Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Justin

Psychonauts Patch - Linux and Mac Update

66 posts in this topic

Hey Guys! As soon as this message is posted (or slightly after) you should see a new version of Psychonauts go live! I'm here to tell you about what's new in this patch, and also give an explanation.

Firstly, this is not the final patch. This one focuses mainly on the audio problems and general stability for Linux. The next patch will be coming hopefully in March, and they will continue until we feel that all versions of the game are in parity. Please report any issues you may encounter here in this thread, or to our support mail inbox.

What is known fixed in this build:

Linux: We tested on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, and I personally feel that the game is in a really good state. Audio was clear and crisp, didn't crash, and it felt like the true Psychonauts experience.

Mac: Mac is the platform that will have the most focus in upcoming patches. The audio issues were the main focus for this patch, and as far as I tested were fixed. Unfortunately, a majority of the graphical issues are still in the game. The next patch will focus on these graphical issues primarily.

PC: This patch shouldn't have affected anyone on PC, aside from making you realize it's been a while since you've played through Psychonauts. Hey, that actually sounds like a good idea right now, doesn't it...

True, but it's how Steam handles multi-OS titles as far as I'm aware. If there's another way to do so, we'll look into it to prevent bandwidth pain for you guys next time.

Was there always a /Documents directory with tonnes of internal design documents or has that been included in this update by mistake or intentionally?

Looks like Pnauts has been pushed up onto Steam for Linux. Thanks so much, guys <3

Was there always a /Documents directory with tonnes of internal design documents or has that been included in this update by mistake or intentionally?
internal design documents??? you copy that mofo and upload it to rapidshare immediately. it is your duty as an internet citizen.

internal design documents??? you copy that mofo and upload it to rapidshare immediately. it is your duty as an internet citizen.

Surely their duty as a Double Fine fan would outweigh that? :b

FYI that this bug also fixes the forever Bacon blur and a few other severe, progression blockers on OSX.

FYI that this bug also fixes the forever Bacon blur and a few other severe, progression blockers on OSX.

Forever Bacon? Why is that not an unlockable extra?

Hey there, thanks for the update! Glad to know the linux build is getting some love :)

Apart from the Steam integration, are there significant changes from the latest (0.6) icculus build? It's hard to tell what's been fixed. Many of the previous graphical glitches can still be seen. And while the Steam overlay works fine, achievements don't seem to register. Should I post bugs on icculus' bugzilla, or are you handling things internally now?

Please let us know if there's anything we can contribute to make this linux build as finely tuned as possible.

Thanks!

I notice that the Documents folder is a bit smaller, but the Cider EULAs are still hanging around. Are they relevant? I thought the Cider version was retired when the native version was launched with the Humble Indie Bundle V.

Hey there, thanks for the update! Glad to know the linux build is getting some love :)

Apart from the Steam integration, are there significant changes from the latest (0.6) icculus build? It's hard to tell what's been fixed. Many of the previous graphical glitches can still be seen. And while the Steam overlay works fine, achievements don't seem to register. Should I post bugs on icculus' bugzilla, or are you handling things internally now?

Please let us know if there's anything we can contribute to make this linux build as finely tuned as possible.

Thanks!

Thanks for the support! We're going to be taking bugs from here on, so please report them here. However, I'm going to work w/ DF Justin and see if we can't come up with a better way to accurately track these bugs.

As for updates, the main focus was formally releasing on Linux and patching major OSX issues like sound stutter, infinite bacon blur, crashes, etc. This one has a number of known visual bugs, but none of them are "progression blockers" AFAIK.

I loaded up the Steam version and ran around the bunkhouse area without any issues. Then I went and dug out my old Logitech Dual Action gamepad and it worked right out of the box without any configuration. Thanks so much to you guys for sticking with this port and continuing to support it!

It works about as well as I would expect on my little netbook - not very well. I get it to run with all the pretty visuals turned off at 640x480, but it stutters horribly. I might have to have my three year old "accidentally" break this old thing so I can get a newer machine :cheese: . I have yet to test any Source engine games in Ubuntu, but I *can* run Half-Life 2 and Portal reasonably well on my Windows partition, which surprised me.

As a PC user i'm not really affected, but i'd like to express my appreciation for still supporting and patching "older" games like Psychonauts. Sadly it makes a company stand out positively these days, though it SHOULD be normal to patch titles if needed.

I'm going to shoot an email across, but just in case it gets lost, Psychonauts for Linux on Steam doesn't have an icon for the desktop shortcut it creats when right clicking on the game name in the Steam library and selected "Create Desktop Shortcut" (a shortcut is still created, but it uses the Steam icon as a fallback).

Thanks for the support! We're going to be taking bugs from here on, so please report them here. However, I'm going to work w/ DF Justin and see if we can't come up with a better way to accurately track these bugs.

As for updates, the main focus was formally releasing on Linux and patching major OSX issues like sound stutter, infinite bacon blur, crashes, etc. This one has a number of known visual bugs, but none of them are "progression blockers" AFAIK.

That sounds great. For some reason, testing builds under linux always seems harder to streamline with the whole QA process. (e.g. I'm still patiently waiting for The Cave to show up on my steam client ;) So having a publicly available bug tracker (or somewhere else) where we could contribute seems like a good idea.

Meanwhile, I've sent you an email with a short list of glitches I've noticed. Right now, the invisible shadows are the most annoying glitch as it makes some jumps more difficult to perform.

That sounds great. For some reason, testing builds under linux always seems harder to streamline with the whole QA process. (e.g. I'm still patiently waiting for The Cave to show up on my steam client ;) So having a publicly available bug tracker (or somewhere else) where we could contribute seems like a good idea.

Meanwhile, I've sent you an email with a short list of glitches I've noticed. Right now, the invisible shadows are the most annoying glitch as it makes some jumps more difficult to perform.

We're working on a public facing database, just still in the planning phase for it. Once we figure out all the details, I'll post in the various areas for it.

I've found a progression blocking bug. I can't start target practice. The game crashes just before the video when Agent Nein pulls you into his mind plays. I've attached the terminal output.

We're working on a public facing database, just still in the planning phase for it. Once we figure out all the details, I'll post in the various areas for it.

Awesome, good to hear! Are you planning to use/copy your existing internal tracking system, or put an externally developed tracker in place?

What about hib 5 ? We got an update (0.6) at the beginning of the year that fixes most of the issues described here, is it the same or is a new build about to appear on the humblebundle website too ? There still are a few bugs but I'd like to know if I have tested the last version before reporting them.

Hi, thanks for releasing a linux version! It's the first time I play Psychonauts and I love it! Also, the performance is excellent, it works with my dual monitor setup and my Logitech Dual Action gamepad worked out of the box! (only had to adjust the axis for looking up and down)

One thing I noticed after playing some time: the music seems to hickup after, like, a minute or sometimes 2 mins (or more??) but it doesn't stutter the rest of the game, so it doesn't really bother me.

Oh, and the steam achievements don't work, but I guess you know that.. Are there any plans for steam integration on linux? would love that

I've found a progression blocking bug. I can't start target practice. The game crashes just before the video when Agent Nein pulls you into his mind plays. I've attached the terminal output.

Not seeing anything attached, could you send it in to the support email address? Also, has anyone else encountered this?

Awesome, good to hear! Are you planning to use/copy your existing internal tracking system, or put an externally developed tracker in place?

Same type of system, but the databases will be different so that there's no 'oh whoops I forgot the public reads this' situations.

What about hib 5 ? We got an update (0.6) at the beginning of the year that fixes most of the issues described here, is it the same or is a new build about to appear on the humblebundle website too ? There still are a few bugs but I'd like to know if I have tested the last version before reporting them.

Yup! The HiB versions are already updated with the patches and we'll continue to update them as well.