Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Levi

Art Update 10: Concept Art Roundup

60 posts in this topic

Hey awesome Backers!

Concept art might be one of my favorite things in the world. My name is Levi and I’m doing art for Reds. I’m also a backer, so I’ve pretty much paid myself to do what I love to do!

Today we are throwing out a big range of art that has been done so far for Reds. The things here may or may not end up in the final game in this form, but nonetheless are awesome to see. So check it out! Art by Tim (guess which one that is), Bagel, Peter, Scott and me.

art10_01.jpg

art10_03.jpg

art10_04.jpg

art10_05.jpg

art10_06.jpg

art10_07.jpg

art10_08.jpg

art10_09.jpg

art10_10.jpg

art10_11.jpg

art10_12.jpg

art10_13.jpg

art10_14.jpg

art10_15.jpg

Thanks for checking em’ out. These pieces were a small selection from the folders and folders of ideas that we have at this point for reds. Hope we can share more with you somewhere down the line.

Cool!!!! I love this stuff. The ships look great, especially the ones that look like animals - H and I. The "whiskers" are cute.

The Chinese {edit: sorry, Japanese} dragon-architecture is amazing.

Good work! Love to see concept art, especially something this creative.

If I had infinite monies and infinite Bagels I would make a game based entirely off of Bagel art.

If I had infinite monies and infinite Bagels I would make a game based entirely off of Bagel art.

Isn't this kinda what the team slated DFA to be?

I love the printer-shredder navbot.

I didn't realize what it reminded me of until you said something. His beard is paper! Awesome.

Wow, bagels' concept art is really cool! I can see why Tim wanted to feature him. Peter Chan's stuff is amazing as well. Can't wait to see this stuff come to life.

YES!!!!! This looks so interesting. Any music ideas floating through your heads?

YES!!!!! This looks so interesting. Any music ideas floating through your heads?

You can hear bits of Peter McConnel's early music ideas in Episode 6 of the documentary!

I love the printer-shredder navbot.

Thanks Ghib! That was fun to work on.

I love the robot, I juvenil-ally want it to malfunction and have the robot-o parallel to a fart and all of the read outs and warnings slips come out the end...because it looks like an old wise robo-sage man figure, whom we all know fart and are stinky old men.

Then it checks the warning read outs almost like to see if he's pooped himself...or something similar to that situation...sort of in that panicked shame filled moment of terror. Or it could just be a nav-bot imagination aside.

I love the artwork!

Really cool to see.

I look forward to seeing what Bagel comes up with for the rest of the game!

SPACESHIP DESIGNS!!!

I like H and I. One of the things everyone (including me) seems to like about Bagel's art is that he can take a concept like a spaceship---an art object that would be sooo easy to base on decades of past interpretations---and do something that isn't just original, but is actually kinda off-kilter in a really delightful way. It imbues his work with a sort of mystique that tickles at the curious part of your brain and is just generally hard not to like.. These spaceships are but another good example.

Also, spaceship A reminds me of

. COMPLIANCE!

SPACESHIP FURNITURE!!!

I like how this is spaceship furniture, and yet it all looks really organic somehow. Most of the pieces of furniture almost look like they are based off of insect body types. One piece even looks like some kind of tapeworm with eyes!

COLOR PAINTING OF THE MAIDEN FEAST!!!

That looks seriously good. I really like that. And look! SG even has her super popular, community-adored pony tail snapping behind her! This image alone makes me really excited.

THE OTHER COLOR PAINTING RIGHT BELOW THAT ONE!!!

The aerial view. What I really like about this one is how the smooth, curving lines formed by some elements of the landscape intersect with the more straight, geometric lines of other elements. I get a really subtle cubism vibe from it. Intentional? Or am I just seeing things that aren't there?

NAVBOT!!!

This is awesome. I am ready to receive his wisdom.

Wow, I really love the bagel selections in this update, in particular bird B from the second bird image and the re-imagining of the cake scene. I think Anenome pretty much hit the nail on the head as to why his art is so cool.

now that's talking! most of the concept art from the update 4 right in front of us! just a question, are you going to print an artbook with all this awesomeness? I mean, I saw there was one for the kickstarter backer, but for us poos backer slackers?

seriously, this is not just beautiful, It's really inspiring too!

Anyway, a lot of people (me too!) here want to become concept artist, and you're basically teaching us the job. I think the biggest thank you is not still enough.

as they say, shut up and take my money!

This stuff is AMAZING! Can't wait to play through these wonderful worlds!

I would buy a figurine of that awesome navbot guy. Really cool.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0