Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheeseness

DF Game Club: Sam & Max Hit The Road

32 posts in this topic

G'day everybody

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don't like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don't have the game or don't feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Starting Saturday 27th October, we'll be playing through Sam & Max Hit The Road a few hours a week and discussing what we do and don't like both here in this thread, and in the #DFAdventure IRC channel on Foonetic.net (if you're not sure, just click this link to access webchat from our stream page). The game club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Syd will be streaming the game at the later time of Saturday 2:00pm PDT (click for your timezone). If anybody is interested in assisting with streaming, please let us know!

Previous game: Beneath A Steel Sky

27th October, 2:00pm PDT (click for your timezone): Start of game (Stream 1) and general discussion (log)

3rd November, 2:00pm PDT (click for your timezone): Second game session (Stream 2) and general discussion (log)

10th November, 2:00pm PDT (click for your timezone): Third game session (Stream 3, Stream 4) and general discussion (log)

Next game: Botanicula (starting 17th November)

———————————————————————————————————

ABOUT THE GAME

Sam_&_Max_Hit_the_Road_artwork.jpg

Synopsis:

The Freelance Police investigate the disappearance of a frozen bigfoot named Bruno and a giraffe-necked-girl named Trixie in a zany adventure across the USA in bizarre and lovable Sam & Max style.

For anybody not aware, 2012 marks the 25th year since Sam & Max first appeared in a published work (a little longer since their inception, but that's another story).

Where to get (Sam & Max is currently whatever the game equivalent of out-of-print, and unused copies are pretty hard to come by):

Amazon

ScummVM (demo)

Note that users of Linux, MacOS and other platforms can run the game using ScummVM.

———————————————————————————————————

The chat can be found here:

IRC Server: irc.foonetic.net

Channel: #DFAdventure

Or click this link to chat in your web browser!

I've still got the floppy disks for mine :D

...but I have no floppy disk drive...

*Frantically checks external hard drive for backup*

Unfortunately I won't be able to attend this weekend, I will attend a friends birthday party instead. :)

Hey there .. I guess I won't be able to attend the DFGC today (Saturday) either.

Been a bit busy lately, last weekend was hiking in northern Finland, otherwise been quite busy at work so haven't been that active in the channel. This time it seems to have been moved from 22:00 my time to midnight. That's way too late for me, and I can't join in on that.

That's way too late for me, and I can't join in on that.

With so few people interested in streaming, we're at the mercy of times that are work for those that are :(

Good to hear you're still around though :D

That's way too late for me, and I can't join in on that.

With so few people interested in streaming, we're at the mercy of times that are work for those that are :(

Good to hear you're still around though :D

Which is why we could really use more streamers.

Especially streamers with stable internet (unlike me).

Hint hint, nudge nudge. C'mon, streamers, we know you're out there somewhere!

First post has been updated with a link to the stream and a chat log.

Apologies for not posting in the thread when the stream went live - I had a message all written out, but forgot to click submit >_<

I would like to stream. I've downloaded Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder but I don't know how it works... If you have some instructions I would gladly accept them. :)

I would like to stream. I've downloaded Adobe Flash Media Live Encoder but I don't know how it works... If you have some instructions I would gladly accept them. :)

Here's a pretty decent guide on streaming with AFMLE:

Keep in mind that you'll need another program for screen capture. This video recommends AmaRekTV, but SCFH DSF is another popular choice (guides on that particular program are pretty easy to find through Google).

It can take some trial and error getting AFMLE set up, but it works great.

We'll be starting in a few minutes, though I may have to cut the stream off a bit earlier than usual.

(Double post, whee!)

Sorry I had to cut the stream off early. Today's a bit busier for me than Saturdays usually are. If you got in late or missed today's stream, you can catch up with the archived version. We'll be finishing up next week, so be sure to join us!

Fireflower, have you had any success with getting a streaming workflow happening? If you're still keen, do you think you'd be up for streaming our next adventure game? I'm going to be moving house, and Syd needs a break after Sam & Max.

Haven't had the time to look at it yet. I'll try and do it tonight and see if I understand how it works. :)

If I understand how it works I could stream the next game. Have you decided which one yet?

Haven't had the time to look at it yet. I'll try and do it tonight and see if I understand how it works. :)

If I understand how it works I could stream the next game. Have you decided which one yet?

Awesome :)

We were hoping to do The Last Express at some stage, but if there's an adventure game you're particularly keen on that we haven't played yet, then whatever suits you is fine with me (anybody else got anything to add?)

I actually only own one adventure game (Resonance). But I'm up for anything as long as it's good and not too expensive. :)

We should have a list of games to pick from, I know you talked about one earlier.

Gonna try some streaming tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes.

I actually only own one adventure game (Resonance). But I'm up for anything as long as it's good and not too expensive. :)

We should have a list of games to pick from, I know you talked about one earlier.

Gonna try some streaming tonight or tomorrow and see how it goes.

Yeah, there are a couple of threads (most recent one, older one.

Resonance would be cool if you're up for that.

Ah, those threads are only for backers, so I can't get in. :(

I'm not done with Resonance actually. Not sure I liked it that much either. But if you want we could play it.

Ah, those threads are only for backers, so I can't get in. :(

I'm not done with Resonance actually. Not sure I liked it that much either. But if you want we could play it.

You can still become a late backer for $15 before they bump up the price if you're keen (if not, then no worries)^_^

Botanicula also ranked fairly highly if you're interested in that.

I would love to back DF but I'm about to start a company so I'm trying to hold on to my money at the moment. :)

Sure, we could play Botanicula. Could also play Deponia, A New Beginning or Gemini Rue. I haven't played any of them yet though...

I would love to back DF but I'm about to start a company so I'm trying to hold on to my money at the moment. :)

Sure, we could play Botanicula. Could also play Deponia, A New Beginning or Gemini Rue. I haven't played any of them yet though...

We played Gemini Rue a few months back, but we haven't yet done any of the others, so whichever of those you prefer is fine with us :)

I find it easier to stream stuff I've already played - it can be a bit awkward to get stuck and not know what you're doing whilst playing for others to watch.

Botanicula might be a good pick, since you haven't played any of them. It's pretty straight forward and not a very long game. It wouldn't take too long to zip through it once so you'd know what you're doing when it's time to stream.

Up to you in the end, though. Stream whatever you'd feel most comfortable streaming.