkey Island 1 :)

I've updated the first post with links to the chat log and video streams. Sorry for being so late with that stuff, and thanks to everybody for being patient with Syd's net troubles ^_^

This game pretty much always tops my list of all time favorite games.

Smiles

FYI, in prep for Sept 22: I see there is an indie bundle including The Journey Down: http://indiebundle.org

The SkyGoblin guys have also given me a few Desura keys to hand out (not sure how we're going to work that yet, but we'll find a way to hand them out :D )

Hey, I didn't know about that talkie version generator for Monkey Island ! Great stuff, I'll have to try it tonight, thanks !

FYI, in prep for Sept 22: I see there is an indie bundle including The Journey Down: http://indiebundle.org

Apparently it's $10 for Steam keys for Shadows on the Vatican Act 1: Greed, The Journey Down and Metal Dead. However none of those games are on Steam, so how does that work?

Hey, I didn't know about that talkie version generator for Monkey Island ! Great stuff, I'll have to try it tonight, thanks !

It's pretty cool. I decided to use that version for the stream because I thought it was a nice blend of old and new.

As for streaming this weekend, I'm not entirely sure how well it'll work out. My internet still seems just as schizophrenic as it was last time. Sometimes it's fine and stays stable for hours on end, sometimes it can barely keep a connection. It seems to be better in the evening and late at night, but unfortunately the game club is mid-afternoon for me, which is when the connection has had a tendency to be at its worst.

We'll see what happens, I suppose. I'll power-cycle my modem before the game club begins, maybe that'll help.

Apparently it's $10 for Steam keys for Shadows on the Vatican Act 1: Greed, The Journey Down and Metal Dead. However none of those games are on Steam, so how does that work?

No, you didn't read correctly: it is 5$ for those games on Desura.

The site works like this: 5$ for Desura bundles or 10$ for Steam bundles.

No, you didn't read correctly: it is 5$ for those games on Desura.

The site works like this: 5$ for Desura bundles or 10$ for Steam bundles.

Ah, I didn't read the text under the pictures. I just read the "How It Works" on the right and took it to mean that I had a choice between a $5 Desura and a $10 Steam bundle for any available bundle.

Sorry about that false alarm in the Steam group! The event doesn't start for another 3 hours.

In other news, my internet has been nice and stable today. I'm pretty optimistic that this stream will go much better than the last one.

I hate to post twice in a row, but since Cheeseness won't be making it I'm going to have to be the one to bump the thread. We'll be starting in about 5 minutes. The stream will be over here: http://www.twitch.tv/sydeon

If you have a comment about the stream or want to talk with the rest of us about Monkey Island, please go to the IRC chat that's at the bottom of the original post in this thread. I currently have no way of watching the stream's chat, so anything said over there will fall on deaf ears, but I will be in the IRC chat.

Edit: And that's that! The game has been completed, though it ended a bit sooner than I thought it would. I'll make sure that the video from it gets saved, and I'll see if I can whip something up for next week if we extend it. Perhaps a bit of an easter egg hunt?

Here's an archived video of the finale: http://www.twitch.tv/sydeon/b/331507549