Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 13: Crash Landing a Plane

Absolutely stunning. The string bit at 24:45 could have killed me right there and then.

Hope everyone gets a good break, seems like there's a incredible amount of work ahead.

Also, would the game's OST be sold separately after release?

EPIC. Just seriously epic. My mind is blown into bits. Could you please hire 2pp to film all your releases? They're doing a great job and this whole thing is making me wish I had gone into game production instead of math education.

This game looks terrible, I want my money back and....wait is this not the Nascar 2013 game forum?...which forum is this?

BROKEN AGE?

Man that games looks amazing, super excited, almost wanna rush through the holidays just so I can play

Great episode!

I wish you would consider posting censored versions of future episodes to make them as spoiler free as possible, like blurring all in-game footage.

They haven't shown much anyway one section allot and rest only small snippets on a game that will be probably fairly sized adventure.

That may be true but I still would prefer to look all that stuff when I'll play the game for the first time. And I'm especially referring to future episodes, after act 1 has been released. Most backers will play actI when it's released, and showing more of the gameplay footage may not be considered as a spoiler. However I consider it "visual" spoiler and I'm planning on playing the game after act 2 is released so I really want to see as little as possible. I understand it's not simple to make the documentary without at least some minor spoilers, I was only asking for a separate censored version with blurred most of the game visuals, not to censor the official episodes.

I don't know, maybe I'm weird, but when I play a game I want everything to feel completely new, unexpected and unexplored. And I really, REALLY, enjoy watching the documentary.

i'm from Melbourne and I have to say, seeing the tram that goes past my house and then the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra appear on my screen i actually teared up a little... The orchestra is an amazing addition to the game, they have done so many amazing things in the past (They did their own version of Video Games Live last year and have also performed with KISS as part of a Rock/Symphony collaboration). I cannot wait to play this game!!!! This episode truly made my day :)

Dear gods, that music :o

That's the kind of stuff John Williams hasn't been able to write since the early nineties <3

Please tell me we're getting the soundtrack for part I in january as well (if not earlier)?

Seriously got my money worth from just all the 2pp episodes alone. Love you doublefine been a fan of tim n Lucasarts games since monkey n dott!!! Wishing u all a great xmas n happy holidays. Seem like a great studio n group of people to work with! The audio to this game and everything is just so well done. A classic, a game that is timeless, work of art and something talked about for the ages!!

Sincerly, a backer from the moment I found out my childhood legend was back at it!!

Peter summed up my feelings about this episode thus: "Perfect."

Dave, I can tell you were kinda crushed. Not just because you had to do the scene over, but because you were genuinely proud of your work. For what its worth, I think Tim made the right call but I wanted to give you a hug nonetheless. And I came away from your follow up interview just having mad respect for your creative ambition. Wanting to one day "prove Tim wrong" is an awesome goal to have. You're not about meeting expectations, you're about shattering them. Keep at it.

Another great episode. I really hope the game lives up to the giant expectations ,based on this documentary, I have now. But I have faith it will be awesome!

Thanks for doing this 2pp. This is the stuff I would have loved to have seen in the old Lucas-days, but seeing it now may be even better. I'm almost dreading the release of the game now, even as I'm really looking forward to it as well. Like the analogy of the christmas tree... Dreading the needles, but loving the lights :).

Anyway, great job Double Fine. You're all amazing!

Take your time (=2014), especially for the release of the full game. I hope that the further budget allows you to tweak some minor issues in the first part afterwards as well in order to allow a more consistent overall feeling. Riddle related, please make this game for adventure gamers in the first place, to be more precisely LucasArts adventure gamers. I really think we have different expectations regarding this aspect.

There need to be puzzles which aren't this hard (entertaining but not stupid or boring either) and there also need to be some harder ones where you need to think and get creative in order to solve them (at best in some of the cooler scenes). A well balanced walk through the mountains of difficulty, i prefer an constant up & down with a slight steady increase but the end also shouldn't feel 10 times as hard at the beginning as then the beginning was too easy and the end too hard, with only a tiny sweet spot in the middle.

Some parts of the music sounded great, others not so much. The animation for Marek looked displaced to the way i had the character in mind, it seemed like he was drunken or so. Still don't like the cloud world but i guess there were sneaks into other areas as well, can't say for sure as i mostly trying to close my eyes then. Anyway, good luck and merry christmas! *<(:o)

This video won't play on my phone. :( Is it using a different plugin?

Edit: in a different browser I was able to see the link to the different video format. (It was being cut off in my default browser.)

Rewarding to watch that episode thanks, a lovely insight into the game development process. Sad to see good ideas heading for the cutting room floor, but a game should have a consistent vision which normally is going to be one person's vision. Eagerly waiting this game!

When Dave G. is discussing the redo of the Shay/Marek scene animation (just after time code 37:42), he mentions cutting a bunch of stuff, and sending it "over to super genius", who then does stuff, like adding minor flurries.

Anyone know what he's talking about? Is it these dudes? Google gave me that, so who really knows, but I'm curious who that shout-out is to :)

When Dave G. is discussing the redo of the Shay/Marek scene animation (just after time code 37:42), he mentions cutting a bunch of stuff, and sending it "over to super genius", who then does stuff, like adding minor flurries.

Anyone know what he's talking about? Is it these dudes? Google gave me that, so who really knows, but I'm curious who that shout-out is to :)

Yeah, perhaps you missed the previous episode? They go into some detail on the animation stuff, and what they're doing right now is outsourcing some of the animation in order to get as many animations as possible in the game, and also I guess to do a polishing pass on the base animations. Seems like it's working out pretty well for them.

I could not be more excited for Broken Age! I'm a big Double Fine fan, and I absolutely adore Psychonauts. I've probably gifted it to at least five people at this point because I want to share the experience with everyone! I even bought an Xbox 360 controller for my game dev friend down in Anaheim so he could experience it to the fullest on his PC. He's a DF fan now! Brutal Legend was great fun too, but Psychonauts is a game that I still think about when I daydream at work.

I'm glad the team is using a live orchestra, because I interned at a music studio in Santa Monica, and I produce music for pleasure on the side. It's really easy to tell when audio designers really give it their all by not just phoning it in with samples. All that hard work is really going to pay off in the end. There's just so much talent in one space, that I am inspired by everyone involved at DF. Even people who do the jobs with little recognition, there is great admiration in my heart for them.

There's something really profound about the quote in this episode that likened the environment of Double Fine to an artisan's studio rather than a production line. I think that's what sets this project apart from everything else. Whenever I play Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, or any of the DF games, I get this wonderful feeling that the game isn't just something produced for profit but is a massive labor of love by everyone involved, and that keeps me coming back for more.

Merry Christmas! Take some well-deserved rest with your families, and I'll see you all in the beta. :)

PS: Tim, I stole your notebook idea about writing down game ideas. It's really therapeutic for me, so thank you.

Can't wait for the beta! You guys (and girls) are doing awesome work. Love the music too! Y'all have a nice holiday. January is gonna be awesome because of this game. :)

Amazing episode, best Christmas present ever! You're all amazing! I saw a tram and thought, " wow, SF looks way more like Melbourne than I thought it....oh wait". Great music, loving it.

I have to say watching this episode and then watching the first few episodes, really lays out the incredible journey this game has taken.

It makes me really "inspired" and really points out the heart of the Double Fine team. I hope this game revives the adventure game genre.

Thanks to 2 Player Productions for filming this. You guys do amazing work.

Best Episode Ever!! It is so awesome to see everyone getting stuck into their work, fixing, polishing and pushing ahead. Come on Double Fine! You can do it, bring it on home :-) you guys rock.

I had goose-bumps when I heard the orchestral score. Although that may be because I had a window open and there was a bit of a draft! Either way, it's sounding fantastic and suitably epic.

I was excited when I heard that Elijah Wood would (wood would?!) be providing his voice to the main male character but nothing had prepared me for just how great his performance is sounding from the brief snippets we heard.

Of course, no-one knows whether a game will be truly great until it's finished (developers included) but with no small amount of trepidation, I'm feeling something special with what we've seen of 'Broken Age' thus far. A future classic adventure game? Only time will tell but this has the greatest potential I've seen since the golden days of LucasArts.

However, there is one thing that's been bugging me increasingly, the more I see of the game; the more I regret backing a mere $15. Double Fine, I owe you a huge apology for that. I hope a boxed disc version will be available to non-backers in the future so that I can amend my mis-calculation of payment.

All in all, I can hardly contain my excitement. If I trust anyone to deliver a blinding adventure game experience, then it's unquestionably Tim Schafer and the highly talented folks at Double Fine.

I'm glad the team is using a live orchestra, because I interned at a music studio in Santa Monica, and I produce music for pleasure on the side. It's really easy to tell when audio designers really give it their all by not just phoning it in with samples. All that hard work is really going to pay off in the end.

A little unfair to describe it as 'phoning it in' I think. All these things are budget related, rather than how much effort the audio designers are making. For example I care deeply about the music I write for my games, but I certainly can't afford an orchestra, and I can't even afford as many samples than I'd really like. No musician would choose samples over live instruments just because they couldn't be bothered to do it live - in fact, in many ways, live is less effort, because you don't need to do so much to get a feeling of performance out of the instruments :)

The orchestra in action was so thrilling... :-)

Anyway, I hope they'll retain those LucasArts-style fonts in the final game. That's the kind of nod to the past I really like (whereas I'm not that much into pixel-art).

For some reason the part where both Greg and Anna start writing notes at the same time cracked me up.

I don't know why.

Help me.

I found it amusing as well.

...I hope they'll retain those LucasArts-style fonts in the final game. That's the kind of nod to the past I really like...

I very much agree with this. Please keep the fonts as are, Double Fine.

There's something that I didn't understand. Perhaps it's just the phrasing that was used.

It was mentioned that you have only so much time before it's "put down the pencils and it's just fixing bugs" (or something along those lines). Why is that? I mean, I realize you want to ship the first part being as best as possible, but you'll be releasing it on Steam Early Access - things already in the game CAN improve at that point, can't they?

Or was that because after part 1 the art team will need to immediately jump into part 2 and there simply isn't enough time to make any more content?

Sign in to follow this