Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Chris Remo

Post-Kickstarter backer totals now public!

34 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

A number of you (starting with Cleft, I believe) have requested a counter to keep track of the ongoing Slacker Backer-related funds, especially now that we're offering the Majus prints and supporting a general tip jar.

So, Paul Du Bois and I went ahead and made it!

http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay/

A bit of explanation of how these are calculated:

- The general Slacker Backer total only takes into account the base cost of the back--in other words, if you back for $37, it will count as $30 for this figure.

- Same with the Prints total - each print is only calculated at $40 for this purpose. HOWEVER:

- The Tips total takes into account ALL excess funds donated to any of the categories. So that $37 back counts for $7 here.

- These numbers are recalculated every two hours, not in real time. This is because the queries used to generate these numbers are part of the same processes that do all our other backer-related internal functions, and we don't want to over-tax the system.

As we've said elsewhere, we appreciate all our backers enormously. If you've already contributed (and if you're reading this, you have), know that we aren't pressuring you to give more. However, many of you have requested the option to contribute more, and we're extremely appreciative of that.

Thanks folks!

Chris

Very impressed with the font used!

It's called "Press Start 2P." I found it on Google Web Fonts! Then I did a ton of CSS crap to it. I don't think I've ever applied this many CSS properties to one block of text before. (Well, if you include the bounding boxes, anyway.)

Neat. It would be interesting to get a better idea of what those totals mean for the project. How much programmer time could be payed for, etc.

Neat. It would be interesting to get a better idea of what those totals mean for the project. How much programmer time could be payed for, etc.

That would be a question for Greg probably, but there are some rough guidelines. Generally speaking we assume it costs roughly $10k to fund one developer for a month, once you take into account benefits, office expenses (rent/utilities/support/etc.), and all the other things that go into employing somebody. But of course that can change a lot depending not just on the discipline but also on the amount of experience a particular person has, whether they're being shared between multiple projects, etc.

So roughly $100,000 = 10 people for one month. Crazy!

Theoretically, but I think it's safe to say that would definitely not be the way we would allocate it! :)

Dos this all go straight into Reds "The Game" or is it split with 2PP just as much as the rest of the money? (i asume it only is if the game gets delayed? 10k per developer pretty much means this should be enough to ad another month right?)

Dos this all go straight into Reds "The Game" or is it split with 2PP just as much as the rest of the money? (i asume it only is if the game gets delayed? 10k per developer pretty much means this should be enough to ad another month right?)

2 Player still gets a cut--they have to, because if we're extending the game development cycle, they have to be able to stay funded for the additional duration as well.

Generally speaking we assume it costs roughly $10k to fund one developer for a month

Cool.

The totals listed are gross totals do you have any idea what the (rough) net percentage for each category is? I assume it's different for each one (overhead, tax implications, etc). I'm also guessing that your accountant must love you guys for having to sort all this stuff out.

Generally speaking we assume it costs roughly $10k to fund one developer for a month

Cool.

The totals listed are gross totals do you have any idea what the (rough) net percentage for each category is? I assume it's different for each one (overhead, tax implications, etc). I'm also guessing that your accountant must love you guys for having to sort all this stuff out.

The margins are pretty good on this stuff because it's mainly digital, but there are PayPal fees, taxes, etc., as you indicate. (There are even more esoteric costs, like the hours that Paul and I spend implementing the features to sell these things from our site, but you can get out in the weeds trying to budget that.) The margin on the print is obviously lower than on the Slackers and Tip Jar, because we have to buy the ink and paper stock, make the print, and ship it, with shipping being the most expensive. How much we net per print varies a lot, because shipping the prints internationally eats into the margin a considerable amount. But hey, every little bit helps!

Cool.

The margins are pretty good on this stuff because it's mainly digital, but there are PayPal fees, taxes, etc., as you indicate. (There are even more esoteric costs, like the hours that Paul and I spend implementing the features to sell these things from our site, but you can get out in the weeds trying to budget that.) The margin on the print is obviously lower than on the Slackers and Tip Jar, because we have to buy the ink and paper stock, make the print, and ship it, with shipping being the most expensive. How much we net per print varies a lot, because shipping the prints internationally eats into the margin a considerable amount. But hey, every little bit helps!

Thanks. I'm just trying to roughly peg what effect the contributions are having. For instance, assuming a take of 70¢/$1 then for project to pay for a month of developer time @ $10K the contributers would have to give $14K.

Does the slacker backer total take into account that the price changed during development, or does it just multiply the slacker backer total by $30?

Does the slacker backer total take into account that the price changed during development, or does it just multiply the slacker backer total by $30?

It seems to be the former. If it just multiplied the total by $30, dividing the slacker backer funds by the number of slacker backers would be $30, but it's currently about $17.

It's an accurate total.

Thanks for providing us with so much insight on every aspect of the development process! I hope to see more projects like this in the future (also in other business branches). This is so cool ;)

haha! I wasn't aware of the box-shadow property! Cool!

haha! I wasn't aware of the box-shadow property! Cool!

I'm a huge box-shadow fan. Typically it's obviously just used to create a standard directional drop shadow, but once you start experimenting with it and combining multiple shadows on the same element, you can create pretty cool effects.

The tip jar should fill with money once you donate. Something like the attached.

Schafer in a tip jar.png

578d002e1acdf_Schaferinatipjar.png.18d5c

Nice to see the amount of slacker backers, print buyers, and all around good fellas and dames contributing.

Smiles

I love box shadows too...and Double Fine! Having gotten more than my money's worth of enjoyment out of the documentaries so far, I'm happy to toss a couple extra bucks your way.

Keep it up!

The tip jar should fill with money once you donate. Something like the attached.

Haha! It's like a dunk tank made of money!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0