Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Chris Remo

Hey Slacker Backers! Have you been getting your update emails?

23 posts in this topic

Hey folks! As most of you hopefully know, on Friday we sent out our most recent Reds update email, containing the new documentary episode and various other bits of information. These emails go out both to Kickstarter backers and post-Kickstarter "slacker backers" who paid via PayPal.

Some of you might NOT know this though, because you might be a slacker backer whose PayPal email does not actually properly accept email from our server. We always end up getting a fair number of bounced-back emails.

The updates always have the subject line "Double Fine Adventure Backer Update." The latest one went out October 26. The one before that went out September 19, and before that August 8. If you haven't been getting them, try searching your inbox and junk/spam folder for the email address associated with the PayPal account you used to back the project. (If you backed via Kickstarter, the format will be "Project Update #XX: Double Fine Adventure by Double Fine and 2 Player Productions")

If you definitely don't have them anywhere, email us at dfa at doublefine dot com (To help us keep things in order, please don't use this email for any other purpose - support@doublefine.com is our support address), so we can change that email address to one that will accept external emails. Just let us know which address you'd prefer to use. When we make that change, we'll also have to change the address your forum account is associated with, so you don't lose backer access.

(Also, if for some reason you're a Kickstarter backer who isn't getting the updates, unfortunately we have no control over that. The address that Kickstarter updates go to is entirely determined by the email address associated with your Kickstarter account, so your first step should be double-checking that.)

Thanks!

EDIT: Of course, there are also three other places you can always get the latest updates, not just the monthly ones:

- Table of Excellent Contents Forum Thread

- Table of Excellent Contents Site

- Table of Excellent Contents RSS Feed

FYI

I'm going to assume the KS updates I am seeing are the ones you are talking about (since the dates match up), in which case, for me at least, the subject lines read:

"Project Update #XX: Double Fine Adventure by Double Fine and 2 Player Productions"

for all of them, where the latest XX = 13.

FYI

I'm going to assume the KS updates I am seeing are the ones you are talking about (since the dates match up), in which case, for me at least, the subject lines read:

"Project Update #XX: Double Fine Adventure by Double Fine and 2 Player Productions"

for all of them, where the latest XX = 13.

Yep! That's the format for the Kickstarter email subjects. If you're getting those, you're all set.

I guess a small percentage of backers have already forgotten about this Kickstarter?

I'd be very interested if you could post some kind of game adoption rate (e.g. percentage of Steam keys used or similar) after the game goes live, just to see whether some people didn't actually care about their rewards...

That's e-mail I actually don't gettting, thankfully I haven't been affected. That's always the highlight of my morning to find there is a new DF/2PP Productions video up.

And if all else fails, subscribing to the "DFA Development Update Table of Excellent Contents" thread is probably the most reliable place to get updates. That thread is awesome, Chris! Thanks for everything, man.

How many Slacker Backers are there now? Last count I remember was somewhere at 3,000.

We're up to about 4,800. Not bad!

So, do we call Slacker Backers who don't get the updates in time Double Slacker Backers?

I deleted my Paypal account because of evil, but I can still receive email at the address I used. Will that cause problems at all?

I deleted my Paypal account because of evil, but I can still receive email at the address I used. Will that cause problems at all?

Nope--we don't have any direct access to users' PayPal accounts (curses!!), so from our standpoint nothing should be changed. All we have is a record of the payment and your email address.

I had a lovely customer Kickstart because she saw me cursing my lack of funds at the time on Twitter around my Birthday, so not my email address. You lucky Slacker Backers, you! I'll have to make do with Remos Most Excellent TOC :)

How many Slacker Backers are there now? Last count I remember was somewhere at 3,000.

How will this 72K be used. I'm guessing that the financial planning is already done. So what's happening with the "extra" money?

Thanks for the update, Chris!

How will this 72K be used. I'm guessing that the financial planning is already done. So what's happening with the "extra" money?

For one thing, it's just good to have a bit of a buffer. It's a good chunk of money but not quite enough to significantly change the scope of the game. There are all kinds of incidental costs that come up along production that it's good to have a slush fund to help deal with. But maybe if the slacker backer program keeps going well, we'll be able to actually add on a full additional team member without exhausting all the added budget.

For one thing, it's just good to have a bit of a buffer. It's a good chunk of money but not quite enough to significantly change the scope of the game. There are all kinds of incidental costs that come up along production that it's good to have a slush fund to help deal with. But maybe if the slacker backer program keeps going well, we'll be able to actually add on a full additional team member without exhausting all the added budget.

I'm betting the price increase will be timed with the influx of new Slacker Backers from the Announcement Trailer scheduled to be released sometime in December. Seems as though Double Fine is looking to have extra Programmer time to fix bugs from the 87,000 beta testers.

Seems as though Double Fine is looking to have extra Programmer time to fix bugs from the 87,000 beta testers.

That is assuming that everyone who backed the game 1) is going to play it through Steam, and 2) doesn't just going to play the game, warts and all [so to speak], without bothering to report bugs. I have been guilty of the latter. An automated bug/error reporting utility to hold peoples' hands and speed up the process may come in handy if there end up being a large number of beta testers but only a few actually reporting bugs.

Wait, you guys send emails out for updates?

Well, looks like I have to email an awesome game company.

EDIT: Actually, nope I just have bad eyesight.

I am a Kickstarter Backer who isn't getting e-mails. But as long as I can find the updates on the project page at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure/posts, then that's fine. Actually about 6 months ago I stopped receiving Kickstarter project update e-mails about ANY Kickstarter project (I am currently backing 22 projects). I've contacted Kickstarter about the problem, but have received no reply. In the end, I've just resorted to visiting Kickstarter once a week or so to check my inbox for updates. That's working fine for me for now.

I *do* get e-mails from Kickstarter with important announcements, such as when a project I've backed achieves their funding goal. I'm not sure why they're able to send me these e-mails but not others.

I also get an e-mail from DoubleFine whenever the "DFA Development Update Table of Excellent Contents" forum thread is updated, so that works too.

I'm sorry Chris, I've gotten two update emails so far (26.10 and 22.11) but not the most recent one. I don't know what could've happened, but I searched my mail server logs for a possible bounce, and found nothing:

root@jikov:~# grep doublefine /var/log/mail.log*

root@jikov:~#

Not a big deal really, just annoying.

Everybody have a very happy 2013!

Update; it's irrelevant, just got this:

Hello backers! 2 Player Productions here! For the holidays we more or less took a break before diving back into the Reds project for the new year. That means soon we’re going to have a lot more resources to devote to Reds again and we’re excited about all the cool content that’s going to be coming for you guys! For now, enjoy Episode 7! Some of you may have seen this already, as it was posted on the forums in late December—the holiday break interfered with our ability to send out this email update.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0