Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 13: Crash Landing a Plane

The music alone will make this great. I've gotten 10x my money's worth just in the documentary updates! If the game is as good as it feels so far, I'm going to buy this game for everyone I know who doesn't believe in adventure games :)

Peter's and Elijah's parts gave me chills. Great job guys! Always looking forward to these and this one really knocked it out of the park.

Thanks again!

For some reason the part where both Greg and Anna start writing notes at the same time cracked me up.

I don't know why.

Help me.

Okay, here goes:

How Making A Game Is Like Decorating A Christmas Tree

by Mikki Saturn

Making a game is like decorating a Christmas tree. First you have to decide what kind of game to make. What do you think of this game? "No, too small and sad." What about this one? "No, no, too big for the living room. Plus it won't fit in the stand!" What about this one? "Douglas Fir?! UGH!!"

Once everyone has given up on making the game they wanted and compromised on something reasonable, you take the game home all wrapped up in that plastic net and you set it up in your living room (or what not). Then you get all the boxes of lights and ornaments out of the closet and at this point everyone is excited because they are imagining how great this game is going to be.

So you start putting some graphics on first, because you pretty much need some form of graphics in order to see if anything is working. And some people are purists and they only the like the plain white graphics, but other people are crazier and like the multi-colored flashing graphics (except there's always that one bit of graphics that just won't flash right).

But anyway once the lights, I mean graphics, are on you have to start hanging up all the little gameplay bits. No wait, let's call them gameplayments. And as you unwrap each delicate little gameplayment from it's tissue paper your excitement gradually turns to horror because DAMN that's a lot of gameplayments. How did you get so many anyway? Oh hell are you still hanging on to that old gameplayment you came up with in grade school?

And you realize that there's no way your game can hold all of these gameplayments. So everyone starts fighting and people are scurrying to put their favorite gameplayment up in a good spot. Some people, once they hang up their favorite gameplayments, kind of lose interest and after that they only sort of pretend to work on the game anymore, but really they're mostly watching TV.

But sure enough, little by little the game starts coming together and in the end you have a pretty nice little game, even though that one bit of graphics still doesn't flash right. Everyone is tired, but some people are very dedicated and start throwing tinsel on the game just to make sure it really sparkles. But then again, this can be nerve wracking because sometimes the tinsel is too much and gets all over everything and you can't really get it off again (sloppy tinsel is a real pain to clean up).

And there! Your game is done! Unfortunately every year some people put way too many lights on their game, or else they put it way too close to the fireplace, and it catches fire. And sometimes this can actually burn the whole house down! Also no amount of gameplayments and graphics can change the fact that your game is shaped a certain way because that's the one you picked out all the way back at the Home Depot. Like if there's a big hole on one side, and there are no branches to hang gameplayments on? You can't really fix that, but maybe you can turn it towards the wall or something.

But even if your game is not the perfect, ideal game shape, it is still precious to you and your family because of all the work that went into setting it up. And think of all the memories you made! And that's why every year you go pick out a new game and start all over again, even though you know decorating it is going to be frustrating and annoying. After all, in the end, it's worth it......... probably.

The End

I've worked in software testing and quality assurance for a number of years now and I can't imagine how frustrating it must be watching play testers try to figure out puzzles in an adventure game. Watching that little cursor go round and round the screen, touching and clicking on everything except what they need to solve the puzzle.

What I'm finding more and more incredible and just all around lovely about this game is how many people are getting involved out of love of the game, love of double fine, love of Tim's writing. How many people it's brought together. It's gonna be a game full of love and care and I am just getting more and more hyped as time goes on. This is not at all like watching sausage getting made.

I loved everything about this episode, most of all seeing Elijah Wood's contribution to the game. My respect for him has skyrocketed straight up, from Lord of the Rings to Wilfred to Broken Age.

I love these documentaries so much, and I'm starting to feel a little apprehensive about them ending once the game wraps up (presumably next year). I'm even thinking of holding off on playing Act I until both parts are complete.

It's amazing to think all of this started from Tim Schafer's notebook, not too long ago. I'm amazed by the collaborative process and all the hard work everyone has put into it (that scene with the animator of Merrick was heartbreaking!). I suppose what I'm trying to say is...you guys are awesome. :)

So good! Just watched episodes 10 through 12 for the first time yesterday, and now 13 comes right after. I'm so lucky. It's a Christmas miracle!

Loving the music, and Elijah Wood as Shay. Getting super excited about this game. Keep up the great work. Can't wait for the game.

Fantastic episode! It's like an early Christmas present. Also, for what its worth, I think there should be an alternate version where Marek is super chummy, over acts, and hug people constantly so that Dave's work wasn't all for not. :-P

Another fantabulous episode. I'm scared that since each episode raises the excitement level to a new level that once I play it I might become depressed and slip into a coma since other things in life just won't be as entertaining...probably not but still, this is gonna be great!

Dave really needs to save a render of that snappier animation, it was pretty awesome (easter egg?) but I think Tim was right with the acting choice when watching the scene.

I did have a question, and kind of a weird meta one: What effect is the documentary itself having on development? Like, if I were the artist who animated the entire Marek scene that had to be redone, I think I'd actually find some solace in knowing the backers saw it in the documentary (and Tim gave it such a great compliment) and just knowing that all my hard work wasn't wasted because of it. It's got to take some of the sting off. I imagine there's a number of other things that would be slightly different just because of the public nature of development, and I'd be interested in hearing more about that.

Absolutely love this, I would LOVE to see like a sidequest or something about this.

Everyone else has said it all, but this was just fantastic. The orchestra was BEAUTIFUL, the people working on this project are absolutely lovely, and I just can't get enough. Merry Christmas and happy new year guys, see you in 2014!

Listening to the music sessions, I got all giddy and couldn't stop grinning. It's just fantastic. It's also strange to think that all of those bits of instrumentation are...composed. Those complex interactions of melody and harmony and...whatnot don't just happen. It's easy enough to admire the artistry of the final product, but knowing that someone deliberately placed all those pieces is...inspiring.

I'm glad for Dave that his melodramatic Marek got into the documentary, because it is a really great piece of goofy animation, but I absolutely felt the disconnect between the character in Marek's voice and the character in Marek's performance.

I think it also highlights how much of themselves artists bring to their work. Dave justifies the style by suggesting that Marek is trying to convince Shay, and I can suddenly just SEE Dave acting that performance out trying to convince someone of something. (Which is easier because "VIDEO GAMES ARE NOT DEAD.") It's harder to imagine Dave as the coldly compelling and somewhat sinister Marek.

It seems like there'd be a utility in "character sheets" for animators as much as character artists. Examples of the "archetype" for a given character, if you will. (Is that a thing?)

What a great episode! It's awesome that the project has managed to draw upon some backers to become more than it would have been otherwise.

It sounds like the next few (and past few) weeks will be full of pressure. I hope that the team can draw upon the well wishes of the community - we all believe in you! That's why we're here <3

What a great episode. I really liked the orchestral music. Ohh, and Merry Christmas from a surprisingly green Sweden!

That composition. That music. And seeing Mr. McConnell react to the orchestra playing his work was just priceless. That breathless "perfect" was possibly one of the defining moments of this episode.

The Shellmound Battle piece reminds me a lot of classic SciFi. Equal parts Star Wars and Star Trek (TOS) fight Kirk vs Gorn fight scene. Also, Indiana Jones-ish a bit. And then towards the end it has that 'cliched' dramatic downward spiral of doom like something out of a Kaiju movie. Also, I get the Goonies bit and why it reminds that one person of it. It reminds me of the part where they're on the Pirate Ship. It also sort of has the feel of early Sci-Fi/Monster movies. I hope that made sense. I also hope it doesn't come off as diminishing Mr. McConnell's work as "references to all the things", because it isn't. I'm rambling.

Edit: I found the words for what I was trying to say above. The Shellmound Battle piece sounds iconic. It, in my mind, could/should/will be considered an iconic piece of music for this game, if not Double Fine as a whole.

Sign in to follow this