Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DF Chris Remo

The Making of the Teaser Trailer

74 posts in this topic

Hey guys! This will be going out in an email update today, but as usual I wanted to seed it on the forums a bit earlier. Note that this is NOT the new episode--that's coming within the week. This is just a fun bonus.

Because the teaser trailer was released to the public at large (

), as a treat for our backers we decided to whip up something extra. So enjoy this look at the creation of the Broken Age teaser, featuring commentary by art director Lee Petty. It's a great look at how we create a finished trailer, starting from a rough animatic and ending up as a series of in-game scenes.

[vimeo]64086979[/vimeo]

Very cool! Thank you :) Mr. Petty has a great voice. He should do the voiceover for either the boy or the girl in the final game.

So happy to see all of this great content. Things are coming together, and I absolutely cannot wait to see a beta version! The format of this was really cool, it was nice to see a 4-up display of the various stages side-by-side, it really shows how the content solidifies into a final product.

Thanks, DF!

A little extra context on this one, it's a 1080p upload instead of the usual 720p, so you can watch it full screen and see the details of each individual scene. Apologies for the sound quality, we had to record Lee doing the walkthrough at the 2PP work station since it was a direct screen capture of Lee playing the video in the editing program. There is also a weird glitch in the capture that initially made the mouse pointer smaller and harder to see.

Bits of black you see during playback are because of the minor timing changes made to the teaser while it was developed. We opted not to retime(slowdown) early scenes to match the final teaser, they were instead cut apart and lined up with the matching scene.

Thanks for the quick walkthrough of the trailer creation.

The more volumetric look for the characters that you folks ending up with definetly does look better than the completely flat look. And that rim lighting is working great! Great way to start a day off with a Double Fine Adventure update. :)

Very interesting, thanks. Lee has a very soothing voice, great for doing a voice over like that.

The way the rim lighting works is crushing my face. So simple but so good. Man. I had no idea the lighting for the trailer was all in engine, and I'm sort of spinning around on the floor now.

A little extra context on this one, it's a 1080p upload instead of the usual 720p, so you can watch it full screen and see the details of each individual scene. Apologies for the sound quality, we had to record Lee doing the walkthrough at the 2PP work station since it was a direct screen capture of Lee playing the video in the editing program. There is also a weird glitch in the capture that initially made the mouse pointer smaller and harder to see.

Bits of black you see during playback are because of the minor timing changes made to the teaser while it was developed. We opted not to retime(slowdown) early scenes to match the final teaser, they were instead cut apart and lined up with the matching scene.

Not sure if it's a limitation of the embedded viewer, but it's only coming down at 720p and not 1080p. Any chance you could look into that? I'd love to see more detail!

Thanks for the awesome work!

Are we going to get an art update with a detailed breakdown of the rim lighting system? That would be awesome.

I'm having so much fun with all these game creation videos, and it all feels extra fresh and living knowing that it is still being made. I really can't wait to see how all this gorgeous art will come together : )

I really enjoyed this video. I know absolutely nothing of the process of making any type of videos, let alone a game trailer, so having the four different view points side by side was really interesting.

So awesome! Thanks for sharing :D

I'd like to echo Jake's surprise at the trailer being rendered via the game engine. That's astounding.

Grateful for this, was really interesting to see how it was made. I am interested as well in why those scenes were chosen, what message where you trying to sell with the teaser?

The girl character is great! Her eyes are amazing. And the way her mum is looking at her in the party shot. It's looking really good :)

Surprised we don't see far more big, expressive eyes in computer games -- worked so well in Windwaker, all those years ago, and it's pretty standard fayre for Disney's finest animations. Gives it real life.

Can't wait to see how it develops in the next full episode :)

I very much enjoyed it Lee! Such a suprise to see this! Thanks Double Fine, for the stream of information coming in! I was excited before, but now it knows no bounds! Bring it on!

Characters with those Rim-Lighting look really fantastic, would really love to see more about how you guys achieved that

I really love that you guys are sharing all this great making-of stuff, as we say here in Kuwait (Alaa Raasi!)

Lovely stuff. The game is really getting a great 'painterly' look to it now. Fantastic!

The art is nice and all but I'm not gonna lie, I would have rather seen this game feel retro ish/pixilated. Gemini Rue for example is a new game using an old engine that "feels right".

The art is nice and all but I'm not gonna lie, I would have rather seen this game feel retro ish/pixilated. Gemini Rue for example is a new game using an old engine that "feels right".
Sorry but only reason that time it was pixelated was because of computer power. Now it is a way to save money because you don't need to make high rez textures.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0