Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Chris Remo

Episode 8: "Adventure Games Are Not Dead"

303 posts in this topic

Greetings, backers!

We know it's been longer than usual since the last episode, but the wait is finally over and we don't think it will disappoint.

It's been really busy around here lately, with multiple games shipping in the last couple months, and preparations ongoing for events like PAX East and GDC. The game has been ramping up and the team size has continued to increase, and we're finally starting our PR campaign for the game--so far, there's actually not been much public non-backer information released about the game at all. The first real trailer is in the works now.

Plus, we finally showed Reds off to the rest of the studio! Having the game get far enough along that it could actually be played by non-team members was a big milestone. You'll see all this and more in Episode 8: "Adventure Games Are Not Dead."

[vimeo]61276670[/vimeo]

PAX EAST

We're going to be at PAX East! Several of us will be hanging around the booth during the weekend, accompanied by some intrepid fan volunteers, and Tim will have daily signing sessions.

Here's a heads up about our main events:

- Panel: The Double Fine Adventure Adventure! (Sunday, 11:30am, Merman Theatre)

- Fan Meetup Bonanza: Time and location not yet nailed down, but we're shooting for Saturday evening. Keep an eye on our website (http://www.doublefine.com/) or Twitter (http://www.twitter.com/doublefine) for details as the show approaches!

AMNESIA FORTNIGHT

If you own the Amnesia Fortnight bundle, we thought you'd like to know that 2 Player Productions has uploaded the final wrap-up, Episode 11. You can find it at your own personal Amnesia Fortnight content page on Humble Bundle. Your link will be at the bottom of this page: https://www.humblebundle.com/home

You can still buy the bundle in digital form or as an upcoming boxed set here: http://www.doublefine.com/fortnight

BRÜTAL LEGEND PC

Ever since Brütal Legend was released, fans have been asking for a PC release. We're glad we were able to finally oblige! The game is now live on Steam: http://www.doublefine.com/brutallegend/

THE CAVE IN THE DF GAME CLUB

Recently, the community-run Double Fine Game Club played its first Double Fine-developed game: The Cave! Better yet, Ron Gilbert joined in on several of the livestream sessions! You can check out those archived videos and learn more about the DF Game Club here: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8710/

And if you don't have The Cave, well, it's available for PC, Mac, and Linux as a single Steam purchase! http://store.steampowered.com/app/221810/

It's also on the Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network, and Wii U download stores!

SLACKER BACKERS

If you have friends who want to get in on the game updates and documentary, point them over to our Slacker Backer form. Everyone should have a chance at adventure! http://www.doublefine.com/dfapay

That's it for now! 2 Player is back on their regular documentary schedule now, so look forward to more episodes coming soon!

EPISODE NOTES

1:35 - 4 of the 5 prototypes developed during Double Fine's annual game jam were created and led by Reds team members (Lee Petty, Brandon Dillon, JP LeBreton, and Levi Ryken). To learn more about the Amnesia Fortnight project, see 2 Player Productions' 5-hour documentary series, and play the prototypes, visit: http://www.doublefine.com/fortnight/

5:49 - Prior to working at Double Fine, Matt produced “Puzzle Agent” and the “Tales of Monkey Island” series at Telltale Games, an independent studio founded by former LucasArts employees.

7:38 - Double Fine's office assistants had everyone at the studio put on these glowing wristbands as a nod to the Time Traveler character in "The Cave"

9:23 - Long before any voice actors are cast, various employees of Double Fine are brought in to record "scratch" for the Reds team to use as placeholders while they test out dialogue systems and rough out animations, among other things.

10:50 - Contrary to what one might assume, different teams within the studio are (usually) only broadly aware of how the other teams' games are coming along. The documentary series has given everyone at the company as much of an insight into Reds' development has it has given the Backers.

12:37 - Another link in the chain connecting Reds team members to the Lucas universe: Lydia Choy previously worked as a digital artist on Star Wars: Episode III.

13:32 - Lee Petty has an extensive knowledge of the original PlayStation, having begun his career developing for it. http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7343/

14:08 - If you go back to 10:21 mark in Episode 4, you can see one of Bagel's earliest paintings of what would eventually become the mother character shown here. http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/7456/

19:10 - The juice diet Tim is following was inspired by the program depicted in the film "Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead." You can watch the whole thing for free on Hulu:

20:36 - The shaving of Tim’s beard was live streamed to over 700 viewers. Kotaku’s coverage of the event includes a short excerpt from the end of the stream. Ren & Stimpy fans will appreciate Tim’s choice reference. http://kotaku.com/5979242/tim-schafer-creator-of-psychonauts-shaves-his-beard

22:24 - For more advice on muscle cars and BFG9000s, you can follow John and Brenda on Twitter at @romero and @br.

23:54 - An excerpt from Tim’s email to us regarding this shot: “John Romero's hair blowing in slow motion is more beautiful than any Swedish Fjord! Career highlight for you guys, right there. I'm thinking new business cards!”

26:13 - Everyone knows that bananas are flammable.

bananastand.png

I'm too excited to watch it. I'm going to save it for tomorrow afternoon... Thanks DF and 2PP!

Smiles

Might just be a bit of overload, but I'm having trouble loading more than the first 10 seconds or so of the doc. It gets there, then seems to skip to the end.

It skips with me too. But I get further and further each time I reload. Maybe it is still loading...

Aaaah, finally. I was just stopping by to see if anything had happened and discovered this post, posted 3 min ago. That's what I call good fortune *smiles*

Well worth the wait! Good to see that John Romero still has that magical hair.

Best episode so far... The art is starting to look really gorgeous! And it's really interesting to see DF's feedback process.

I'm very excited to see everything that's been happening! Just have to get through this work day first...

Great episode! The game is looking fantastic, and I can't wait to play.

Fun episode. I was really hoping we'd get some kind of update (even a vague one) about the expected release date, though. It seems like they're staffing up and cutting the scope down a little so I'm hoping that means the release won't be too far behind what they were shooting for.

Fun episode. I was really hoping we'd get some kind of update (even a vague one) about the expected release date, though. It seems like they're staffing up and cutting the scope down a little so I'm hoping that means the release won't be too far behind what they were shooting for.

We're steering clear of setting a new release date at this point. We just don't want to be in a situation again where we give a date and have to push it back. We'd rather just put the needs of the game first, to the extent the resources allow.

We're steering clear of setting a new release date at this point. We just don't want to be in a situation again where we give a date and have to push it back. We'd rather just put the needs of the game first, to the extent the resources allow.

Even something as broad as "Summer" or "Fall" would be nice, though. I'm really pretty fine with delays, but it would be good to have some idea what part of the year to expect it.

This episode was well worth the wait! Lots of great moments in this one, and I totally wasn't expecting that guest appearance by John Romero. Standout line in the video: "But I don't know how to shave!"

And now I go watch the Amnesia Fortnight wrapup video. Curse you all, I was planning on being productive this afternoon!

It's great seeing all the things that have gone in, the game already looks amazing!

Cannot watch it, it just says:

Sorry - The creator of this video has not given you permission to embed it on this domain. This is a Vimeo Plus feature.

Great to see Matt Hansen on the case! One of the best producers I've ever worked with!

We were on a number of projects back at Telltale including and not limited to the various Sam & Max console ports, Monkey, a few other odds and ends, and especially Puzzle Agent.

Even something as broad as "Summer" or "Fall" would be nice, though. I'm really pretty fine with delays, but it would be good to have some idea what part of the year to expect it.

Wow totally funny. I read your posts and was all like, yeah, I totally agree with what this guy is saying. Then I noticed your username and avatar. Wow, of all the people to run into here. I'm totally going to avoid telling you who I am and see if you can guess.

Anyways, great episode overall, but I agree about getting some kind of hint as to release. Hell, I'd be happy with, "We're aiming for sometime in 2013". Basically, pick the absolute latest you think it would be possible for this to release and say, "No later than XX/XX/XXXX".

Loving the art though. Although, one thing I'm wondering. So far we've kind of focused entirely on Cloud Colony and Space Ship, and yet they're regularly referred to as some of the levels. As in, I'm assuming there are more. What has me kind of worried is, since we haven't really seen anything else, are those being held back to keep something as a surprise? Or has work not begun on those yet? OR am I misinterpreting and those are pretty much what we should expect from the game as a whole?

Amazing episode! Nice feel-good one, first one in a while. Very excited about the progress of the game, super stoked to see the new designs and areas. Or let's say I have mixed feelings about that, super excited, but still afraid it's going to spoil something. Luckily we don't really see any of the awesome writing, all that will be a surprise, once we get to play the damn thing, when is that going to be again?!

The Tim's car SIDEQUEST was funny but how did it end up in the middle of a regular episode?

I'm glad the team is bigger and responsibility isn't being hung round just a few peoples necks. Loving the focus of the art team in moving towards a more emotive/immersive style and hope that SlackerBacker will appear on steam soon (even though steam will eat 30% I think the extra pre-order revenue would be quite large when compared to people that go directly to your site) if cash/budget is still in shortfall.

Any news on which AF game made the cut through to production? (Please say Black Lake/White Birch)

P.S. Any chance of Ron doing a writing review with Tim now that the cave has shipped or is his hourly rate to expensive?

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0