Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Brian Min

Audio Update 1: Photos of the first session with composer Peter McConnell

43 posts in this topic

Hello backers!

You can accomplish a lot these days with tools and sampling technology. But when you hear real instruments being performed by real players, you’re reminded once again that music and emotion as has always been about collaboration and communication. It’s about those unexpected performances! When we set out to score the music for Double Fine Adventure, the goal was always to bring as much human element into the game as possible.

Peter McConnell, our composer for Reds, has always championed using live players whenever possible. He has done an excellent job of balancing great live feel with being cost efficient as possible. You can tell by the way he’s chosen to write the music, using chamber-music as the basis for living recording and supplement the rest with sampled instruments.

We recently got a little taste of that as I sat in our first recording session with Peter. Here are some photos of that memorable day. (Peter is on the left in the third and fourth photos.) They're a little blurry! Turns out I'm not a professional photographer.

audio1_01.jpg

audio1_02.jpg

audio1_03.jpg

audio1_04.jpg

audio1_05.jpg

Wow! I can't thank you enough for getting Mr. McConnell on the reds project. :cheese:

Can't wait to actually hear some music. :)

Say, where is this being recorded?

Holy crap, an actual Music/Audio update, now this is what I was waiting for!

Now that's some boom holdin' technique right there. Do it with style or get back to the house.

Now that's some boom holdin' technique right there. Do it with style or get back to the house.

I guess we can expect to see some of this in the documentary then. :D

Nice to know that some live performances will be recorded for the soundtrack. Looking (hearing?) forward to it!

As Chris Remo announced on Twitter, they are also recording a composer podcast with Peter McConnell too, which should be out soon.

You also play different on more real instruments, lets say a piano (or some serious synth with character) vs. a keyboard.

Btw. where are the recordings taking place?

but..but.. it's an audio update without any audio....

I can't tell from the picture, but are they using Pro Tools, I'd assume?

Been waiting to hear what he's done since the first time he was shown on the documentary. Can't wait to hear his stuff.

Nice! Thanks for the update. I'm really looking forward to hear some more about the audio production, so I hope it will feature prominently in the next documentary episode.

It's unfortunate that the budget doesn't allow you to record everything live, but I'm sure that Peter's hybrid solution will turn out great just as well. Are you only recording the strings live? I remember there was a flute in one of the early concepts we heard in episode 5.

Also, is that the sound room you have at Double Fine HQ, or Skywalker sound?

I don't think they have such a large soundbooth at DF. But maybe they decided to invest the kickstarter money in something different...;-)

We wants the soundz!

A sidequest about the audio would be best.

Peter McConnell hovers ominously over the nervous engineers. In his hand, the metal water bottle/striking baton filled with lead, regret, and the tears of suffering performers. At his back, his hoodied minions, recently returned from dragging away the body of a PA who had brought coffee not quite hot enough to slake his Peter's thirst for the wailing Demon Music from the recording studio beyond... "Sunshine Puppies".

Lol, for reals, though, in some of the pictures it looks like he's got his fist stuck in that dude's head behind him.

The photos are so blurry that it could be Walter White sitting there not Peter ;)

A wee sneak peak of music would be awesome, though it looks like its gonna be in the documentary so I can wait! :D

How about some audio in the audio update?

If you listen carefully you'll be able to hear it, try it now

3, 2, 1, go!

Is it just me that fines it funny that the first audio update is mostly pictorial!

I expect the next art update as a podcast.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0