• Announcements

• Spaff

These Forums are closing!   10/04/2019

After more than a decade of serving this community well, these forums have finally run their course and it's time to close them down. That doesn't mean we want to close the doors on our community, quite the opposite!
      Our discord server grows ever busier by the day, and we encourage all Double Fine fans to meet us over there www.discord.gg/doublefine In a short time these forums will become a read only archive and will remain that way until they become needed again.
      You never know, it might happen.  There is... a prophecy. Thank you all for being part of these forums, and remember that the fun is definitely not over - so please join us on Discord! Love ya, Spaff, Tim, Info Cow, and all of Double Fine.

Howdy. Name's...it's right there, you know what my name is. I hail from the ScrewAttack forums, on which I have the same name, and may therefore spout annoying VS-related bologna from time to time. So far, Psychonauts is the only DF game I've played, and I hope to change that sometime soon. I'm hyped as can be for Psychonauts 2 and really wish I had the means to play Rhombus of Ruin.

Like, seriously. I only played Psychonauts for the first time a matter of weeks ago, completing it 101% days ago. I absolutely adore it, and can't wait to see more. I'm almost glad I played it as late as I did so I'd be waiting one year for the sequel instead of 13.

Is there, like, a set of rules for this forum anywhere? I can't find one.

Edited by Iron Joe

27 minutes ago, Iron Joe said:

Howdy. Name's...it's right there, you know what my name is. I hail from the ScrewAttack forums, on which I have the same name, and may therefore spout annoying VS-related bologna from time to time. So far, Psychonauts is the only DF game I've played, and I hope to change that sometime soon. I'm hyped as can be for Psychonauts 2 and really wish I had the means to play Rhombus of Ruin.

Like, seriously. I only played Psychonauts for the first time a matter of weeks ago, completing it 101% days ago. I absolutely adore it, and can't wait to see more. I'm almost glad I played it as late as I did so I'd be waiting one year for the sequel instead of 13.

Is there, like, a set of rules for this forum anywhere? I can't find one.

Are you the same Iron Joe from the Death Battle forums?  If so, then it's a small world.  :)

Edit: Nvm, good to see you!  I go by the name MasterOfAwesomeness on that site.

Edited by epic

Sick! Didn't think I'd see anyone from there here given the lack of replies to my Psychonauts thread.

Welcome aboard. I will always be thankful to ScrewAttack for giving us James Rolfe.

57 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

Welcome aboard. I will always be thankful to ScrewAttack for giving us James Rolfe.

It seems AVGN is his own product now.  I haven't seen AVGN associated with Screw Attack in a while.  Now with Screw Attack separating themselves into Game Attack, the only thing Screw Attack has left is Death Battle.  Also, when it comes to Double Fine and Rooster Teeth, the RT Family that DF has allied themselves with is Funhaus.

As a former fan and now just sort of occasional watcher of Death Battle, I don't take too kindly to RT. Never heard of this Funhaus thing.

1 hour ago, Iron Joe said:

As a former fan and now just sort of occasional watcher of Death Battle, I don't take too kindly to RT. Never heard of this Funhaus thing.

Funhaus (formerly Inside Gaming when they were with Machinima) are a group of let's players from LA who work for Rooster Teeth.  Last year, James Willems auditioned for a minor role (a talking toilet) in Psychonauts 2.

19 hours ago, epic said:

Funhaus (formerly Inside Gaming when they were with Machinima) are a group of let's players from LA who work for Rooster Teeth.  Last year, James Willems auditioned for a minor role (a talking toilet) in Psychonauts 2.

Ah. That's interesting. Wonder what kinda character's mind would have a talking toilet in it...

9 hours ago, TimeGentleman said:

There's a Guidelines link up in the top left just above "Home":

https://forums.doublefine.com/guidelines/

Neat! That's gotta be the most entertaining set of rules I ever read.

I was kinda hoping for a solid confirmation on whether or not I can curse here. I guess not? I haven't seen anyone else do it.

Edited by Iron Joe

Yeah, although the section on Be Not Profane doesn't mention it explicitly, I think there's a no swearing rule. There at least used to be swear filters on here, but they may have got lost in the upgrade.

@Spaff? Mods?

Welcome, new people! :)

On 21/02/2017 at 8:35 AM, TimeGentleman said:

Yeah, although the section on Be Not Profane doesn't mention it explicitly, I think there's a no swearing rule. There at least used to be swear filters on here, but they may have got lost in the upgrade.

@Spaff? Mods?

Yeah, we don't want cursing here. This should be a nice and inclusive place to be, even for kids and others with a low tolerance to swearing. 

20 minutes ago, flesk said:

Welcome, new people! :)

Yeah, we don't want cursing here. This should be a nice and inclusive place to be, even for kids and others with a low tolerance to swearing. 

@Iron Joe If you try and curse it will be censored, so merely swearing won't be too big of an issue, the issue arises when you deliberately circumvent the profanities filter.

testing:

shiP

EDIT: changed t to P now, but I originally just typed in the swearword there @Bidiot Bales and it posted with no censorship. I've also seen at least one other person post that swearword without getting censored, so I think the filter is broken at least for that word.

Edited by TimeGentleman

4 hours ago, TimeGentleman said:

testing:

shiP

EDIT: changed t to P now, but I originally just typed in the swearword there @Bidiot Bales and it posted with no censorship. I've also seen at least one other person post that swearword without getting censored, so I think the filter is broken at least for that word.

Shit isn't censored intentionally, Spaff didn't think it to be a particularly offensive word nowadays.

If you believe it should be censored you can PM Spaff and bring it up.

3 hours ago, epic said:

I rather you guys not censor the swearing.

Sure, you might rather that, however this forum is intended to be a space where all ages can come and enjoy discussion, and although at the moment it's mostly adults, there have been kids on here before and there likely will be in the future, so best to censor anything particularly offensive.

22 hours ago, Bidiot Bales said:

Shit isn't censored intentionally, Spaff didn't think it to be a particularly offensive word nowadays.

If you believe it should be censored you can PM Spaff and bring it up.

Huh, really? Maybe Spaff is taking the American point of view, where it's seen as less strong than in Britain.

It's fine by me, wherever the admins draw the line is fine by me, I just assumed that would be strong enough to be censored!

Crap Damn %#$@&! Arse Ass Bum Willy Poop %#$@&! Fart

Edited by TimeGentleman

Shit is one of the most arbitrarily-defined swears ever. It's one of those "because I said so" swears. I get some words being taboo because they refer to topics that aren't considered family friendly, such as the F-word, or a particularly harsh insult, such as the B-word. Although I kinda think it's dumb that we've created this big ol' taboo around things concerning the F-word, such that acknowledging the action's existence is considered raunchy and scandalous, that's just what we've done for some reason, and that's a subject for a different time and place.

So are all words that have been uttered by Raz fair game?

Edit: Forgot I had another question. How strict is this forum's policy on necroposting?

Edited by Iron Joe

On 2/25/2017 at 10:24 PM, Iron Joe said:

Shit is one of the most arbitrarily-defined swears ever. It's one of those "because I said so" swears. I get some words being taboo because they refer to topics that aren't considered family friendly, such as the F-word, or a particularly harsh insult, such as the B-word. Although I kinda think it's dumb that we've created this big ol' taboo around things concerning the F-word, such that acknowledging the action's existence is considered raunchy and scandalous, that's just what we've done for some reason, and that's a subject for a different time and place.

So are all words that have been uttered by Raz fair game?

Edit: Forgot I had another question. How strict is this forum's policy on necroposting?

Perhaps 'Introduce yourself' isn't the best place to carry this on but my 2 pence is that shit has become softened considerably by phrases like 'bullshit' which right now seems like almost a polite (if informal) way to talk about nonsense-talk.  

On 4/3/2017 at 1:02 PM, KestrelPi said:

shit has become softened considerably

Always a good thing.

3 hours ago, TimeGentleman said:

Always a good thing.

This forum gets lots of fiber in its diet, what can I say. :happytim:

hi! my name is Liz. i do some game design/game criticism/music for stuff. i just watched the Double Fine Adventure series and really liked it, so i figured i'd check out the forums just to see what it's like in this neck of the woods! i also have had at least one friend work for Double Fine before (though i've never worked in the industry proper), so i guess it makes my curiosity heightened even more. i don't expect to post here too much but who knows! it's always fun to see what people are talking about.

(also i'm sure this is mentioned somewhere else so i apologize in advance for being dumb, but how do i change my avatar?)

1 hour ago, ellaguro said:

hi! my name is Liz. i do some game design/game criticism/music for stuff. i just watched the Double Fine Adventure series and really liked it, so i figured i'd check out the forums just to see what it's like in this neck of the woods! i also have had at least one friend work for Double Fine before (though i've never worked in the industry proper), so i guess it makes my curiosity heightened even more. i don't expect to post here too much but who knows! it's always fun to see what people are talking about.

(also i'm sure this is mentioned somewhere else so i apologize in advance for being dumb, but how do i change my avatar?)

Go to your profile, go to your avatar on the bottom left of your header, click on the symbol on your avatar and you should see a popup with some image uploading options.  Hope this helps!

Edited by epic

Ahoy-hoy!

I'm Kaffebaggel a guy in his early thirties from Sweden.

I want my music loud, my videogames quiet and my porridge just right.

I make things over at Mammothtree studios and i am currently making a old-timey-lucas-artsy point & click game called Omnichronic.

I also make loud noises in a band called Signo Rojo.

I'm more of a listener than a talker but i'm working on it.

Let's be cyber-friends!