Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Greg

Production Update 3: PR Update 1: PAX!

68 posts in this topic

Double Fine is going to PAX! We are very excited about this. Not only because it's one of our favorite conventions, but also because this year we'll have our very own booth! Up until a few years ago we relied on our publishers to handle all public relations and marketing and the support we received ranged from great to adequate depending on the publisher. Recently we decided to take on more of that responsibility ourselves under the assumption that no one knows or cares about our games more than we do.

Early on we deemed it important that all our coverage was free of the typical corporate spin and marketing lines. In the past we have had demos at many major gaming conventions, been covered in large magazines and newspapers, and even had commercials with national TV runs. While those are all good and we wanted to continue doing them when possible, we wanted to focus more on directly involving our fans in what's happening here at Double Fine and offering a honest and intimate look at what we're up to. PAX allows us to do just that, and is exactly why we like it so much.

df_pax2012.gif

This connection to the fans falls very much in line with what we're trying to do with the Double Fine Adventure, so very early on we decided PAX would be the first major PR beat for the game. In addition to my production responsibilities I am also Double Fine's PR/Marketing representative, and as such I thought I would take a moment to talk about what exactly we'll be doing at the show that is Double Fine Adventure related as well as what is involved with managing Double Fine's presence at a convention like this.

The first step in this whole process was budgeting and determining how we would cover costs for everything involved with being at the show. Turns out, there's quite a lot of things to account for. The major items being booth space, booth design and setup, drayage (we'll cover this later), new merch, shipping, flights, and hotels. The idea from the start was that we would attempt to sell enough merch at the show that we could pay for all of these items and essentially break even.

Since we haven't done this before it was difficult to determine how much merch we thought we'd be able to sell and thus how much we could spend on the booth itself. Because of this, we're essentially treating this year as a bit of a trial run. We're being pretty conservative with the amount of money we spend on our booth, in hopes of proving we can spend more to get a larger booth on the next go round! So we went with a 10' x 20' booth which should give us just enough space for 2 demo kiosks and a merch table.

Once this was settled we decided to contact some professionals whose job it is to design and build booths for trade shows, and ended up going with PromoGuys. These dudes handle large clients like Marvel and it was determined that they would be invaluable to the process since we have little experience with this kind of thing. They came up with a rad booth design that not only fits our exact needs for the show, but also falls within our budget. Check it!

booth01.jpg

Okay, so we have a booth! But what shall we do there? Well, the main draw will be the chance for fans to get hands on time with The Cave and the Happy Action Theater sequel for the first time. This will be first time much of the press is allowed to play these games as well, so a lot of time went into setting up a demo and interview schedule for many of the major outlets. In addition, we're really trying to make sure that there's always something going on at the booth, whether that's signing hours, blind box toy trading hours, flash sales on merchandise, new activity announcements for the Happy Action Theater sequel, or the much anticipated Dub Step hour.

As for merch, we did large reorders of our most popular shirts and posters, around 300 of each. In addition we wanted to make a bunch of fancy new stuff! So we made a PAX-exclusive 2HB as Gabe and Tycho t-shirt, new fancy high end art prints, and some really rad new Cave blind box toys.

thecave_figurines.jpg

Some of these things (like the Cave toys) have really long lead times as they need to be manufactured overseas and shipped over. In the case of the Cave toys, work began on them around 4 months ago with this show in mind. When the items were all done and ready to be shipped to the show we combined them onto as few shipping pallets as possible and sent them up to the show. Once they get there they are handed off to another party who moves them from the loading dock to the booth itself. This is called drayage surprisingly and costs a rather large amount of money.

Okay so this now we're ready to rock and roll, but what does this mean to you, the Double Fine Adventure backer? Well firstly, it means we're having a Double Fine Adventure Panel (http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/the-double-fine-adventure-adventure) Friday at 1:00 in the Kraken Theater. This will be the first time non-backers will get a glimpse into what's been happening with the project since the Kickstarter was funded. The plan is to start by showing what is essentially a highlight reel of everything 2 Player Productions has done so far. The first cut of this runs around 25 minutes and has around 5 minutes from episodes 1-4 as well as a few scenes from episode 5. So there's still reason for you lovely backers to come even if you've already seen all the previous episodes! After this Tim, 2PP's Paul Levering, and I will be present for a Q & A. Hopefully we'll see some of you there! And if you can't make it, I'm told this will be streamed live on the internets for your viewing pleasure.

While it's too early to show anything from Reds at our booth, there will be some DFA related fun at the booth. Namely, we'll be selling Bagel's amazing lumberjack art prints. If you can't make it to the show, don't worry these will be made available on our website, though it will be a rather limited supply!

cabin2.jpg

Not only that, but we'll be showing some DFA-related fun in the Happy Action Theater sequel on Sunday at 1:00. Come by the booth if you can to check it out!

And last but not least, we'll be ending the weekend with a fan meet-up at the Hard Rock cafe on Sunday from 5:00-9:00. The Happy Action Theater sequel will be there for you to play, and a good time will undoubtedly be had by all. It's going to be a busy weekend and I can't think of a better way to end it than getting to celebrate with all of you guys. Hopefully we'll see you there sporting your lovely backer shirts!

I wish I could go, I would love to get my hands on one of those Cave toys

This will be streamed?!?! AWESOME!

Can we get a countdown timer for those in different timezones (Makes it easier for us to know when it starts) and a link to the stream page? :o

For some reason that female in the blue coat, number 2 from the right. reminds me of the mother of the cartoon cramp twins haha

Wish I could go. Too bad Washington and Florida are kinda...opposites. :(

auughhhh I really wish I could go D: oh the woes of being 3 hours away and not even thinking of getting tickets

oh well, hope everyone that's going has a fun time! There better be some highlights videos showing up afterwards!

also that print looks amaziiiiing~

Can we get a countdown timer for those in different timezones (Makes it easier for us to know when it starts) and a link to the stream page? :o

Oh yes, please, let us know about the details.

Also, anyone knows if the streaming will be recorded and available later or is it totally illegal?

Have fun guys. I'm hoping for a report once you all come back home :)

Unfortunately can't make it to PAX or to the party, but sincerely wish I could be there to bring the love! Have a good time, DF! Not that there's any doubt!

im nowhere near PAX. so imagine a virtual hi and a virtual person sitting in the crowd cheering up for you guys!

how big do you plan the lumberjack print to be? it almost seems like its going to be 10 feet wide. i might go for it, but in that case i would also order some psychonauts buttons (milkman) and look for a SIGNED version of PC psychonauts :), which isnt there currently :x.

ditto!

Awesome, sounds good! Dub Step hour sounds like a grand idea. So long as you keep it old school from South London. BIGUP!

Awesome, sounds good! Dub Step hour sounds like a grand idea. So long as you keep it old school from South London. BIGUP!

I think we tried that when Greg was streaming the last minutes of Garbiel Knight for the DFA Game Club ;D

I'm so disappointed that I can't be there. I was actually supposed to be there working the Twisted Pixel booth, but things didn't work logistically, and I had to cancel. Good luck, Double Fine peoples.

I went into this thread thinking PAX was the name of a DFA character's magical buddy and that there would be a promo video of him. [/dumb]

That's really interesting and informative thank you Greg, and now I really want that Bagel print...

Random thought: I think it would be awesome to see a smaller studio use Plasma money pooled together to cut back on costs to get into a convention.

That Sunday meetup sounds boss.

Damn my moving and selling my PAX ticket a month before this.

Awesome. I wish I could've gone to PAX, but I'm happy to say my wife and I shall be at the meet-up, and of course I'll be wearing my backer shirt (and Double Fine underwear).

From all the tweets it sounds like DF is drawing in good crowds at PAX! So wish I were there partying it up- especially the Hard Rock meetup! All of us backers who aren't there in person are there in spirit!

DF FTW!!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0