Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim Schafer

Broken Age sneaks into a Twitter commercial!

27 posts in this topic

Twitter approached us and said hey, want to be in our commercial?

Not sure why. I assume because of my amazing VINE skills.

Anyway, we said yes. Seemed like a good opportunity to sneak some Broken Age out into the world.

Get ready for your close up, Spaceship Boy!

BGirUZq1WtQ

Twitter needs commercials? Is stuck on anything from a toaster to a pair of shoes these days, and even geese know about it.

Seriously, any business that’s not taking advantage of twitter right now should get rid of its abacus too before singing up.

But this is a good plug for the game, I’m not sure if you can tell if it is a game or a cartoon by the little you see, but it may encourage people to look it up.

After checking this Vine out I've spent far too much time watching pointless random videos such as this man's

My need to procrastinate thanks you, my productivity... not so much! :P

Back to the clip, is that clip you show off the in-game version of what Majus was making an animatic for in the documentary?

Was filming that clip kind of awkward? I always feel like that stuff is awkward, where they're like, "Okay, just act like you naturally would while working." And then you don't know what to do so you just bang on a keyboard or point at things. Maybe mouth some words like, "La dee da this is totally what I look like at work, and narwhals are awesome."

Spaceship boy didn't seem like he was happy to be in the commercial. ;)

Thanks for sharing!

Space Boy doesn't seem happy to do anything, quite frankly. Seriously, you live in a freaking spaceship! Do you know how rad that is?!

Space Boy doesn't seem happy to do anything, quite frankly. Seriously, you live in a freaking spaceship! Do you know how rad that is?!

Maybe he's tired of always eating Cinna Moons.

How much of the money for this exclusive 5 seconds of footage goes towards the development of Broken Age?

Nice, you finished the SB wake up animation! (well, at least 6 seconds of those as far as we know)

Unrelated question, do you guys intend to sell that nifty DF phone cover or perhaps even game based variations of it?

Its like a blast to the past. The new Tim Schafer is like a younger version from the past :D

Twitter must be impressed with those fun vines you keep posting Tim.

Was filming that clip kind of awkward? I always feel like that stuff is awkward, where they're like, "Okay, just act like you naturally would while working." And then you don't know what to do so you just bang on a keyboard or point at things. Maybe mouth some words like, "La dee da this is totally what I look like at work, and narwhals are awesome."

Suuuuper awkward. And believe it or not, it took TWO HOURS. I was sitting at Ray's desk, with Lee. But it took so long Lee had to go home and so Levi sat in. But you can see two hours of love in that shot, right?

I think we can agree that my acting is amazing.

Unrelated question, do you guys intend to sell that nifty DF phone cover or perhaps even game based variations of it?

My sister (and voice of Nurse Edna) made that for my birthday. She used these guys: http://www.gelaskins.com/

My sister (and voice of Nurse Edna) made that for my birthday. She used these guys: http://www.gelaskins.com/

Wow, this looks awesome, they offer non-phone devices as well.

Imagine getting an official Broken Age cover for your device along with the game, something beyond a desktop wallpaper.

They have an affiliate program, where the affiliates get 10% of the revenue, it's not bad, but not that huge, so perhaps Justin Bailey can get a better deal.

Suuuuper awkward. And believe it or not, it took TWO HOURS. I was sitting at Ray's desk, with Lee. But it took so long Lee had to go home and so Levi sat in. But you can see two hours of love in that shot, right?

You look quite natural Tim.

You're a natural,didn't you know that?

Every time I look at that screenshot, it takes me several seconds to figure out that's someone else's hand in the foreground. In the mean time, my brain fights with the idea that Tim has some mangled monstrosity at the end of his left arm.

You know you've made it when you can be in a commercial and you don't have to tell the audience who you are, like Sally Struthers in a charity commercial. If DF was a little less famous, they could have subtitled it "Tim Schafer, Former Intern at LucasArts". Then you could say "Hey, we have a whole COMPANY here now?". And they would say, "That's right, Tim. Thanks to Twitter. Now, smile and work those tweets for the camera. SMILE AND TWEET!"

Would have been even better if you had actually tweeted for those 2 hours. So all of twitter would be mystified by Takes 1-374 of game footage. With no explanation.

TWO HOURS?!?! I think Twitter may have been artificially extending their visit. Steven Dengler DID just make that tweet recently about how if you want to get a triangle box you have to infiltrate Double Fine and find an opportunity to steal it. Maybe it took so long because it was actually a triangle box heist.

TWO HOURS?!?! I think Twitter may have been artificially extending their visit. Steven Dengler DID just make that tweet recently about how if you want to get a triangle box you have to infiltrate Double Fine and find an opportunity to steal it. Maybe it took so long because it was actually a triangle box heist.

The thing about video shoots (and photo shoots, and interviews when you aren't the only subject of the interview) is that they ALWAYS end up spending hours grabbing ridiculous amounts of material, but then in the final thing they just choose the single best excerpt of the thing and discarding all of the other stuff. So until you sort of internalize how it works, you're sitting there during shooting being like "Wow, this is a LOT of material, I'm going to be super famous!!!!" and then you see the final result and it's four seconds and you go "Oh" and you have been punked.

The thing about video shoots (and photo shoots, and interviews when you aren't the only subject of the interview) is that they ALWAYS end up spending hours grabbing ridiculous amounts of material, but then in the final thing they just choose the single best excerpt of the thing and discarding all of the other stuff. So until you sort of internalize how it works, you're sitting there during shooting being like "Wow, this is a LOT of material, I'm going to be super famous!!!!" and then you see the final result and it's four seconds and you go "Oh" and you have been punked.

That makes sense. I used to do editing for a film crew back in school (on their editing equipment, which I think was cold war era technology), and they used to do a lot of bits where they'd go to a local spot and just set the camera up for a while so they could capture people using/visiting whatever the place was so they could later put music and voice over it. They'd usually film about thirty minutes worth of stuff. And then even if you were filming something very specific like an interview with only one question, you have to do pre-roll and post-roll, and for people who aren't used to that or what purpose it serves, it just makes things seem really drawn out and awkward. Especially post-roll. Post-roll is weird.

But I suppose if you are a big brand like Twitter and not some amateurs, you can't take your chances with only 200 short clips to choose from. What if they're all kinda meh? 800 clips increases the probability of nailing it. Juuuuuust to be sure.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0