Sign in to follow this  
Darth Marsden

YouTube sucks. Like, for reals now.

Actually, what has happened is that the more aggressive influx from the past few months has been dumped on the channels all at once. They were warned about it months ago and it was up to the channels to let their partners know it was coming. You can find 2 long winded explanations from

this man.

They are now just as liable for their uploaded content as the rest of us. While I disagree with a lot of it and especially with Nintendo hiding behind their threat of legal issues without merit, I do like that the playing field has been levelled. Nothing has been changed for you, Chris. Machinima colleagues were just brought down to your level.

Edit:

He also has another video where he thoroughly explains the flagging, claims, appeal processes from a large content creator perspective that should be somewhat attached to that video.

It gets even better. A good chunk of the publishers have stated that they did NOT consent to youtube's claims and youtube just started claiming.ttp://www.ign.com/articles/2013/12/11/is-nintendo-claiming-copyright-on-youtube-videos-again

Devolver Digital had videos of theirs removed for copyright claims.

Devolver Digital. You know, those guys who started this website: http://canipostandmonetizevideosofdevolvergames.com/ ?

Yeah, Youtube started claiming on their behalf.

That's how it works. These claims are not made by people. People from Sony don't surf youtube to find their music. Companies submit properties and Google's own program finds videos that it feels infringe. Companies ARE responsible for the actual removal though but these sweeps DO seem to have been done by Google itself. There are a lot of instances of videos flagged by companies who are okay with it, companies that had nothing to do with it, multiple companies that have nothing to do with it... It just goes on.

The Google software isn't perfect and a lot of larger Youtube contributors that have multiple flags on a single video or inappropriate flags, are just leaving them pend as it is up to the company to proceed or not. Everything else in countered as fair-use. There isn't a major issue yet as these flags are not removing videos themselves. The one exception is Nintendo. It was mentioned in one of the videos that Nintendo seems to have some auto-approve setting to their claims. So beware there, if you get flagged by them, you'll probably lose your video.

Edit:

Here's an EXTREMELY long discussion about the recent Youtube events featuring Sessler, TotalBiscuit, Fraser, JP, developers, publishers.

I'm still annoyed with YouTube for imposing load limits on all videos. It used to be that you could just start a video, pause it, go make a sandwich while the entire video loaded, then come back and watch it. But now it will only load a certain % of the video ahead of the current frame. Depending on the channel/connection, this often obligates you to watch a video that stops and starts every couple of seconds. Gone are the days when you could solve that problem by just waiting for the whole thing to load. Now you are forced to watch it in tard mode. It also f**ks up your ability to skip around in the video. It used to be that if the whole thing was loaded, you could click anywhere in the progress bar to skip around the video, and it would work just fine, just like on your native media player. Now if you skip around the progress bar, the player seems to dump all loaded video and start loading again from scratch at the point you specified, which seems ridiculous, because THE VIDEO WAS ALREADY LOADED.

And since Google owns the internet, this trend is spreading everywhere. I'm sure it saves resources or whatever, but christ is it annoying.

Actually not sure if this is Google's fault or Flash's fault.

I STILL HATE IT.

The Google software isn't perfect and a lot of larger Youtube contributors that have multiple flags on a single video or inappropriate flags, are just leaving them pend as it is up to the company to proceed or not.

But youtube should not be using broken software when people's jobs are on the line. Angry Joe reportedly lost 62 videos from this software despite the majority of his videos being reviews which is protected by fair use.

There isn't a major issue yet as these flags are not removing videos themselves.

But that still restricts video monitization. Yeah this doesn't hurt people that just post gaming videos for the heck of it, but it does hurt the people that use youtube as their job.

The one exception is Nintendo. It was mentioned in one of the videos that Nintendo seems to have some auto-approve setting to their claims. So beware there, if you get flagged by them, you'll probably lose your video.

Nintendo have stated that they do not plan to take down videos anytime soon, they just flag for monitization

Yeah I don't know what they are doing there...

Sorry, I was wrong about Nintendo. I listened and read a lot about this and mixed it up with something. Nintendo will renew their claim after the 30 days indefinitely and ultimately likes to place their own ads on your videos. You would be making them money instead and dealing with a whole lot of claims constantly.

One of the most stupid things about this is how easily it can be abused and how almost anyone can attempt to content claim their videos

Nerdcubed has had 4 content claims do far none from any owners of the copyright with some Spanish news site claiming his Olympic games video and someone claiming a video which was literally a black screen with his logo on it...

This going to be abused so much and no one is going to be able to do anything about it...

Angry Joe reportedly lost 62 videos from this software despite the majority of his videos being reviews which is protected by fair use.

Yeah. The lesson here to content creators is do NOT let the music play clearly. Almost all music in these games is licensed outside of the game and that's where issues arise. I'm willing to bet that's what nailed Joe. He'll do actions and skits with the game music playing in the background. He's never had this issue that average users have because he was under Maker's umbrella until this.

It sucks that he was left at the side of the road by Maker studio and not informed about this before(given ample time to pull and/or edit) though. It only takes a few clear musical notes for it to be picked up on a claim. Always talk over it or mute/edit where possible. While Joe isn't one of my favourite personalities, he does put a lot of hard work into his videos and it sucks that this happened how it happened to him.

As I said, Maker, Machinima, etc knew about this months ago

I enjoy watching some playthroughs (mostly without comments). They can establish a mood like when you were playing a game together with a friend through the night and you changed positions between the desk and the bed because you ran out of ideas, got exhausted or fed up but still wanted to progress. This used to trigger nice conversations too.

Anyway as long as the sales are great enough no one cares but once they drop or people want to utalise the full potential, especially those story driven games are vulnerable. Playthroughs come for free (apart from the usual costs), the passive mode can be a lot more relaxing and entertaining, for all that moral and choices punk they can be time savers to explore the alternatives (as far as they exist), they generally can be a time (being able to fast forward or skip unwanted scenes completely) and money saver, they can offer nice nostalgic feelings or even be informative in a way like showing a game you otherwise never were able to play due to some reasons (too hard, wrong platform, too expensive, ...).

I doubt that Bejeweled playthroughs will make a lot of splashes but for games with almost zero gameplay mechanics, where only the story counts, that's the way to go (my TWD dude certainly will play TWD2 as well, so if i get interested enough to watch ...), but beware, not everyone who pirates, uhm watches a playthrough, also would buy the game. Don't make the same mistake twice.

It doesn't really matter what they do, it's not going away. They can request their content to be removed from the filter(so I've heard), but there's no guarantee with that(plus, that has to be actively and voluntarily done). National Music Publishers’ Association and Viacom both sued Youtube over copyright infringement(which Google has been found liable in a previous case). If Google isn't actively pursuing it's flock, it will open the flood gates for anyone and everyone to sue them. It will be years...YEARS before an agreement between rights holders and online personalities is ironed out and I highly doubt that this will be the last and only step taken by Google along this avenue.

Real advice? Make friends with Blip, Twitch, Vimeo, whatever just in case.

As far as I'm aware, the publishers that sent false claims are telling youtubers to dispute the claims and make it known which videos got flagged so they can take them down. People have also been tweeting that the network Polaris is doing a good job getting these claims taken care of, and I believe Joe is apart of them(Polaris is a subset of maker aren't they?), so he should be fixed here soon.

and I believe Joe is apart of them

Yes. Joe was part of The Game Station and is part of Polaris.

Then he should be getting these resolved as I've seen smaller channels(Youalwayswin for example) state that polaris has already taken care of the majority of their claims

The real odd part here was that Joe is supposed to have been a managed partner and shouldn't have seen any of this. Either they downgraded him to affiliate, or they made a mistake categorizing him.

The real odd part here was that Joe is supposed to have been a managed partner and shouldn't have seen any of this. Either they downgraded him to affiliate, or they made a mistake categorizing him.

Really? How do we know he was supposed to be managed? Is there a specific list or requirements we can read?

It seems like Managed is even rarer than expected with only the channels Polaris knows they can trust getting it...

I can see why as with the new youtube policies managed partners mucking up could take down the entire network...

Still it is surprising that so little have been given it but I've heard that even less Machinima partners are getting it...

Really? How do we know he was supposed to be managed? Is there a specific list or requirements we can read?

No, but he would've been with his relationship beforehand(his previous standing before they recategorized)... before they became liable for his work. I think the fact he isn't managed even caught him by surprise. Once all the information filtered through, he got really quiet. That's also an indication that they are trying to help him while keeping their reputation off the line. So everything might end up okay.

With two lawsuits regarding copyright floating around, I think any channel that doesn't offer original creation will find it extremely hard to be managed. All it takes is one judgement and I believe Networks will be weary of that.

Angry Joe released a lot less ranty video of what is happening right now.

And here is the way YouTube is going.

Hoping things clear up, otherwise gaming content on YouTube from people not on massive "affiliate managed" channels like TotalBiscuit are essentially boned.