Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Levering_2pp

Sidequest: "Put Your Lips on That."

131 posts in this topic

Greetings backers!

For this Sidequest installment we're taking a trip with Tim through the ScummVm time machine to revisit his 1995 hit "Full Throttle". It's a solid hour of classic gaming insight (punctuated with the occasional fuzzy memory), so sit back and enjoy the ride through the barren expanse with Tim and Ben. Episode notes after the video!

[vimeo]50823856[/vimeo]

00:03- This is Tim’s Scat rendition of the main theme to Full Throttle, The Gone Jackals song “

”.

00:50- Roy Conrad

01:08-

01:10-

01:28-

01:50- Mike Judge

03:00- Sound Garden

03:14- Biker Mice From Mars

07:00- Hunter S. Thompson's "Hell's Angels"

07:28- Sons of Anarchy

09:15- Full Throttle’s budget in 1995 was 1.5 million. Today, that same budget would be more like 2.2 million.

11:47- The Dig

12:00- Greg's Adventure Game Club with Full Throttle

15:22- Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time

17:03- A scene from "Fistful of Dollars", starring Clint Eastwood.

19:45- The Lido Deck

20:24- Queequeg, and here's his Quohog mark.

21:50- Star Wars: Rebel Assault

24:24- Tim should know by now saying that results in the exact opposite.

32:30- “

” by Chitlins, Whiskey & Skirt

35:19- We had a few problems here and had to edit the sequence down significantly. Take this short moment to remember Monty Python.

36:38- The Horse Riding Puzzle (in flash)

38:46- Mark Hamill

39:04-

40:06- The OJ Trial

45:50-

46:00-

(Another World as it’s known in Europe)

46:10- The 69 Pontiac LeMans

52:48- "

" The Animated Movie

52:52- Cary Grant

Dang it! I never finished Full Throttle, I couldn't get past the dog. Now I can't watch the side quest for fear of spoilers. Its eBay time.

I just realized that when Ben says, "Some joker took my keys." he's referring to Mark Hamil who voices the Joker in the animated series and Arkham games. :D

I havent even seen this video yet but I know it will be one of my favourites. One of my first ever "own" computer games was Full Throttle, and I still own the complete box including the registration card etc.. I still play it through every few years or so, even tho I remember all the puzzles like they were part of me.. But there's just something about it that draws me back. I have it installed on scummvm on my android tablet even just to show what you can do with an android tablet to my friends. :)

So.. Looking forward to seeing this episode tomorrow after I've sobered up a wee bit. :D

Meh. Never too drunk to enjoy these documentaries. Staying up until 5 am if need be! :P

Oh my goodness! Such a long video! :D Cool, this is gonna be very interesting. Always fun to hear Tim talk about such things.

Fun times had by all...

Loved that game. And the "action" scenes were in good measure.

The behind the scenes stories are very entertaining and it's lovely to see the person behind the game playing it.

Oh and thanks for not cutting out the parts he had difficulties (or at least the ones you didn't cut out, he he). I love it because he got stuck in the same places I did. I remember cursing the game and its creator for the color of that hose, oops, sorry Tim.

As for the fight scenes, I wonder if for the next part he's going to use the skip button. The game does tend to be longer when trying to beat the action sequences, but it feels a little repetitive and not adventure-like at some point (I'm just saying this as an excuse for the fact that I skipped those parts eventually).

Finally some bittersweet revenge for those of us who felt frustrated with the arcade segments in adventure games. Tim gets stuck on one in his own game lol.

What stood out to me in this is how Tim recounted how he had to pitch 5 possible games. Eliminating the two sequels to Lucasarts properties in which they don't have the right to and Full Throttle which made it out of the pitch, that leaves us with a spy game adventure floating around in the back of Tim's head.

I'll add that to my wish list:

Double Fine Adventure 2: Hipster Lumberjack game

Double Fine Adventure 3: Spy Game

Tim, do you watch Sons of Anarchy? Saw you mentioned it! SoA is a fantastic, brilliant show, but every bit as nasty and dark as you alluded. Still, it's a well written, character driven show that rewards the investment of watching from the beginning of the series.

Highly recommended for all!

I laughed heartily at Tim's many and spectacular failed attempts at knocking that guy off the bike. :)

Good value, as always. Do enjoy hearing tidbits like the Mike Judge/MTV story that I've never heard/read before.

Awesome video! I could listen to Tim all day and never get bored.

Being able to stack the cars in the junkyard puzzle was totally a red herring for me when I first tried to solve that puzzle. I was overthinking it, and didn't realize that I just had to leave the car with the dog in it hanging in the air. I kept trying to stack other cars on it or put it on top of a stack. Hell, it took me ages to even figure out that I could walk to the right and get to that crane in the first place.

What stood out to me in this is how Tim recounted how he had to pitch 5 possible games. Eliminating the two sequels to Lucasarts properties in which they don't have the right to and Full Throttle which made it out of the pitch, that leaves us with a spy game adventure floating around in the back of Tim's head.

IIRC, that spy game concept eventually evolved into Psychonauts.

The idea for Grim is only obviously awesome in retrospect, I think. I can understand why someone might have a hard time appreciating the concept.

Never noticed Melonweed was sinking into the mud. That's awesome.

I'm glad Tim did not blow up in his LeMans. Cool way to go, sure, but I'm glad there was still more Tim to come.

If you watch that
video the monster scene I was talking about is at

I love that game, but where is the music in that clip??? I definitely see the influence in the junkyard sequence with the dog. Also sad to say, but I've never played Full Throttle. I must correct this soon, everything I've seen looks awesome.

If you watch that

I love that game (it's known as Another World in Australia as well) so much. That was the first game I played that made me realise that games could be used to tell and present stories in an artistic fashion. What Eric Chahi was able to achieve with no spoken dialogue blew my mind.

Also, are those the tentacles that udoncat gave you in Melbourne on your bookshelf?

Being able to stack the cars in the junkyard puzzle was totally a red herring for me when I first tried to solve that puzzle. I was overthinking it, and didn't realize that I just had to leave the car with the dog in it hanging in the air. I kept trying to stack other cars on it or put it on top of a stack. Hell, it took me ages to even figure out that I could walk to the right and get to that crane in the first place.

If that's the case, it really strayed from what a spy is. I was picturing more of a quirky take on James Bond featuring a Bernard type of secret agent

Message from the CIA?

dottss1.gif

Thanks for the episode.

Tim, I know as a creator, you look at the game and you see a lot of the technical difficulties, but from a player-perspective, Full Throttle is definitely one of the best and most unique games ever created. I enjoyed it immensely.

If that's the case, it really strayed from what a spy is. I was picturing more of a quirky take on James Bond featuring a Bernard type of secret agent

Message from the CIA?

dottss1.gif

Just play NOLF or Spy Fox then?

Message from the CIA?

dottss1.gif

From what I recall, Psychonauts was inspired by two things: the cut peyote sequence from Full Throttle, and someone's interesting misinterpretation of an idea for a mechanic in Tim's spy game pitch.

If you watch that

I love that game, but where is the music in that clip??? I definitely see the influence in the junkyard sequence with the dog. Also sad to say, but I've never played Full Throttle. I must correct this soon, everything I've seen looks awesome.

From what I remember (though I've only played the game in an emulator that may or may not have been buggy), there was very little music in Out of this World. Other than the intro and outro, the only music I recall is the scene at

Edit: Though judging by

, some versions did add music.

nice monty python intermission!

btw, are you really shooting at the most direct angle at the monitor possible, without having tim in the picture? the screen is still not completely in focus. but if nothing more can be done about it i understand.

however, a fun episode as per usual.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0