Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Chris Remo

Episode 6: That Bagel Filter Thing

246 posts in this topic

Hello, backers! It's time for an update!

In last month's update, you saw some of the creative and production challenges arising from the game's heavy reliance on the unique artwork of Nathan "Bagel" Stapley.

This month, the team finally reaches its full size, and steps are made to address those issues with the help of new staff: longtime Double Fine artist Levi Ryken and two new art interns.

Plus: full-scale puzzle design begins in earnest. All this and more in Episode 6, dear backers...

[vimeo]52212032[/vimeo]

AMNESIA FORTNIGHT

You may have heard of Amnesia Fortnight--it's a (roughly) yearly event here at Double Fine in which we take two weeks off from our normal projects to pitch and develop brand-new prototypes. Sometimes these turn into full-fledged Double Fine games, like Costume Quest, Stacking, Iron Brigade, Once Upon a Monster, and Middle Manager of Justice.

The next one is happening soon! Keep an eye out for more Amnesia Fortnight details on our website and Twitter feed.

We're giving backers a heads up because it's likely to affect the 2 Player Productions documentary schedule towards the end of the year. Episode 7 is planned to come out next month as normal, but after that there will be a bit of a delay before Episode 8, as the studio briefly diverts away from Reds.

REWARDS UPDATE

At this point all of the $100 tier rewards should have arrived. If you backed at exactly the $100 level (including $110 for international) and you still don't have your goods, please contact Fangamer at orders@fangamer.com

If you backed at the $250 level or above, thanks for your patience! All of the limited-edition posters have been signed by the team and are on their way. If you are a $250+ backer and you have an address change, send it to us through Kickstarter and also to Fangamer at orders@fangamer.com

SLACKER BACKERS

If you have friends who want to get in on the game updates and documentary, point them over to our Slacker Backer form. Everyone should have a chance at adventure!

EPISODE NOTES

3:34 - Levi was brought on as an intern for Brutal Legend in 2005 and became a Double Fine employee four months later.

3:44 - The Studio Ghibli Museum in Mitaka, Japan. http://www.ghibli-museum.jp/en/

4:38 - That’s a “chibi” (small) style figure of a mech from the anime “Neon Genesis Evangelion”

5:45 - Peter Chan sent postcards to the artists on the project, encouraging them to do their own thing and not feel like they need to replicate his style.

6:14 - You’ll be seeing more of Emily in the next episode. Currently she’s painting in-game props and supporting characters for Reds.

6:40 - Marius’ application game can be found here: http://rickrocket.de/df/

8:12 - Tim’s idea for the opening of the game was one of the core images he imagined from the start of the project.

11:25 - One of Marius’ first storyboards for the project. He makes them in flash by utilizing his own interpretations of the Reds art alongside pre-existing concept pieces.

13:55 - Presidents who have been assassinated: Abraham Lincoln, James A. Garfield, William McKinley, and John F. Kennedy. Tim’s involvement remains a mystery.

14:05 - British forces occupied Washington D.C. during the War of 1812 and burned the White House down. British wish fulfillment?

15:00 - Tim’s playthrough of Full Throttle was released as a sidequest earlier this month. You can watch the hour long video here: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7736/

16:55 - “Suicide Girls” - a website featuring beautiful naked girls with tattoos. At least that’s what someone told us.

17:59 - Scott C’s latest book is “The Great Showdowns.” Get it here: http://www.pyramidcar.com/the-great-showdowns-book/

19:13 - Anna was on vacation during this week so Bagel took over her desk space.

20:30 - Lately we’ve been running an audio feed from our boom pole to the PC, making the audio issues during standups a bit more tolerable.

20:43 - Ray Crook is an avid Bagel fan and has five paintings by the artist in his home.

25:50 - Early alternate title for the episode.

28:40 - Pink Floyd’s The Wall album was released in November of 1979.

Internupdate and Episodeupdate on the same day. Now I understand the name Double Fine :).

Hooray for Amnesia Fortnight, that's how you keep the creativity in the house!

I just thought to myself that it was a long time since the last dfa episode. So I logged in here and saw this. Posted 2 minutes ago. Nice :)

I'm enjoying the exponential increase in cursing with every episode. :)

Are you guys going to be live-blogging Amnesia Fortnight? That would be the coolest thing ever!

"... there's no publisher fuckin' us in the ass over it" Exactly, that's what we backed this thing for. Do it how it'll work, if you gotta try something else because what you're doing is reaching a dead end, or if you're stuck on one thing jump to another. As one of your thousands of bosses I say: you are your own enemy, trust in yourself and I (we?) will say "Yay!"

I am still very interested to see how the discovery of the meaning of "Bagel's style" plays out but I'm not worried about it because you're all nice people and will figure it out.

Woah, tons of spoilers in this one! I'll go against my principles and watch anyway.

I guess I should post more so... yay new episode! :)

Wow, that was useful. I wonder how many people will read my useless comment! :P

Finally, some game scenes info, great choice! As long as puzzle solutions and plot twists are not exposed I wouldn't count these as spoilers. It's really part of seeing how the game is being made.

Oh, and the episode alternate title really fits. :)

Edit: forgot to mention, Tim's explanation on the puzzles really capture one of the great values of adventure game. I like the feeling when the game anticipates the wrong choices.

Bit by bit, more of the game is starting to be revealed, and everything I see just makes me more and more excited!

Also, love the alternate title. Really captures the spirit of the project. ;)

"Over Skype it's hard to talk about how you're feeling" sounds like Cabbage Boy's killer followup to Girlfriend.

I'm enjoying the exponential increase in cursing with every episode. :)

Are you guys going to be live-blogging Amnesia Fortnight? That would be the coolest thing ever!

We're not sure how AF is going to work from a public standpoint, but we're tossing some ideas around. It's always been a private event in the past, but who knows!

This just made my Friday. Thanks guys.

Can someone at Double Fine ask Bagel where he got his t-shirt with the chopped off head? It's awesome and I want one.

The opening scene of the game described at 8:12 sounds like a type of movie where people do naughty things.

edit - the word for that is censored. ;) Starts with p and ends with o.

What are the square headphones that Bagel is wearing while he works (around the 23 minute mark)? I think Tim might have been wearing the same sort of thing too earlier on in the episode, but I can't find it again now.

Really great update again. The cut scenes look amazing!

You know, every time I watch these episodes I feel really sad and depressed, because I wish I could be there and work on a videogame just like that, and at the same time I feel like there's no way I could possibly make it.

Nice to see that Marius got to work on Reds! His application was awesome and judging from this documentary hes made significant contributions already!

This documentary is just the best. I grow more attached to the team and project with each episode.. so much so that I'm starting to think the game's release will have a much more significant emotional impact on me than other games.

Another fantastic episode. I'm sensing things aren't as happy and rosy as they were a few months ago, which is normal, but also makes these film clips even more interesting to watch. They feel real.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0