Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim Schafer

Art Update 7: Searching for Sacrifice Girl

472 posts in this topic

Hello Backers of Adventure!

Here are some early sketches from Scott of Sacrifice Girl! (She will have a real name later, I promise.) Well, I take that back. They’re not really pictures of her, but explorations of many different girls, all in the hopes of finding her.

Sacrifice Girl (or SG) is one of our game’s two leading characters. She is a small-town girl chosen for a great honor by her village: To be eaten alive by a horrific monster! Congratulations! Well, what did you expect with a name like Sacrifice Girl? You can’t say we didn’t warn you!

I haven’t written any dialog for her yet, and that’s when a lot of the more nuanced bits of personality will emerge for her. But right now, in my head, she is an independent, spirited, brave young girl in the vein of Miyazaki heroes like Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, or Kiki’s delivery service. A little older than Kiki. Maybe fourteen or fifteen years old.

So like I said, these are early, explorative drawings. Remember: there are no bad ideas in brainstorming. (Remember that if I told you that before. If I never told you that before, please just learn it for the first time.) This is just an explosion of ideas by the great artist Scott Campbell, to see if anything tickles our fancy. Or to see if anything sharpens our axe, for you lumberjacks out there.

I definitely have my favorites in these drawings, but first, I’d love to hear what you think! Please comment and let me know what aspects you like of which drawings!

art7_searchingforsg_01.jpg

art7_searchingforsg_02.jpg

art7_searchingforsg_03.jpg

UPDATE!! (9/10/12)

Lets see some more art!!!

(Ignore Spaceship Boy for now, please!)

art8_sacrificegirl2_sg1.jpg

art8_sacrificegirl2_sg2.jpg

P.S. The idea with the big headdress and gown is that for the ceremony she's done up like a princess cake, but then... stuff happens.

art8_sacrificegirl2_gown.jpg

ANOTHER UPDATE!! (9/25/12)

Thanks for all the feedback, feedbackers!

Here are some color treatments of some of our favorites, plus a couple of new ideas thrown in for good measure:

art9_SG01_color.jpg

art9_SG02_color.jpg

art9_SG03_color.jpg

art9_SG04_color.jpg

art9_SG05_color.jpg

VIDEO UPDATE!! (10/5/12)

Lili gives me some art direction while eating a grilled cheese sandwich AT THE SAME TIME.

She is amazing.

StSJskzSAto

UPDATE!!! (10/18/12)

Okay, just kidding about making Lili pick, although she does have unusually refined taste and good style.

The more we looked at circle-n the more we liked her.

SG-hillside-small.jpg

Especially when Scott drew her standing next to Spaceship Boy.

SB_SG_meeting-small.jpg

PS This is not Spaceship Boy's real design. This actually looks more like Oliver to me.

N and O are great!

Edit: Just noticed there are two N. Cool head N is better. :>

O is my favourite, but Circled-N and P are pretty good looking as well; all in the lower side, so I guess I'm just a sucker for better details D=

I personally feel like Cool Head-N is the one that fits the starting description the best.

N does indeed have a cool head. This is important. L's dress and body is really nice, while I'm not too keen on the big hair/hat/headdress thing in the first few sets.

Either way, if the blobby creature in M isn't in the final game, there will be riots.

I don't really like N as much because I like the diamond heads the best. so Probably N is my favorite. I love this so far

EDIT: haha Oh WOW I messed up this post i meant to say O is my favorite

What if you made her bald - like, her head is shaved as part of the sacrifice ritual?

Nice she looks really unique. Definitely cool to get an idea of where the game is headed sort of.

Yeah, I'm liking the idea of something between M and O. I don't mean N, just a sort of cross between them if at all possible.

D and J are definitely my favorite. They give a more mature vibe, giving the idea that she is like a 16 year old girl, which would fit the idea of a confusing part of her life.

They really fit the "idea" of the character, if you see what I'm saying.

I'm really digging the design and pose in P. The Nausicaä influence really shows in a lot of these (in a good way!) especially in M.

It would be neat if you start the game off with her wearing a full traditional outfit, and then when she rebels/escapes, she rips off or modifies part of the outfit to match her spunky character.

Can't wait to see more! :D

Yay, art update! :D

I like the head from O, but I think L is my favorite overall design. And the blobby thing from M.

There are two N's!

I really like the ponytail, though I'm not sure it gives off an "independent" look...

Also, I'm digging the dresses with the...tails? The ones that are long in the back!

C and O are very nice.

Nausicaä is a princess, and Kiki is a witch from a small town.

What is SG's background? Is she just "another girl"?

For me, "C" represents the age just fine. There's still traces of childhood in small town 14-15 years old girls.

"O" is an unpretentious "who me?" kind of girl.

I like more your idea of using Kiki, rather than Nausicaä. Unlike heroines like Nausicaä and Mononoke, Kiki gains confidence in herself as the plot progress. She starts very timidly, insecure, and ends up as a determined witch by the end of the movie. She grows. :)

Nice!

Everyone is saying O and I'll admit, O is pretty awesome.

I also like G. She seems like an awesome character already!

I think my favorites are O and P.

Also, A also has a nice action pose. I like action poses.

Ah! Fun, another Quest for us!

I really love the basic idea behind the concept, but I don’t get why she should be an “independent, spirited,brave young girl. Unleast not in the beginning. If your destiny is to get eaten by a monster I would be kind of bummed or sad. Yes, she could turn into a confident young woman, but just after she discovers that they might be other preferable options than to be monster’s lunch.

So I would pick S or N for the start.

I love D the best. D looks like she's grateful for all the trouble everyone is going to, but they do know there's no way I'm going to let a monster eat her, right? I mean, let's be serious now--she's sure there's a better way. No, she hasn't thought of it yet, but "getting eaten by a horrible monster" is definitely Plan B (or maybe C) for her. She'll think of something.

My favorites are very much P and O. I like the pose and the character design on P, and the outfit on O.

Wow, awesome designs! I like the clothes on D, but not the hat so much. The hair style of O is really cool and love how the end tail looks. I also like P's idea of bleached hair paired with dark skin, exotic! Digging the diamond face look too! I can't really point to a specific letter I like more than another because I like various aspects of nearly all of them. Well, I guess I'm sort of leaning towards P...

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0