Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Atkinson_2pp

Sidequest: "There Could Possibly Be Some Legal Issues"

68 posts in this topic

Hello Backers!

In this installment of the DFA Sidequest videos we look at Brandon Dillon, Senior Programmer here at Double Fine, and how his love of Adventure games as a youngster led him to very interesting opportunities working in the video games industry from a young age, to a fascinating hobby project, then landing at Double Fine and being selected to work on the Adventure project.

[vimeo]57156391[/vimeo]

Episode Notes:

0:59 - Full Throttle

1:02 - Hood Ornament of Tim Schafer. He’s in the experience, get it?! This in no way reflects my feelings towards Tim.

1:24 - Grim Fandango. Eva and Manny casually pass their time with office banter.

2:34 - Nintendo Gameboy

3:03 - Star Wars: Dark Forces

3:13 - LucasArts Archives

4:11 - Final Fantasy IV

4:31 - Secret Of Monkey Island

5:13 - I want to make some comment about baby Brandon but he is too nice and I have nothing to say.

5:19 - IBM XT 286

6:11 - // Brandon - A blurry picture of Jeff Strain, the guy who gave me my start, and high school era me with my best friends.

6:26 - Blizzard Entertainment [Wiki]

7:02 - And you will have no idea how broken it was...

7:39 - //Brandon - Me with a stupid haircut working on a huuuge laptop (middle school)

8:12 - ArenaNet [Wiki]

8:15 - Guild Wars

8:42 - //Brandon - Early days of ArenaNet, working out of Mike O’Brien’s apartment. Jeff Strain in the foreground, his wife Annie at the computer, cofounder Pat Wyatt with spiky hair, and me with a dumb haircut and a huge t-shirt.

10:02 - Guild Wars 2 [Wiki]

10:19 - About 6 million units worth of success!

12:06 - Stacking [Wiki]

12:10 - Brutal Legend [Wiki]

12:17 - Costume Quest

12:40 - The Cave [Wiki] Pre-orders for The Cave on Steam have just opened with TF2 items too! Line up for a trip into this amazing Amusement site. Warning: Don’t get freaked out if The Cave talks to you, it can do that.

12:44 - Middle Manager of Justice Website [Wiki] Middle Manager of Justice is now available FREE on the iTunes App Store as well.

13:25 - The Amnesia Fortnight game jam has a made a significant impact on Double Fine to shape it into what it is today.

15:45 - Legal issues be damned! We decided to be bold and show you, the backers, a slice of Brandon’s X-Box implementation. The opening interactions of Grim were used to highlight the differences between the versions.

15:56 - Brandon’s version uses the X-Box 360’s hardware for higher audio and graphics processing for great functions like anti-aliasing, higher color precision, and upsampling! He was really excited when explaining this to me.

18:00 - ResidualVM [Wiki]

21:06 - You can play many of those old games with the help of ScummVM!

Something is a little different this time around. This DFA Sidequest is being brought to you from the calloused hands of an intern! My name is Marc and I have been working here in the Double Fine Offices with 2PP for the last several months.

My job with 2PP is actually pretty great, I’ve been doing a little bit of everything, from normal intern duties like carrying and setting up equipment, to actual hands-on camera and audio work. The 2PP guys have really been making sure that I get a well rounded experience and introduction to all the aspects of documentary filmmaking. In school at UCSC I primarily focused on editing and sound design, which are my focuses when it comes to film, but I’ve always had a love for documentaries and made several documentary projects for my various production classes. As my experience has developed and I’ve gotten more comfortable with the cameras and mics I have also grown to enjoy the filming/recording parts too. All these coupled with my passion for videogames (and especially Tim Schafer and Double Fine’s work) made me excited to propose myself as a on-site intern for the project.

I’m a local from the East Bay so its a pretty easy commute and I usually get to the office around 10 am three or four days a week. I chill for a spell while I prepare my works for the day (generally editing some other side videos for 2PP), and make sure to set up the equipment for Paul Levering and I to record the stand-ups at the start of the day. I generally boom the scenes or work a second camera. When the whole gang is here (Paul Owens and Asif Siddiky commute once or twice a month from Portland and stay for a few days to gather the bulk of the episode footage) I tend to be back up, holding extra lenses and batteries for the shoots and trying to remember what they ordered for lunch. They have their three-person formula down to a science, but I fill in once in awhile. I edit footage on an extra 2PP MacBook and use Final Cut Pro X, its been a tad difficult getting used to it but its coming along and after a few other projects my workflow is rather consistent, yet still at a snail’s pace compared to 2PP. I work for the day tying things together with editing, shooting, or other things until about 6-6:30 pm and I split off for the night.

It’s been fantastic working here at Double Fine, the people are wonderful and the environment can’t be beat. I was super excited and a backer for this project too before I planned to apply for an internship as well, so I’ve been browsing the site and watching the videos alongside you all too, but I was never much of one to talk on the forums. I plan on being more engaged here though from here on out, so feel free to ask me questions here and I’ll try my best to get back to you lovely backer folk!

Take care and enjoy!

Thanks! I've looked forward to more side-quests.

Edit: Good taste! Grim is the best game ever made imo.

Damn. I've heard of folks who started young, but Brandon is another level.

Welcome Marc. Have you worked on anything else we might know?

Hey, given that copyright duration in the US is 95 years you can probably release your code in 2093. Mark your calendars everybody!

Welcome Marc. Have you worked on anything else we might know?

Thanks, but I haven't really worked on anything noticeable. This is my first gig out of school. For the most part I help film when Paul Owens and Asif aren't around, but I've done other supporting post-production stuff for 2PP, partly edited some other videos, previewing DFA footage and tagging it. Sometimes just providing another set of eyes on the rough cuts. This is my first official video with them that I've done from beginning to end. But I'm hoping to be cranking out some more Sidequest content alongside them. But the footage I actually helped film started appearing in Episode 5 I believe, which made me super excited to see for the first time.

internship...13...welp.

btw well done mark.

btw2 whats up with paul? is he out for a while or something?

Oh excellent, I love the Sidequest stuff. Great work Marc, can't wait to see more of it.

btw well done mark.

Thank you, I'm really pleased with it too and I'm excited that I got to release a product as a part of DFA, makes me feel all professional and whatnot.

As for Paul and the guys, they've just been preoccupied trying to make sure that their new Minecraft documentary gets its proper release support, but we're still working and filming around the offices here.

Welcome to the project, Marc. =D

Thanks for the new sidequest! Interesting interview. (I want Grim on my XBOX!) I wish I was lucky enough to be one of those people who knew in their adolescence exactly what they wanted to do as an adult and were able to spend years and years learning and mastering their craft. Very few people are so lucky. Congrats, Brandon.

btw well done mark.

Thank you, I'm really pleased with it too and I'm excited that I got to release a product as a part of DFA, makes me feel all professional and whatnot.

As for Paul and the guys, they've just been preoccupied trying to make sure that their new Minecraft documentary gets its proper release support, but we're still working and filming around the offices here.

thanks for the info. ppl working on the crowdsourced subtitle translations are getting a bit nervous. there is a thread paul used to reply in here in the forum. but there hasnt been any activity coming from him as of late. weve no episodes to translate other than the two episodes that have been up for like 3 months and ppl want to continue.

Ah man, that was excellent. I cold have watched that for hours.

Brandon is like an adult Michael Cera.

Roll on episode 8.

thanks for the info. ppl working on the crowdsourced subtitle translations are getting a bit nervous. there is a thread paul used to reply in here in the forum. but there hasnt been any activity coming from him as of late. weve no episodes to translate other than the two episodes that have been up for like 3 months and ppl want to continue.

Yeah, no worries, its a definite plan to get it out to you folks soon. We all made our resolutions for the New Year just before midnight. :-P

Thanks for a proper introduction, Marc! When I first saw this was from a random person I was getting ready to complain about who you were and why you didn't introduce yourself straight away - but then I found it down at the bottom and it made me happy :D

I'm also new in the field of doing documentary (well, more promotional videos than anything for now) work for games, though I'm more of a producer than anything else. However, like you, I also tend to multitask with minor other jobs such as manning the camera and being the sound guy - and I can certainly agree that it has been really interesting work. What I wouldn't give to be in your shoes though. Covering Double Fine sounds amazing :)

Brandon talks really fast.

(thank you both!)

Brandon like talks like really like fast :)

Great episode though!

Thanks for a proper introduction, Marc! When I first saw this was from a random person I was getting ready to complain about who you were and why you didn't introduce yourself straight away - but then I found it down at the bottom and it made me happy :D

I'm also new in the field of doing documentary (well, more promotional videos than anything for now) work for games, though I'm more of a producer than anything else. However, like you, I also tend to multitask with minor other jobs such as manning the camera and being the sound guy - and I can certainly agree that it has been really interesting work. What I wouldn't give to be in your shoes though. Covering Double Fine sounds amazing :)

Haha, for sure. I knew I wanted to make an introduction but I figured I shouldn't make you guys suffer through it to get to the video, for the people who don't really care too much. :-P

Yeah, its awesome to have that all-around experience in these small teams, and I know I'm incredibly lucky to be where I am and be around these amazing projects and personalities.

Thanks for the terrific Side Quest as always, 2PP + Marc. Look forward to the next episode as well!

Fun pills and sleds for Marc.

Smiles

I like Brandon. He talks smoothly and knows what he is doing, I like this kind of people. This sidequest was really cool, the ArenaNet part... What a small industry.

And thanks for the introduction, Marc. Welcome on board... I guess? A bit late, but still.

Ahhh, yes...making one's own text games in QBASIC. I did that as well back in the day. Makes me wish I had been able to follow through on those early interests in programming!

Good job with the sidequest, Marc.

It's always interesting to hear about people's path into the industry, and this one is no exception. Also, it's nice to see Brandon get some time in the spotlight. He doesn't seem like the most outgoing person on the team, so we don't see much of him in most of the episodes, but between this and the AF it seems like he's getting his due. That tech prototype footage for the Cave was really interesting to see as well. Would love to see more things like that either for REDs tech or other projects at DF.

Also, I don't own an Xbox 360, but I would totally buy one if they released that version of Grim Fandango.

Keep up the good work!

heh, ive just realized: qbasic source was the first source ive ever seen in my life. the best thing about transitioning from dos 3.0 to dos 5.0 was the inclusion of 2 examples for qbasic. that was gorilla(.bas) and nibbles(.bas). the first was a scorched earth-like game and the second was basically snake. i loved playing both of them, especially with my sister. back then it seemed so complicated, and couple years later... my perspective have changed quite a lot.

Yeah, no worries, its a definite plan to get it out to you folks soon. We all made our resolutions for the New Year just before midnight. :-P

awesome :).

After watching this video and the Amnesia Fortnight stuff, I feel humbled! I should really really work more.. You guys inspire me to become a better programmer!!

Lovely episode! Wished it was longer, so much interesting stuff. :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0