Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Chris Remo

Private backer test of the new Double Fine Action Shop!

70 posts in this topic

Hello backers!

We’ve got a bit of non-Reds-specific news for you today. Recently we’ve been putting together a new Double Fine merchandise storefront because, let’s face it, the trusty old shop has really been showing its age. I put a fresh coat of paint on the thing, and took the opportunity to spruce up the innards as well with a new merchant provider. (At Tim's request, we even rechristened it the Double Fine Action Shop, as it was once called many years ago.) Laura from the old DF Shop has been getting all the merchandise inventoried and listed.

Here’s where you come in: The new store still isn't open to the public, because we want to make sure everything works smoothly, and we figured you might want to help! So we’re letting backers in to kick the tires, and maybe buy a few tires too. Well, we don’t sell tires. We have, like, t-shirts and art prints and stuff. But remember: You kick it, you pay for it. Okay, this metaphor is getting away from me.

We also have several items debuting on this new store today, including the Double Fine Adventure Hipster Lumberjack Print and The Cave character figurines (only previously available at PAX), and the Double Fine 2HB coffee mug (only previously available if you actually work here).

Anyway, as a way of saying thanks for helping us get this thing squared away, you can take 10% off your order! Just use the coupon code “hipsterjack” (no quotes) when checking out.

The store is here:

http://newshop.doublefine.com/

The password to get in is this:

redsonly

PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:

- We’re still working on fully populating our item inventory with nice pretty photos and the like—the store should be all functional, but I'm still squaring away some of the fit and finish.

- Even though every item has buttons to share the merchandise with various social networking sites, you probably won't find the result very useful, as the store is password-protected and your friends probably won't be able to follow the shared link!

- If you’ve got any feedback, questions, or bug reports, share away in this thread! If you run into issues with an actual placed order, it’s best to directly contact dfshop@doublefine.com about it, rather than post here.

Thanks for the help!

Chris

All I want is to purchase a DF PAX shirt, but the cart page just refreshes when I click Check Out!

All I want is to purchase a DF PAX shirt, but the cart page just refreshes when I click Check Out!

That is bizarre! I just added a PAX shirt to my cart, clicked checked out, and it took me to the next step.

What browser and OS are you using?

Anyone else having this problem?

Chrome on OS X Mountain Lion. Excessive clicking took me through signing into PayPal, entering my coupon code, clicking "Complete My Purchase" and... Got a 404 page. Did the order go through? Only laura@doublefine.com knows, as that's who PayPal said I was paying.

it would be nice if on the shopping cart page there was a spot where you put in your ZIP and get the shipping/tax costs. i really appreciate it when stores have that.

Tried again and it went through. Only got one notification from PayPal, so I think all is well.

it would be nice if on the shopping cart page there was a spot where you put in your ZIP and get the shipping/tax costs. i really appreciate it when stores have that.

You get that as soon as you go to the checkout page.

Chrome on OS X Mountain Lion. Excessive clicking took me through signing into PayPal, entering my coupon code, clicking "Complete My Purchase" and... Got a 404 page. Did the order go through? Only laura@doublefine.com knows, as that's who PayPal said I was paying.

Very odd with the excessive clicking! I use Chrome and haven't ever seen that behavior. Also odd about the 404 page. We'll look into it!

Edit: You definitely paid once (and only once). I see it on the orders page. It looks like the first attempt at PayPal failed authorization on PayPal's side, for some reason, but the second attempt went through.

sorry, i meant when you can see the shipping/tax costs without going thru the entering your whole shipping info process, so you can quickly see what the final total will be without entering a bunch of stuff. it's a minor thing, but a nice convenience :-)

sorry, i meant when you can see the shipping/tax costs without going thru the entering your whole shipping info process, so you can quickly see what the final total will be without entering a bunch of stuff. it's a minor thing, but a nice convenience :-)

The problem is, there's no way to calculate shipping or tax without knowing where you live! Tax is dependent on whether or not you live in California (if you do, we need to pay California sales tax), and shipping is dependent on how much it costs to ship to your location. It's a bit of a pain, but it's the only way to do it!

The problem is, there's no way to calculate shipping or tax without knowing where you live! Tax is dependent on whether or not you live in California (if you do, we need to pay California sales tax), and shipping is dependent on how much it costs to ship to your location. It's a bit of a pain, but it's the only way to do it!

right, which is why sites usually have a little box to just enter your ZIP code.

right, which is why sites usually have a little box to just enter your ZIP code.

Ahh, I see what you mean. I'll look into that--it depends how much access to the API we get from Shopify, which is the software that powers our store. It might be possible, but I'm not sure!

I got a notice telling me I couldn't get two of an item. The hipster jack print I believe. Not sure if that's as designed based on limited inventory.

Otherwise, thumbs up. Looks good and performed well.

I got a notice telling me I couldn't get two of an item. The hipster jack print I believe. Not sure if that's as designed based on limited inventory.

Otherwise, thumbs up. Looks good and performed well.

Crap! That was actually a bug. But I wouldn't have noticed it if someone didn't point it out, which I guess was the whole reason we're doing this test! Turns out it was also happening with the Cave toys. The way we were tracking inventory on those items messed with the code I wrote to protect us against running out of inventory. It's fixed now. Sorry about that!!

Just added an "All" category in the top nav bar. Figured people might want to just browse through everything regardless of product type or associated game.

I have a question about the T-shirts. Can I choose the human included with my shirt? Specifically, I would like a human with more facial hair than the ones shown in the pictures.

I have a question about the T-shirts. Can I choose the human included with my shirt? Specifically, I would like a human with more facial hair than the ones shown in the pictures.

As we're still in beta, we're limiting the available human options until we're confident our shipping options will transport more valuable facial hair-adorned humans safely.

The category GAMES in the top right corner seems a bit confusing, as I'd expect to find games under there, much like under POSTERS I expect to find posters.

The category GAMES in the top right corner seems a bit confusing, as I'd expect to find games under there, much like under POSTERS I expect to find posters.

Yeah, we went back on forth on that. If anyone has better suggestions for how to name that category, we'll definitely consider them.

Edit: Changed it to "By Game" for now.

Yeah, we went back on forth on that. If anyone has better suggestions for how to name that category, we'll definitely consider them.

SORT BY GAME? Perhaps also make it a dropdown list so it would be more obvious these are categories, not items.

Is it really needed, though? There's a bar at the bottom already. Maybe move that in the top?

=-D YAY!!!!! Thanks for the backer discount! Come on... GROUP HUG

*checked it out and came back*

...OMG... It's so beautiful! The Cave figurines are AWESOME... So much great stuff!

Question: On the DFA lumberjack poster, why does the lumberjack look sad? Any chance of a happy lumberjack version?

Maybe he has a rock in his boot...and he's thinking about how he's got to stop and unlace his boot to get out the rock... and he's a little annoyed because he was almost at the cabin... but he's got to get it out because now it's torn his sock and is between his toes and he's going to get a cut or a blister from it... which would really suck.. but the ground is wet and if he's going to have to hop or balance on one foot or sit down and get his butt all wet...(probably the last one since he's had a mild ear infection and his balance is not so great at the moment)... and he's got no spare pants at the cabin... and it's really cold due to a sudden change in the weather, so going without pants isn't going to be as much fun. Also, that was his favorite pair of socks. Poor guy. I guess I'd frown, too.

SORT BY GAME? Perhaps also make it a dropdown list so it would be more obvious these are categories, not items.

Is it really needed, though? There's a bar at the bottom already. Maybe move that in the top?

That thought occurred to me, too. The bar at the bottom is useful, but it's so useful that putting it at the very bottom of the page seems like an odd place to put such a convenient filtering tool.

The "By Game" button on top is cool, because I like the page that shows the game art, even though it basically serves the same function as the bar at the bottom. Not that having two ways to get to a destination is necessarily bad.

The thing that is confusing about the GAME/BYGAME category is ultimately up to the way people parse the categories in their heads. It makes sense when you parse each button as the end of the expression "SORT BY:"

Sort by clothing

Sort by posters

Sort by prints

Sort by game

But as a person who is shopping, when I looked at the bar, I wanted to think of each of those more along the lines of "I can buy ___"

I can buy clothing

I can buy posters

I can buy prints

I can buy game (I can buy games? Is this where I go to buy games?)

I can buy by game (???)

It seems organizationally awkward, because clicking on "clothing" takes you directly to clothing; clicking on "posters" takes you directly to posters; but clicking on "game" or "by game" takes you to an intermediary page. It seems like something like "game merch" would work better as a description, though it still leaves an unusual intermediary page.

Would something like this be too much clutter?

That thought occurred to me, too. The bar at the bottom is useful, but it's so useful that putting it at the very bottom of the page seems like an odd place to put such a convenient filtering tool.

The "By Game" button on top is cool, because I like the page that shows the game art, even though it basically serves the same function as the bar at the bottom. Not that having two ways to get to a destination is necessarily bad.

The thing that is confusing about the GAME/BYGAME category is ultimately up to the way people parse the categories in their heads. It makes sense when you parse each button as the end of the expression "SORT BY:"

Sort by clothing

Sort by posters

Sort by prints

Sort by game

But as a person who is shopping, when I looked at the bar, I wanted to think of each of those more along the lines of "I can buy ___"

I can buy clothing

I can buy posters

I can buy prints

I can buy game (I can buy games? Is this where I go to buy games?)

I can buy by game (???)

It seems organizationally awkward, because clicking on "clothing" takes you directly to clothing; clicking on "posters" takes you directly to posters; but clicking on "game" or "by game" takes you to an intermediary page. It seems like something like "game merch" would work better as a description, though it still leaves an unusual intermediary page.

Would something like this be too much clutter?

The mockup you put forth is definitely something I considered. However, the reason I put it at the bottom is that DF is putting games out at a crazy pace at this point, and I wanted the game nav bar to be able to gracefully spill out onto any number of lines. As soon as we have merchandise for one or two more games, it would look pretty awkward up at the top, and waste valuable space that is pushing down the page content.

It's a bit of a weird problem! I actually designed an entirely different looking store, which we scrapped, and then I landed on this one as a workable compromise.

With respect to the "by game" thing: I really like having the game hub page, because its nice to see the full list with nice big images, but I agree with the people who have said that integrating its nav element with the other categories isn't very intuitive. I'm not convinced there's a perfect solution that doesn't overcrowd how much navigation there is, but I'll certainly keep taking suggestions.

The mockup you put forth is definitely something I considered. However, the reason I put it at the bottom is that DF is putting games out at a crazy pace at this point, and I wanted the game nav bar to be able to gracefully spill out onto any number of lines. As soon as we have merchandise for one or two more games, it would look pretty awkward up at the top, and waste valuable space that is pushing down the page content.

Ah, too true, too true.

It's a bit of a weird problem! I actually designed an entirely different looking store, which we scrapped, and then I landed on this one as a workable compromise.

With respect to the "by game" thing: I really like having the game hub page, because its nice to see the full list with nice big images, but I agree with the people who have said that integrating its nav element with the other categories isn't very intuitive. I'm not convinced there's a perfect solution that doesn't overcrowd how much navigation there is, but I'll certainly keep taking suggestions.

You might be right. If it turns out that there isn't a perfect solution to the wording of that particular category, what would you think of the idea of moving the category to the immediate right of "All"?

I say that because, if you think of how each of these categories is nested in the others, ALL is the broadest layer, and it seems like sorting by game would be the second broadest layer, and then you'd get to the other more specific categories. "All" is similar to "By game" in that it doesn't refer to a thing you can actually buy as much as it is simply a filter.

Maybe it would gain a sliiiiight bit more intuitiveness by moving those filters closer together so that, as your eyes travel to the right, the labels become narrower categories?

Makes sense in my mind, but maybe others would disagree. You may have a perfectly good reason for having it exactly the way it is.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0