Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Levering_2pp

Sidequest: "I Got My Dream Job"

104 posts in this topic

Greetings backers!

Today we bring to you another thrilling Sidequest video in which you get to know more about a specific member of the Reds team.

The subject this time is Anna Kipnis, senior gameplay programmer. Anna joined Double Fine during the production of Psychonauts and has since contributed to nearly every title the studio released. Along with stories about the start and growth of Double Fine, she'll share her own personal journey of how her family left the USSR as refugees and brought her to the US at a young age. Extensive episode notes follow below the video!

[vimeo]48988034[/vimeo]

00:45- Felix Edmundovich Dzerzhinsky

00:49- Top 10 Most Polluted Places

01:07- (Партия - ум, честь и совесть нашей эпохи.) The Party - The mind, honor, and conscience of our epoch.

01:12- Anna’s School, No 41, featured a monument with a World War II era tank turret mounted on a pedestal.

01:18- Kiev, Khreshatyk plaza. The statue is the Monument to Independence (Монумент Незалежності)

01:21- Parents - Lydia and Sam Kipnis in 1976

02:40- Pez

02:44- Bananas

03:02- Fall of the Berlin Wall

03:16- That’s Contra on the tv.

03:32- Super Mario Bros.

04:44- Russian Arcades

04:46- Pong

04:55- Paperboy

05:05- Super Nintendo Entertainment System

05:32- Anna- I used to pause Little Mermaid so much that it burned through the VHS tape :(

05:42- Anna- I learned a whole bunch, but I seem to only ever use C++, Python, and Lua.

05:59- Rutgers University

07:00- Not exactly the 3 original founders, but close enough.

07:09- Everyone pictured here came on for Psychonauts and has since stayed with the company. Bagel is currently working on the Double Fine Adventure, Kee is leading Middle Manager of Justice, and Paul is working on the WiiU port of the Cave.

07:42- Grim Fandango

08:18- Sadly i couldn't find a better quality vid of Brazil. Need to pick up that Blu-Ray.

09:14- Tim’s favorite joke from Grim Fandango.

09:24- Film noir

10:35- Schizophrenia

11:39- This is the original design document for Boyd’s speech patterns.

14:45- Erik Wolpaw

14:51- Elton Fir gets blown up.

15:21- Waterloo Video Anna- originally, we didn’t want to introduce any new characters to answer the door, especially as they were already represented in the game (as game pieces). Yet it would be a shame to lose the interaction Raz could have with the villagers, so I pitched the idea of having the door move whenever the villager talked, to sell that he was actually talking to someone. It was pretty light on assets and could be used for all the villager interactions, so it got approved.

16:00- This was one of the Double-Team attacks that Anna specifically worked on.

16:43- Costume Quest

17:00- I had to play Once Upon a Monster with Anna in the middle of the Double Fine office for about an hour to capture this footage.

17:27- The Singing Purple flowers Anna- This clip is probably the best voice acting I’ve ever done and thank you Paul for suffering through a children’s game to see it, though you will admit it was worth it to see this acting tour de force.

17:42- Stacking

17:55- Amnesia Fortnight

18:16- Old Tim Blogs

18:22- Rat and Mouse enlarged to show texture.

Cool I'm the first responder. I will watch this later today.

Thank you for posting!

Hey Anna! It was great chatting with you at PAX. :)

And another great Sidequest! I had no idea that Boyd was based on a real person. I remembering spending at least 10 minutes trying to hear all of his dialogue snippets.

And another great Sidequest! I had no idea that Boyd was based on a real person.

Yeah! His name is Dougie. We named a couple of tools after him. Our Lua debugger on Psychonauts was called Dougie, and our Brütal Legend engine uses the more sophisticated dev tool, Douglas.

I still see him around the neighborhood on occasion. I think he's doing better.

Awesome! Just gotta love these videos and in depth looks :D

My computer lacks sound at the moment, but I will be watching this asap!

I actually just got Psychonauts from one of the recent Humble Bundles and the milkman level was one of my favorites. I definitely sat there for awhile listening to all the crazy stuff he said.

I actually just got Psychonauts from one of the recent Humble Bundles and the milkman level was one of my favorites. I definitely sat there for awhile listening to all the crazy stuff he said.

That's awesome to hear :D!!

I'm also particularly impressed at how well the game has held up. I have a pretty new computer and I just cranked up the resolution and it still looks really good. I just finished the Painter's level in the mental ward right before watching your video.

I'm also particularly impressed at how well the game has held up. I have a pretty new computer and I just cranked up the resolution and it still looks really good. I just finished the Painter's level in the mental ward right before watching your video.

Yeah, we've been really fortunate there. Some games from that era spoil as fast as milk. Major props to our artists (including Reds' very own Bagel, Scott C, and Peter Chan!), animators (Rayyyy!!) and graphics programmers for that.

And another great Sidequest! I had no idea that Boyd was based on a real person.

Yeah! His name is Dougie. We named a couple of tools after him. Our Lua debugger on Psychonauts was called Dougie, and our Brütal Legend engine uses the more sophisticated dev tool, Douglas.

I still see him around the neighborhood on occasion. I think he's doing better.

Well, apparently he wasn't as crazy as he made himself seem, people were recording his conversations.

Great sidequest! I love those more personal interviews nearly as much as I love the full episodes.

I didn't know Anna lived in Austria before the family emigrated to the US, funny hearing about the technological marvels of 1980ies Austria ;) (I live and was born in Austria in 1980, and the first time I went to eastern Europe in I think 1990 to the Czech Republic with my parents it was so different there, I can only assume the other way round it was even a bigger culture shock for a child...)

Great sidequest, as ever.

What on earth is that drawer recessed into the table containing?

Sudden urge to drink the milkman's milk, rising.

Cool to finally get to see and learn about Anna and all her voice acting glory.

Loved the sidequest. When i first played grim fandango i was like 13 and i hardly even understood the dialogs but kept on playing :).

It's somehow gratifying to find that my favorite joke from Grim Fandango is also Tim's.

(My #2 - "It says, 'I'M AT THE JUNKYARD. WOOWOOWOOWOOWOO.'")

I have a lot of fond memories playing Psychonauts on my old Xbox. All this talk about such a great game (the milkman level was my favourite by the way), I think it's about time that I try the PC version I got with one of those Humble Bundles a while back.

Thank you Anna for sharing your beautiful story, every time a new DFA update pops up in my mailbox I cant help but feel privileged to be part of this amazing adventure, and I bet my pants that the game will be incredible too!

Thank you!

Thanks for the Sidequest! It was a pleasure to know Anna a little better.

I especially liked what was said around 21:00. I hope we, the backers, are the best proof that we trust you are doing amazing games and we want more :)

By the way - does it mean the next episode will be later or are you trying to spoil us? :D

(...) (I live and was born in Austria in 1980, and the first time I went to eastern Europe in I think 1990 to the Czech Republic with my parents it was so different there, I can only assume the other way round it was even a bigger culture shock for a child...)

How do you go from West to East by travelling North? :|

What a nice interview, and indeed.. The Milkman level is my favourite too. It's also very interesting that trough this project we get a little insight in the origins of the company. Great stuff once again.

Awesome video, as always :) I don't know why, but these game-dev videos always make me want to go learn how I can add some Lua to my own apps. I should make it a challenge for this weekend to get Lua embedded in one of my apps. Actually, I think I do know why - these videos really make me feel like I want to produce a a little indie game of my own, but that seems too ridiculous when I say it out loud, so I need to think of it in baby steps :)

Alright, I need someone to explain the Robert Frost/pigeons joke to me...

Very interesting - best sidequest so far. Anna was great on camera and excellent at telling stories in an captivating manner. Even though it lasted 22 minutes the time just flew by!

What I'd /really/ like to see as a sidequest if you guys get the time is stories from various old school Double Fine team members about the beginning of the studio and interesting tales like the ones Anna shared. It'd be very interesting to know more about the original office (if there is anything more to know!) The mid-years aren't all that interesting to me where the studio is already established, but the early years is very interesting. Especially hearing from Tim /why/ he even created the studio, how he did etc.

Very interesting - best sidequest so far. Anna was great on camera and excellent at telling stories in an captivating manner. Even though it lasted 22 minutes the time just flew by!

What I'd /really/ like to see as a sidequest if you guys get the time is stories from various old school Double Fine team members about the beginning of the studio and interesting tales like the ones Anna shared. It'd be very interesting to know more about the original office (if there is anything more to know!) The mid-years aren't all that interesting to me where the studio is already established, but the early years is very interesting. Especially hearing from Tim /why/ he even created the studio, how he did etc.

Would take a lot more work, but it is something we would like to do. Maybe once the Minecraft movie is out and we have more resources.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0