Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 13: Crash Landing a Plane

Here it is! The Part 1 backer beta is only a few weeks away--tide yourself over with this extra-long new episode!

[vimeo]82427142[/vimeo]

06:05- The Cloaca: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloaca

07:30- The main hub of the cloud colony was one of the first areas painted for the game, and it went through more alterations than any other area.

09:50- The HOF is Double Fine’s “Hour of Fun”, a studio-wide game testing party that allows everyone to experience the projects in production and give feedback on their progress.

12:15- Gaijin Games, Creators of the Bit.Trip series, recently announced their new title “Destructamundo” at Double Fine’s Day of the Devs Event. http://gaijingames.com/

19:45- “Ducking” is an audio production technique that lowers the volume of one track of audio in relation to another. In this instance, the audio team is talking about the music and sound effects of the game in relation to the dialog.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ducking

20:50-

21:10- Foley is the art of recording sound effects for games, film, animation, and radio. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foley_(filmmaking)

22:50- Some string and woodwind sessions where recorded at Pyramind Studios, which happens to be in walking distance of the Double Fine office. It was also Camden’s audio school, responsible for introducing him to a position at Double Fine.

25:40- 2 Player was fortunate to have video production friends in Melbourne who were able to cover the orchestra recording session. Special thanks to Cybertrix Media. http://cybertrix.com.au/

27:35- Peter was actually at a small studio just outside of San Francisco. Melbourne is 19 hours ahead of San Francisco, which works out to be only a 5 hour difference in terms or daylight time.

34:30-

43:30- Since there is a gluten free variety of Rice Krispies, if those squares are made with regular Rice Krispies we’re going to guess they are in fact, not gluten free. http://www.ricekrispies.com/products/rice-krispies-gluten-free-cereal

Great episode!

I wish you would consider posting censored versions of future episodes to make them as spoiler free as possible, like blurring all in-game footage.

Great episode!

I wish you would consider posting censored versions of future episodes to make them as spoiler free as possible, like blurring all in-game footage.

They haven't shown much anyway one section allot and rest only small snippets on a game that will be probably fairly sized adventure.

Haha Chris Remo, you're still using the ''Cloud to Butt' plugin?

shiiiiiiiiiiit.

Aww, I just missed the unedited post lol.

On the topic of the backer-only beta, will playthroughs of the beta be able to be uploaded to youtube, or will they need to be held onto until the official public release?

On the topic of the backer-only beta, will playthroughs of the beta be able to be uploaded to youtube, or will they need to be held onto until the official public release?

We'll be requesting that backers be sensitive to the fact that non-backers won't be able to play the game yet so we'd like it if people could hold off on that level of spoiler until the game is out for real. But it's the internet, so we won't really be able to stop anyone. It's more just a case of "use your best judgment in how you discuss the game."

That was so great. Really surprised and delighted that you managed to get an orchestral recording.

I really liked the more in depth look at Tim's thought processes here. I think that that early sequence where Tim is talking about the process of balancing puzzles really highlights something that I think some people have been doubtful about - which is that he does understand what it is to write a puzzle that is challenging in the right way, and that he knows the effect that various choices will make in making particular puzzles easier and harder. He also knows that just because one person says 'I was frustrated with x' doesn't necessarily mean there's something wrong with X.

In some previous episodes I think we've seen people giving feedback and some people have been worried that all the feedback is just vacuumed up and executed on, but it's clear to me that the game is much more authored than that. It was clear again when he asked that animation to be re-done, because I know it's hard to convince people to do work for you when they're not sure it's the right thing, especially when they've spent a long time doing it a different way.

It can be a flaw, too. Someone who is too unchangeable are either terrible to work with or end up surrounding themselves with people who won't speak up, and the whole thing suffers - but I don't get that impression here. It's just someone who understands what the game is and is able to bring people along to make that happen.

It's very... ahem... inspiring to watch.

I can't believe you took a game that already looks great and made it so much better!

Excellent episode.

The recording session by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra was awesome! :)

Fantastic episode!

This was by far the most all-encompassing episode yet, with a lot of insight into animation, foley, dialog, music, gameplay and how everything comes together.

Thank you for the Christmas present.

Hnnng, the game looks so good and the music sounds so good! Everything is coming together so beautifully!

We'll be requesting that backers be sensitive to the fact that non-backers won't be able to play the game yet so we'd like it if people could hold off on that level of spoiler until the game is out for real. But it's the internet, so we won't really be able to stop anyone. It's more just a case of "use your best judgment in how you discuss the game."

Sounds good; thanks for the response!

Just finished watching the episode and this is my reaction both to the quality of the documentary and to the clear emphasis on polish that everyone involved has been bringing to the game:

tumblr_lo2zqb6h5P1qzsyre.gif

Can't wait to play the beta! =D

Also Happy Holidays!

My Christmas has been made all warm and fuzzy with this new episode! Whooooooooo! So excited to sit back and watch this bad boy!

This was awesome! Great episode, 2PP have grown so much in there editing and how well the present each new episode so much better. It's a pace thing I think. Great! The audio part made it just so much more fun and enjoyable.

What a present for 24th, Here in Sweden we celebrate christmas then at eve 25th. So this was great! Thank you everyone! I feelt like Tim was a great santa this year around.

Merry Christmas to all of you who do that sort of thing. Happy Hanukkah to the other bunch ;D

What ever that makes your all fuzzy and warm inside to the rest.

Thank you 2PP for the hard work that must have been put in to get this episode done as a Xmas present for us backers. I will certainly take the time to blast it on the big screen, popcorn at the ready, to enjoy it as much as possible!

Happy Christmas! Also for everyone at DF and my fellow backers of course.

First: SO HYPED for this game. Like, I was cheering at certain parts of the episode. This is so cool guys.

I did have a question, and kind of a weird meta one: What effect is the documentary itself having on development? Like, if I were the artist who animated the entire Marek scene that had to be redone, I think I'd actually find some solace in knowing the backers saw it in the documentary (and Tim gave it such a great compliment) and just knowing that all my hard work wasn't wasted because of it. It's got to take some of the sting off. I imagine there's a number of other things that would be slightly different just because of the public nature of development, and I'd be interested in hearing more about that.

Also, random idea that if it could somehow be implemented might be cool: the repetitive sequence could have some kind of joke that shows up every time, or maybe subtly changes? A repeated gag would keep the repetitive nature of the scene intact (and still be appropriately frustrating) but would keep it entertaining while the player tries to break out of the loop.

Maybe I was the only one that didn't watch VGX (lolz), so I apologize for missing the HUGE news about Elijah Wood! That absolutely blew me away when I saw that...

This game is just looking so, so good. Can't wait!

Holy shit that score. I had no idea we'd be hearing anything close to that wonderful. Now I feel absolutely confident that the game will look beautiful, sound beautiful, have brilliant writing and incredible voice acting. The only boxes left to tick for me are difficulty/quality of puzzles and length. But that's the sort of thing I'll have to wait to get my hands on the game to see. Really can't wait now.

Do we know what the gap between backer beta and public release for act 1 will be yet? Or is that a case if 'done when it's done'?

Sign in to follow this