I was reading the Programming Update #2 and there was a quote from DF Nathan talking about Linux support.
It's not there yet, but it's not so far away, either. We definitely considered this in the evaluation. Many of the sub-systems already work on Linux or can be made to work with pretty little effort. The main challenge will actually be determining how to support the one-zillion-and-three different distro of Linux. Do we just release all the source? Do we just do precompiled binaries for the most popular distro? All that is still very TBD. Fortunately, we don't have to figure that out for a while yet.
In short, no, it doesn't change our plans for DFA Linux at all, and we will definitely contribute work to the Linux port as appropriate.
This got me to thinking. What is reasonable to expect for Linux support. So I decided to write out what I think would be the best way to support Linux and hopefully others can give there opinion as well
I think it would be best to limit officially supported distro to probably 3 or 4 at most. If I were the developer I think I would choose Fedora, OpenSuse and Ubuntu. If you make a deb and rpm to cover these and a unsupported tar.gz for everyone else I think everyone should find something for their system. If you officially support these 3 that also means you probably have covered Mint, Debian(if you have the right drivers), Mageia, CentOS, and PCLinuxOS. So out of the top 10 distro at DistroWatch the only ones left out would be Arch Linux and Puppy LInux. I use Arch linux for my work and home computer, so I'd love to see Arch officially supported but I also feel sure that if a tar.gz version is released someone will make an Arch package within hours. That only leaves Puppy and while I love Puppy Linux and use it a lot at work, I can't imagine anyone using it for games.
That just leaves driver issues. Intel has open sourced their drivers, but as of now Nvidia and AMD only have proprietary drivers available. I think its reasonable only to support the official drivers for the graphics card your using. One of the reasons I didn't list Debian as an officially supported distro is because there is no easy way to install proprietary drivers.
I really don't think officialy supporting 3 distro is as drastic as it sounds. So many distro are releated in one way or another to these three( four is you inclued arch;) that you will end up releasing a binaries that can be used by 90% of the linux users out there. With the tar.gz you will probably cover the other 10%.
Just my thoughts. I'd be very interested in any other Linux users opinions on the matter.