Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim Schafer

Writing Update#4: Potential Reds Names Incoming! (Edit: Broken Age wins!)

1,068 posts in this topic

Hello, Backers of Adventure!

Just a quick check to see if you like any of the names we’re coming up with for Reds.

“Reds” is just a code name and it’s time to put a real name on this thing. We’ve got a list of favorites but we’ve been staring at them for so long the letters are all spinning in our heads. Or is that the room? Anyway, here’s some background on the game for you to consider.

The game codenamed “Reds” is a story about a boy and a girl in separate, somewhat parallel stories. Both of them are questioning the lives prescribed for them by their parents and societies. The girl lives in a simple country village where she has been chosen to be sacrificed to a horrific monster to save her town. The boy lives alone on a vast spaceship where his every need is cared for and his every moment is planned by an overly-controlling computer. The girl decides to fight the monster, and the boy decides to hack the ships controls and go on real adventures. After they take these steps to break with tradition and change their futures, they find out that with that power comes the possibility of hurting those they love.

Other facts:

The boy and girl are about 14 years old.

There is a giant ravine that separates the land where the girl lives from the land the monsters come from.

*******UPDATE!!!

All right backers, we have some results. The two most popular names from the original poll are Broken Age and Small Offerings (Broken Age was #1). But there were also some popular suggestions from this thread: The Divide and World’s Apart. So we wanted to have a new poll just between those four options.

Check it out!

Reds Name Survey Take 2!

EDIT: The name of the game is Broken Age! We did it! Wooooo!

Frustratingly The Cut is easily the best one, but it's also too close to The Cave to not remind me instantly of it.

Frustratingly The Cut is easily the best one, but it's also too close to The Cave to not remind me instantly of it.

Okay, now my favorite name is "Frustratingly The Cut."

I like the ideas of Age, Broken, and Monsters, but none of the suggestions resonated with me, so I offered my own: Broken Monsters.

Agreed on liking "The Cut" best, but it being so similar to The Cave.

The one I liked the least is Young Monsters, perhaps for instantly making me think of "Little Monsters". Ergh D:

None of them really jumped out at me... but I am also TERRIBLE at naming things. So I'm sure whatever you guys pick will be far better than anything I could come up with.

None of the names sounded any good to me. Pinning it down to monsters is only one side of the story when the focus is about breaking traditions so maybe something around that would be better.

I voted for "Small Offerings", but it was really close between that and "None of the above". I think there's a name for this game that really resonates, but I don't think you've found it yet.

Ended up submitting my own one. The Parallel Lives Of 'BOY' and 'GIRL'. I dunno... I thought it sounded like a fun sci-fi special.

Gut reaction is that I don't like any of them, sorry Tim. But sadly this is a completely uninformed opinion!

I'm still not sure what the game is about so I can't make a great suggestion. I know the plot synopsis you posted, but I'd kind of want to know the whole story. You've got a "Romeo and Juliet" styled star crossed lovers thing, seems like Fate is large theme... perhaps something that makes a nod to that? What about just the names of the two protagonists "X and Y" (Then you have to figure out who gets top billing :( )

I'm just guessing though b/c you never talk about what you are trying to do with the story or what your intent is. Both of those things are SUPER INTERESTING btw and I would love to hear your answers!

Phew, this is a tough one. I have to say I'm not in love with any of them, but I'm thinking maybe that is because I just don't know the stories enough to really understand them. But none of them immediately grab me at the moment. I think I'ma sleep on this and see if maybe I can come up with something of my own, too.

Okay, now my favorite name is "Frustratingly The Cut."

Clearly the name should be "The Frustrating Cut".

Then you can be all indie like The Stanley Parable guy.

Kind of agree “None of the above” really resonates with me...

I'd prefer a second round of possible titles...

Oh, and based on the game's description, I submitted the title:

'Standing Fall'

Fingers crossed... ;)

I had 3 ideas for DFA's title: Playbox History, Synchrostory, and Synchrosaga. I don't know if anyone likes them though.

My submission is The Divide. Hope this helps or creates some inspiration. All in all I want this game to have a fitting title. Good luck Tim!

I like the ideas of Age, Broken, and Monsters, but none of the suggestions resonated with me, so I offered my own: Broken Monsters.

I'm actually digging this. I'll enter it in the field too, since none of the names resonated with me either. Naming things is so hard though...

My submission is The Divide. Hope this helps or creates some inspiration. All in all I want this game to have a fitting title. Good luck Tim!

I like this too.

+1 for The Cut.

although it remember me The Dig more than The Cave.

I really like The Divide.

So I decided to submit my own and went with Broken Bounds. The reason behind this, is that both characters are bound by their traditions and they decide to change their fates and break away from this.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0