Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OrbitalBliss

Hero Name

15 posts in this topic

K, the stream suggested that the Hero did not yet have a name...

So let us share those now, I'll start with a few ideas:

1) Lex -- Mostly just a good name. From Jurassic Park, she was a hacker after all.

2) Libby -- Classic from Hackers, better suited than Acid Burn, but perhaps Kate would be better.

3) Juanita -- A bit more obscure, from Snow Crash.

4) Trinity -- Not my favourite, but anyway...

What do you guys think?

Link or Quote would be perfect if they fit to a female character and obviously they had not already been taken.

I put this in the character design page already. I think they should name her Star - as in the asterisk symbol used in programming to 'link' to data.

So it references both Zelda and programming.

How about Errata? That would fit nicely with the theme...

In true Zelda style, you should be able to choose your own name. But for a canonical name, I like Star.

Other ideas:

Alice - from Alice and Bob cryptography examples

Aster - short for asterisk

Foo or Bar - common programmer placeholder names. Not sure how feminine they are. I guess Bar could be short for Barbara or something.

I also thought of Ada, Pearl, or Ruby, but the references seem too heavy-handed.

I don't have a name yet, but I think it would be truly awesome if here initials were DLL (Dynamically Linked Library) but with something that fits better as a name that what the acronym actually stands for. Possibly even going with the middle initial still being Link but only write it as L. and those in on the joke will fill it in on their own.

Edit - Dara means knowledge in Hebrew and Delilah of course references being manipulative, Dristi is all seeing in an Indian language (Asia, not Americas) according to the internet. Maybe Daemona (has to be ae), reference is obvious. That's all I can think of for the D.

I like the idea of a programming/hacking related name, but since the character is meant to be an Elf, how about a name in her own tongue?

After a quick google for elvish vocabularies, I found one that has "Star" in (Tolkien) Elvish, as either Elen or Gîl. Seems a bit plain by itself, so combining it with other words, we can have something like Elengûl (= star magic, since manipulating the game world would seem like sorcery) or Gîlhen (= star eye, as she sees the world with a programmers view).

what do you guys think of these names?

- Hashtag

- Bitmap

- Tandy

I like Tandy. A nice reference, but still feels like an actual character name.

PS. I sincerely hope the game has at least one pointer or handle related pun.

It just occurred to me, you HAVE to be able to hack your character's name in the game. Maybe using your USB cable on yourself, or a later tool. Maybe there's a Enter Name screen when you start the game, that accepts a buffer overflow that changes another field of memory. For example, you have 10 characters to enter your name. If you enter 15, the 5 extra characters are the main villain's name or Epona's name, etc.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0