Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cheeseness

DF Game Club: The Cave!!! (With Ron Gilbert!!!)

37 posts in this topic

DOUBLE FINE GAME CLUB: THE CAVE (starting 23rd Feb)

The Double Fine Game Club is a community run weekly event where interested gamers play through and come together to discuss what they do and don't like about a particular game (sort of like a book club, but for games). We usually aim to play one or two hours a week, and we normally have somebody streaming the current game so that those who don't have the game or don't feel like playing it again can still feel involved.

Discussion takes place here in the forums and on the Double Fine Game Club home page. Game Club is a very informal weekly chat, and everyone is welcome!

Previous game: Time Gentlemen Please!

Next Game: Sam & Max: Culture Shock

The_cave_video_game_cover.png

» » » CLICK HERE TO JOIN « « «

GAME CLUB SESSIONS

- 23rd February, 9:00pm UTC (click for your time zone): Interview (Archive, Transcript) and first game session (Stream 1, 2, 3) plus dev chat with Ron Gilbert (log)

- 2nd March, 9:00pm UTC (click for your time zone): Second game session (Stream 4) and general discussion plus dev chat with Ron Gilbert (log)

SPECIAL GUESTS

- Ron Gilbert (@GrumpyGamer)

ABOUT THE GAME

The Cave is a new adventure game from Monkey Island and Maniac Mansion creator Ron Gilbert, and Double Fine Productions, the award-winning studio behind Psychonauts and Brütal Legend.

Assemble your team of three from seven unlikely adventurers, each with their own unique personalities and stories, then descend into the mysterious depths to explore locations including a subterranean amusement park and a medieval castle, not to mention a fully armed and ready-to-launch nuclear tipped ICBM. The Cave awaits.

WHERE TO GET ONLINE

- Steam (Windows, Mac, Linux)

GAME CLUB INFO

- Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)

- Game Club IRC: #DFAdventure on irc.foonetic.net (use the link above if you're not sure)

- @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)

- Game Club planning thread

The game club's first Double Fine developed game! Should be very interesting. :)

Looking forward to this one as I'm enjoying The Cave a lot.

Who will be streaming? :o

Alrighty, so alphatt will be streaming this one for us (all didn't go well ^_^ ).

I'll be streaming a live chat with Ron at the beginning of the session, relaying questions from IRC, so make sure to arrive on time!

I finished my first full runthrough yesterday, and can't wait to do my next! The Linux version has a few rough edges, but I'm massively enjoying the game itself so far. Can't wait to chat with everybody about it on the weekend :)

My house is going to be at the other end of a skype chat with Ron Gilbert.

It'll be almost like he's in our living room.

I'm sorry, but I'm totally geeking out here.

Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Now I'm not sure I can make it in time, I hope so!

Something not game related but that I'd really want to know is what is Ron going to do next, Reds or work on a new game?

Ah damn, didn't realise this was on tonight, made plans to hit the pub :( Ah well I'll drink for the rest of you :P

Here's a question for Ron, even if he probably has answered it in an interview somewhere:

Has the idea for The Cave evolved over all these years or is the game we see today what you had originally envisioned?

Ah damn, didn't realise this was on tonight, made plans to hit the pub :( Ah well I'll drink for the rest of you :P

Ask the pub to show the stream. :)

Do it! :D

Ron is here, and we'll be starting soon! Come join us!

Do it! :D

Shall see what I can do... Probably be responded with "F**k off!" ;)

Nice work y'all. Good turn out this week! ^_^

Could the presence of the great and powerful Ron Gilbert have had anything to do with that, I wonder?

Nice work y'all. Good turn out this week! ^_^

Could the presence of the great and powerful Ron Gilbert have had anything to do with that, I wonder?

No, don't think that had any effect. ;)

Lightprayer, I asked your question! Ron says he likes to take a break after projects ^_^

OK, so the chat log and stream archives for both for the interview and the game session (Stream 1, Stream 2, Stream 3) are up in the first post.

We had a few technical difficulties this week, which led to the last minute or two being cut off from the end of the interview. Apologies to everybody who was watching.

Here's a quick rundown on what we covered from memory:

* The remainder of the question about how Ron felt about the Special Editions continued to talk about how these were a good thing that made the game available to people who would not have otherwise been exposed to it.

* I asked Ron if he had any new perspectives on Maniac Mansion when playing it through whilst getting ideas for The Cave. Ron talked about how he built on and improved mechanics such as multiple character control.

* I asked Ron if a special edition of Maniac Mansion would take the form of something like The Cave. Ron said that for games like Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion that they are best presented as traditional point and click games.

* Somebody in IRC asked what Ron's favourite language was. It's Objective C.

* I asked what Ron's development environment looked like. He codes in Xcode on a Macintosh.

* Somebody asked which of Ron's games was he was most proud. Ron said he is most proud of Maniac Mansion. He definitely likes Monkey island, but as his first game, MM has a special place for him.

Ron's definitely more eloquent than me, so if he's able to attend next week (he said he'd try), we can ask him these questions again :)

Oh man, so bummed I missed this! Will definitely check out the recorded interview though!

Fortunately, I got 100% on the Steam achievements. Really interested in behind the scenes commentary he can add about the game- things like artistic decisions, and specifically the whole 7 sins for each of the characters idea.

meant to be a part of this one, but due to the vagaries of my current issues trying to achieve a better sleep cycle, I missed it :/ this is the one I was most psyched about tbh. hopefully I'll make the next. any plans to show some love to the EST participants, i.e. making it later in the evening, after supper (some folks like me have early suppers sometimes. but then folks like me are eating at all hours of the night, with pepsi and crappy oven pizza by the bedside. Ayuh.)

and good Jesus weeping in his Magical Cave of Biblical Wonders, March 2nd? I canna hold it any longer, Captain Cheese. Fire the phazers at Ron's Intergalactic Voodoo Pirate ship (part of the new - or old depending what side of 1992 your fandom originates in - 'or you Monkey Back' line of starship).

"Fire all cannons on the GeorgeDestroyer!" "But sir, Disney has taken the helm!" "JUST FIRE THE DAMN CANNONS GUYBRUSH!"

Lightprayer, I asked your question! Ron says he likes to take a break after projects ^_^

OK, so the chat log and stream archives for both for the interview and the game session (Stream 1, Stream 2, Stream 3) are up in the first post.

Woah thanks!!! I'll also check out the archives, thanks for your work!

Woah thanks!!! I'll also check out the archives, thanks for your work!

No worries! I can't speak for the others, but I definitely find being involved with Game Club to be a pleasure ^_^

Many thanks to Ron for stopping by and Cheeseness for the interview! ... think we managed to ask a few questions that Ron hadn't answered before :)

Great job!

For anybody who wants to go back over stuff without having to listen to the whole interview again, I spent the last few nights transcribing (a woeful task that I'm glad I don't do very often). For your enjoyment, here's a text version of the interview, complete with time indexes and reference links!

Is everybody excited for our second session of The Cave?