Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

Beta access?

I'm not complaining or anything, but I was just wondering: If the game is going to be released in Jan, when are we going to get Beta access?

Just wondering! :)

Thanks. Cannot wait to play this game! (Although, given the way the press can be so incredibly lazy, I guess bad things could come from releasing a Beta that was riddled with bugs -- That said, I do believe it's all in how you frame it. For example: Spacebase seems to have a very lovely community, whereas Godus's are just about to spark a riot -- Spacebase told everyone is was an Alpha, whereas Godus released an Alpha and sold it as a Beta.

I'm not complaining or anything, but I was just wondering: If the game is going to be released in Jan, when are we going to get Beta access?

Just wondering! :)

Thanks. Cannot wait to play this game! (Although, given the way the press can be so incredibly lazy, I guess bad things could come from releasing a Beta that was riddled with bugs -- That said, I do believe it's all in how you frame it. For example: Spacebase seems to have a very lovely community, whereas Godus's are just about to spark a riot -- Spacebase told everyone is was an Alpha, whereas Godus released an Alpha and sold it as a Beta.

As stated by Greg in the other thread:

Don't want to share exact dates quite yet in case small changes need to happen, but yes backers will be getting the game a few weeks ahead of selling it. And yes, that will happen in January.

Having looked at some of the twitter feeds recently, I think we can expect the official release of Part 1 late January (last week probably). So that would probably mean that we'll get the Beta around the first week.

@doublefine (December 19): "We're getting pretty close! Backers get to play Part 1 in just a few weeks!"

Also, according to the new DF Newsletter I received yesterday, we'll get a nice, big christmas present from 2PP real soon!

"If you're a backer, there's a new episode coming in mere days! It's a big one. And a good one. Get ready."

Having looked at some of the twitter feeds recently, I think we can expect the official release of Part 1 late January (last week probably). So that would probably mean that we'll get the Beta around the first week.

@doublefine (December 19): "We're getting pretty close! Backers get to play Part 1 in just a few weeks!"

Also, according to the new DF Newsletter I received yesterday, we'll get a nice, big christmas present from 2PP real soon!

"If you're a backer, there's a new episode coming in mere days! It's a big one. And a good one. Get ready."

SO EXCITED.

So have beta phases officially changed from a needed playthrough/debugging phase into a hype only phase? With only a few weeks between 'beta' access and public release i don't see how they could really fix or modify the game in time should anything arise.

So have beta phases officially changed from a needed playthrough/debugging phase into a hype only phase? With only a few weeks between 'beta' access and public release i don't see how they could really fix or modify the game in time should anything arise.

Actually, despite the limited time I suspect it will be very valuable time for a couple reasons:

a) It'll be the first time the game will be tested on a large variety of systems, which will help to ferret out any compatibility issues that need addressing, some of which may be easy fixes in a 2 week time frame

b) For similar reasons, it's the largest test so far, so that will enable them to identify whether there are any showstopping bugs that don't come up during the regular course of play but might happen in a certain rare set of circumstances which they just haven't come across yet. In adventure games, often these things are just to do with a slightly wonky bit of game logic, and might be quite easy to fix in a short time.

So while it's true that major changes aren't going to happen in those 2 weeks, I think it's very unfair to say it's just hype.

Actually, despite the limited time I suspect it will be very valuable time for a couple reasons:

a) It'll be the first time the game will be tested on a large variety of systems, which will help to ferret out any compatibility issues that need addressing, some of which may be easy fixes in a 2 week time frame

b) For similar reasons, it's the largest test so far, so that will enable them to identify whether there are any showstopping bugs that don't come up during the regular course of play but might happen in a certain rare set of circumstances which they just haven't come across yet. In adventure games, often these things are just to do with a slightly wonky bit of game logic, and might be quite easy to fix in a short time.

So while it's true that major changes aren't going to happen in those 2 weeks, I think it's very unfair to say it's just hype.

But aren't your two reasons also reasons to have more time for the beta? Compatibility issues are kinda big from what i have heard from other developers. There have been games that were delayed by 6 months or so because of things like different android version and device compatibilities.

Yep, they'll be probably more interested in crash reports via steam more than anything.

Although crashes are serious bugs, the nice thing about them is that most are usually easy to fix, once you have the proper crash dump file.

I'm also not sure this is the duration that was initially intended, they probably assume that the alpha was extensive enough to count as internal beta in terms of the quality of the result.

But aren't your two reasons also reasons to have more time for the beta? Compatibility issues are kinda big from what i have heard from other developers. There have been games that were delayed by 6 months or so because of things like different android version and device compatibilities.

They're reasons to have more time if they did, in fact, have more time. But they don't - they need to release something, and the game has only recently gone into internal beta, so they need to make best use of the time they do have.

But besides, this is a Steam release only, so they don't need to worry so much about weird Android device stuff - they have more time to test that.

Just a quick question about the beta, will the backer release a DRM-free version or is Steam required for playing just with the Early Access version for the regular buyers? I'm sure this has been asked before in some other threads, so sorry for that, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could clarify this! :)

Just a quick question about the beta, will the backer release a DRM-free version or is Steam required for playing just with the Early Access version for the regular buyers? I'm sure this has been asked before in some other threads, so sorry for that, but I'd really appreciate it if someone could clarify this! :)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the backer beta will also be done through Steam's Early Access, so yes you do need Steam to participate. There has been talks about how it's logistically best for DF to distribute it through Steam so I assume we're also getting it via the same mean. The DRM-free version will be available when the whole game is released.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the backer beta will also be done through Steam's Early Access, so yes you do need Steam to participate. There has been talks about how it's logistically best for DF to distribute it through Steam so I assume we're also getting it via the same mean. The DRM-free version will be available when the whole game is released.

For the beta that's definitely the case, but it's not so certain with the Steam Early Access stuff. I think certainly it'll initially be Steam Early access but it wouldn't surprise me if they started rolling Part 1 out to the other platforms too. May have to wait for part 2 for DRM free options though I guess.

Also when you saw the board it was just timed really close up and they only want to release a true complete product as beta that will only need bug testing. They just don't have more time to make longer testing phase.

They're reasons to have more time if they did, in fact, have more time. But they don't - they need to release something, and the game has only recently gone into internal beta, so they need to make best use of the time they do have.

But besides, this is a Steam release only, so they don't need to worry so much about weird Android device stuff - they have more time to test that.

Yep, these are two of the best things we'll get from the beta. Lots of compat bugs and progression stuff that can be easily addressed before release. As you saw in AF, our programmers are pretty dang good and can do a lot in 2-3 weeks. I imagine we'll get a lot of good info out of this and make a lot of key changes that will help insure a super polished release.

Beta access will be available to all backers or a selection of backers?

Act I will be available to everyone?

It's available to everyone for the beta inside the backer group. And Act 1 will be available for everyone a few weeks later.

It's available to everyone for the beta inside the backer group. And Act 1 will be available for everyone a few weeks later.

I wonder where they will send the codes to enter thou

Kickstarter E-mail, most likely.

Well, I have a Humble Account with the same e-mail I used for the Kickstarter, and under 'Claim Past Purchases' there is now a Broken Age link. There's no code there (yet), but it does list what your tier will include. Most likely, the Steam codes will appear once they are ready.

Smart money is humble store. It's already working if you do claim past purchases with the right email address.

Edit - Just to clear up things, as was said above, you can't download anything or get a steam code, it's a placeholder page added to your account for the moment.

Hmm, I don't seem to have a humble section for Broken Age in my library. Guess we'll find out soon enough how the codes will be going out, the 14th is just around the corner.

Hmm, I don't seem to have a humble section for Broken Age in my library. Guess we'll find out soon enough how the codes will be going out, the 14th is just around the corner.
You need to use the humble key resender (and use the same email you got DFA with). There isn't really a need to do it early, as on the 13th an email will go out explaining all the things, and then on the 14th the beta will unlock.

Sign in to follow this