Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Greg

Production Update #5: A Production Update!

81 posts in this topic

Hey guys, really sorry that things have been a bit quiet on the forums recently. I’ll take the blame for that! Things have just been super busy over here. I’ve wanted to keep the team focused on a few big milestones, and I’ve just been heads down dealing with the AF/Cave/Brutal releases, Dropchord announce, and getting set up for a ton of fun stuff at PAX and GDC we’re about to announce. I’ve finally found some time to come up and breathe though, so let's take some time to fill you guys in!

You're probably wondering what exactly has been happening since the beginning of the year. The answer is A LOT, as you may have noticed in episode 8 (link)! If not, SORRY SPOILERS!! A lot of that episode focused on the company wide play test session we did in early February. Much of January was spent working on the build to prepare for that, which resulted in a Cloud Colony that qualifies as what we're calling an "Alpha Plus" level of quality. It's not full on beta because cutscene animations and audio aren't locked down since final VO has not been recorded. However, art, VFX, programming, writing, and design in the Cloud Colony are of a shippable quality!

After the HOF we moved the majority of the team's focus away from Cloud Colony to the beginning of Space Boy's story. We took a section of his story that is similar in size and scope to the Cloud Colony all the way to Alpha. Meanwhile, a handful of folks moved ahead to pre-production work on both Space Boy's second section of the game and Sacrifice Girl's opening section leading up to the Cloud Colony. More and more people are now rolling onto these sections and they will become the focus of our next sprint. Here's a quick look at where we stand with all of the characters and environments that we're currently focusing on:

production5_checklist.gif

(Note: each line is a different character or environment, but the names of each have been removed. Also, there are more characters and environments in the game than this, these are just the ones we're focusing on for now)

Tim continues to flesh out design and write dialog for areas that are ready for it. As for programming, our core development tools are now complete, which has really sped up the game's production. We've also hit a major technical milestone, the programming team now has the game running on all our targeted devices!

production5_desk.jpg

(Not an uncommon site at Oliver's desk)

So that's pretty much where we are as of now! As for what to expect this month, I'd say expect to be hearing a lot more from us. As I said, we've got big plans for PAX and GDC. These events mark the start of a more traditional PR campaign for the game. So you can expect to see us talking about the game more openly in the public with things like name reveals, screenshots, trailers, and even previews from press on the game over the next few months. Don't worry, we'll still be giving you all the juicy details in here. And hopefully all that PR will bring mroe new friends in here. FUUUUUUN STUFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's OK. Take your time. We all love you <3

Thanks for the update, Greg! ... did Dischord just become Dropchord?

Let's just forget that ever happened.

Ha ha, is there a story there that we might hear someday?

Hey Greg,

I am a PM as well; mostly on large MM corporate projects. A lot of focus, in relation to DFA, is on creative. But I would love a section on your take on PM / PMO activities at DF. Project management is essential, but not as sexy as art, story or code. Any chance you can share the love from a PM side of things? How do you cope with scope creep, budgets, scheduling, sprints, methodologies? Waterfail (yeah, I said it; I just made that up, too) versus Agile. etc. Shine, brother! Tell us your adventure story! Business/Marketing/Publisher relation perspectives would also be gold. But, of course, only if you want to. I would love to hear about things from your perspective, sir.

With deepest admiration and respect,

Jason, CSM

Cheers for this update! It's actually very very much appreciated even if it doesn't say a whole lot!

What happened?

Hey Greg,

I am a PM as well; mostly on large MM corporate projects. A lot of focus, in relation to DFA, is on creative. But I would love a section on your take on PM / PMO activities at DF. Project management is essential, but not as sexy as art, story or code. Any chance you can share the love from a PM side of things? How do you cope with scope creep, budgets, scheduling, sprints, methodologies? Waterfail (yeah, I said it; I just made that up, too) versus Agile. etc. Shine, brother! Tell us your adventure story! Business/Marketing/Publisher relation perspectives would also be gold. But, of course, only if you want to. I would love to hear about things from your perspective, sir.

With deepest admiration and respect,

Jason, CSM

Yes please.

Thanks Greg! Really appreciate (and looking forward) to this

I nominate Greg for cloning. To help ease the burden.

Smiles

Thanks Greg!

REALLY looking forward to the news! It's easy to see from the last episode that you guys have been busy.

Hopefully things will level out and you'll have an easier time staying on top of everything.

Hey guys, really sorry that things have been a bit quiet on the forums recently. I'll take the blame for that! Things have just been super busy over here. I've wanted to keep the team focused on a few big milestones, and I've just been heads down dealing with the AF/Cave/Brutal releases, Dropchord announce, and getting set up for a ton of fun stuff at PAX and GDC we're about to announce. But I've finally found some time to come up and breathe. I'm going to sit down tomorrow to write up a recap what's happened on the project in the new year as well as what to expect in the next month or so. A TON OF FUN INFO INCOMING, I PROMISE!!!

How dare you focus on work!

Nothing good ever comes of it, ask my boss he'll tell you ;)

Nice to hear!

Wonder if Tim will write another update on writing and stuff. Or maybe a recipe of his vegetable juice! ;-)

Nice to hear!

Wonder if Tim will write another update on writing and stuff. Or maybe a recipe of his vegetable juice! ;-)

Probably eventually! But right now he's so busy writing that he doesn't have the time for writing about writing!

Hey guys, really sorry that things have been a bit quiet on the forums recently. I'll take the blame for that! Things have just been super busy over here. I've wanted to keep the team focused on a few big milestones, and I've just been heads down dealing with the AF/Cave/Brutal releases, Dropchord announce, and getting set up for a ton of fun stuff at PAX and GDC we're about to announce. But I've finally found some time to come up and breathe. I'm going to sit down tomorrow to write up a recap what's happened on the project in the new year as well as what to expect in the next month or so. A TON OF FUN INFO INCOMING, I PROMISE!!!

How dare you focus on work!

Nothing good ever comes of it, ask my boss he'll tell you ;)

Lol! That was exactly my problem with all the people screaming about updates. I could understand them being upset, but it seemed like they wanted DF to focus more on updates than actually getting any work done. Anyway, it seems to have died down for now.

Your chart hurts my eyes. But, I think, maybe in a good way.

Smiles

Thanks Greg! Definitely looking forward to pouring over this tomorrow :)

It is so awesome to see this game moving forward... not to mention I can't wait to play it on like 4 or 5 of the devices mentioned...

I got a question regarding programming (and didn't want to start a new thread for that): So the game will come out on different platforms. I think, some months ago, I asked what language the game was written in and I think the answer was C++. Now, when you have the game released on Android, for example, then you have to use Java.

So what I would like to know is: How do you port the game? Do you have to "rewrite" the game for every platform as it uses a different language?

Because I find it very interesting that sometimes, ports (especially for PC) take a long long time and I always wonder why.

I got a question regarding programming (and didn't want to start a new thread for that): So the game will come out on different platforms. I think, some months ago, I asked what language the game was written in and I think the answer was C++. Now, when you have the game released on Android, for example, then you have to use Java.

So what I would like to know is: How do you port the game? Do you have to "rewrite" the game for every platform as it uses a different language?

Because I find it very interesting that sometimes, ports (especially for PC) take a long long time and I always wonder why.

Its written on the moai engine it has most of the game you create in lua. So the only thing you need to do is maintain the host so all the extra functions they add work on all the platform. And the lua functions that are used are working correctly and the same on each platform.

Well done, Reds Team!

Also, I'm glad to see there are others here like me who want DF to take their time in making this as good as it can be. As Episode 8 pointed out, it's always harder to develop the game engine at the same time you make the game. And the better the engine is, the easier it will be to build, and thus have more content and a better game at the end as well.

I think, some months ago, I asked what language the game was written in and I think the answer was C++. Now, when you have the game released on Android, for example, then you have to use Java.

Andoid supports compiling down to native as well. It's just a bit more complicated as you have to compile to all the different instruction sets used on different Andoid devices. iOS has the same problem (arm6 vs arm7), but the variation in hardware is obviously smaller. Usually this is all abstracted away by the tools you use, but it does complicate testing and debugging a lot.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0