Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 13: Crash Landing a Plane

Also, random idea that if it could somehow be implemented might be cool: the repetitive sequence could have some kind of joke that shows up every time, or maybe subtly changes? A repeated gag would keep the repetitive nature of the scene intact (and still be appropriately frustrating) but would keep it entertaining while the player tries to break out of the loop.

I really like this idea!

Also, fantastic episode. The scene where Peter is listening to the orchestra and closing his eyes is pure art. I really appreciated the in-depth discussions about animation, compositions, re painting backgrounds, play testing... This is the kind of insight you don't get anywhere else in documentaries.

I love how you spent so much time videotaping that awesome whiteboard of Act II and yet mosaic'd the hell out of it the whole time =P

Great job guys and Grats on bagging Elijah for Shay. he sounds awesome!

Love how so many people enter the project appearing somewhat mute and shy, and then show more personality every new episode. This whole project is so freaking inspiring.

Also, random idea that if it could somehow be implemented might be cool: the repetitive sequence could have some kind of joke that shows up every time, or maybe subtly changes? A repeated gag would keep the repetitive nature of the scene intact (and still be appropriately frustrating) but would keep it entertaining while the player tries to break out of the loop.

Great,

I for instance loved Olivia's random poems in Grim Fandango.

How about a tile with randomly changing old Chinese sayings about space and cosmology?

Wow, this episode was really worth the wait. MSO and Peter, if you don't get an Oscar, I'm boycotting them next year. It's been so hard to tell people what this project is about if they haven't played adventure games before. But I think Broken Age will speak entirely for itself.

I can't wait to rewatch every episode again on DVD, binge-style like I did LOST.

Great work Double-Fine.

MSO and Peter, if you don't get an Oscar, I'm boycotting them next year.
Unless McConnell and MSO are also working on a film score, then you best get your Boycotting Pants ready. Perhaps you might want to root for them in the BAFTAs or at the D.I.C.E. Awards? ;-p

I work at an e-commerce company as their creative director, and seeing the scene with Tim and Dave talking about Marek's animations was all too familiar and tough to watch. Someone might do something that is really good and artistically intact but is just wrong for the project. So you try to first tell them that gently and feel out how you're going to tell them, and when they keep pushing and you see you just need to stop and move forward, you do have to make that slight attitude turn that Tim does. It's always awkward, but you have to hope they can see it from your point of view at the end of the day.

a director has to direct. you should know.

Yes, but a director also has to know their people and understand how to get the best out of their team, which is exactly how Tim is directing this game. Some people need to be directed all day everyday, while others you can just give them a vague idea of what you need them to do, then you check in periodically to make sure its on track. Dave is obviously part of the latter group and must have a great track record of producing awesome stuff otherwise he wouldn't have been given so much freedom in the first place. And while sometimes it can backfire and result in stuff having to be reworked, giving freedom can result in some truly awesome stuff that you may never get if the director is too involved down at the lower level.

It is so easy to get sucked into micromanaging the whole project, and that is a really bad thing, especially on a large software project. You need to trust your people and leave them to do their work so you can get on with your own work, otherwise you end up duplicating effort in places you didn't need to be, and then you fall behind on what you were supposed to be doing.

Yes, but a director also has to know their people and understand how to get the best out of their team, which is exactly how Tim is directing this game. Some people need to be directed all day everyday, while others you can just give them a vague idea of what you need them to do, then you check in periodically to make sure its on track. Dave is obviously part of the latter group and must have a great track record of producing awesome stuff otherwise he wouldn't have been given so much freedom in the first place. And while sometimes it can backfire and result in stuff having to be reworked, giving freedom can result in some truly awesome stuff that you may never get if the director is too involved down at the lower level.

It is so easy to get sucked into micromanaging the whole project, and that is a really bad thing, especially on a large software project. You need to trust your people and leave them to do their work so you can get on with your own work, otherwise you end up duplicating effort in places you didn't need to be, and then you fall behind on what you were supposed to be doing.

Well put!

If you have a clear vision of what you're after though, it's still very important and worthwhile to communicate that to the people doing the action work. It's equally easy to wind up with immense time losses when your team isn't on the same wavelength, and as a director, you really only have yourself to blame when that happens.

There's a pretty broad spectrum of what works and what doesn't work. The extremes (micromanaging vs letting your team work without direction) seem to only work when everybody involved already has a synergistic working relationship, IMO. Communication is not only the best way to work without that, but it's also the best way to build that.

What a great episode :) . It was so long yet it felt so short.

Ditto!

Haha Chris Remo, you're still using the ''Cloud to Butt' plugin?

shiiiiiiiiiiit.

It also says "my butt colony" in the episode notes at http://www.doublefine.com/dfa/content/episode_13_crash_landing_a_plane/. I was wondering if that was a new game area, haha.

Still there lol :D

I hope Tim remembered to call Majus.

He did!

How did I miss that?? D:

The Orchestra blew my mind! It's one in the morning here and I'm watching with my headphones on and giggling so loud I woke up my wife!

Wife: What in the hell is so funny?

Me: Honey! Honey, you have to listen to this. (Rewinds video and unplugs headset) This is awesome! (plays section with the score)

Wife: (Tired and disgruntled) That's nice dear. Tomorrow's Christmas, and the kids are going to be up early so don't stay up too late.

Some people just don't get it.

You're a good man.

There's a pretty broad spectrum of what works and what doesn't work. The extremes (micromanaging vs letting your team work without direction) seem to only work when everybody involved already has a synergistic working relationship, IMO. Communication is not only the best way to work without that, but it's also the best way to build that.

That is exactly right, and from what I've seen in the documentary so far the team has a great synergistic working relationship. It's also why Dave has been given opportunities to animate based on his interpretation of Tim's vision - he is obviously a trusted senior animator. For this one scene where it didn't quite work, he's probably produced a dozen more that work exactly how Tim wanted it to work. But then, we are only seeing this project through the lens of a camera, 30-50 minute at a time.

Really enjoyed this episode's in-depth look at animation, sound design and the feedback sessions! The audio team already proved with Amnesia Fortnight that they are "the bomb", so no need to write that down on a whiteboard. I'd love to see a sidequest with Camden or Brian about their take on good sound design. It can be really effective to draw the player into the game. I like to think that this was a big part of what made the prototype of Black Lake (Amnesia Fortnight 2012) already a quite powerful experience.

It was also funny to see everyone point out Cloud Colony Main as the area that still needed a lot of polish. I've never been a big fan of the area, but really liked the improved look of Meriloft in the screenshots last month. It was interesting to hear Bagel point out why it didn't work as well as it should.

Ever since Grim Fandango I've dreamed of a new adventure game from Tim Schafer with similar high production values. It's awesome to see that with all the love that this game is receiving from both within Double Fine and outside it (Elijah Wood! Melbourne Symphony Orchestra!), this dream is finally starting to become reality. Tim Schafer truly is an expediter of dreams!

Wow, what a fantastic episode!! In a strangely reversed order I first read a lot of the comments, then viewed the documentary. I can only agree with what people already posted about the MSO-footage: great piece of music, haunting, tense, exciting, I had chills and goosebumps all over! What an impact and that even whithout the accompanying gamescenes.

Ever since Grim Fandango I've dreamed of a new adventure game from Tim Schafer with similar high production values. It's awesome to see that with all the love that this game is receiving from both within Double Fine and outside it (Elijah Wood! Melbourne Symphony Orchestra!), this dream is finally starting to become reality.

Yes, the involvement of people from all over the world also struck me this episode. Of course, I should know already because of the realisation of the project itself (enthusiastic backers and such ;)). But is so fun to hear from that guy from the orchestra for example, how much he loved to play adventure games as a kid, even acting it out with friends... And now he contributes with the music, Elijah with his voice and all of it is going to result in a fantastic adventure game!

It will be weird to be able to play it not too long from now, the result of all the hard work of the DF-team this year... Thanks a lot you guys, and of course a huge thanks to 2 Player Productions as well for another beautiful episode! :)

p.s. Anyone else freaked out by the sacrifice monster?

I predict a Sacrifice Monster plush in the DF Store at some point.

I predict a Sacrifice Monster plush in the DF Store at some point.

Next game will be a Mog Chothra origins story.

What an exciting episode! I love how you captured the anticipation of the looming deadline and the amazing performance of the symphony orchestra. Great job!

Finally got around to watch the episdes 12 and 13 and I have to say I can't wait for the 14th!

So far the game surpassed everything I imagined it to be when I backed it...and it isn't even out yet!

The last 22 months where a great trip and I don't want it to end. Well... at some point maybe...but not right now!

Anyone know what USB / MIDI keyboard is seen during the audio recording scenes?
I don't know the first thing about MIDI hardware, but if you're talking about the one at 18:23, then after a brief Google Image search (for USB MIDI keyboard), I believe that's an M-AUDIO Keystation 49es MK2.

Anyone else getting a "sorry but the creator of this video has not given you permission to view this from this domain" or am I just "Special"?

Anyone else getting a "sorry but the creator of this video has not given you permission to view this from this domain" or am I just "Special"?

Try a different browser, or disable addons that block/change certain web elements (such as ad blockers or javascript blockers).

You can also try using the link below the video to use the other player.

i think tim made a good call for the sequence, even before he mentioned how he felt, it was so bouncy to me and over acted especially for the more subtle movements... thats a hell of a long sequence though...and not necessarily something that is solved by just removing certain acting moments.

Not a fan of the actor playing Marek. He's basically putting on a fake menacing voice. It's way too forced.

This is what happens when things are taken out of context. How about we wait and see the final product? As an observer, I love seeing the game's building blocks coming together, iteratively, formulating the vision with greater and greater precision with every pass. Truly inspiring.

Sign in to follow this