Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 13: Crash Landing a Plane

Not a fan of the actor playing Marek. He's basically putting on a fake menacing voice. It's way too forced.

This is what happens when things are taken out of context. How about we wait and see the final product? As an observer, I love seeing the game's building blocks coming together, iteratively, formulating the vision with greater and greater precision with every pass. Truly inspiring.

Or an actor doing a fake menacing voice is nothing more than .... an actor doing a fake menacing voice. Lets take your clearly enlightened way of doing things which is basically to want no criticism of any product until it's finished. If we take this Broken Age game for example, I would imagine the vast majority of the people working on it only have an extremely narrative view of the whole thing. Do you think the small minority of staff who are seeing the bigger picture want no criticism of the game being made? I actually think it's the complete opposite. Quite often the only way good products become good is because of the avalanche of critical evaluation they get whilst being made.

Not a fan of the actor playing Marek. He's basically putting on a fake menacing voice. It's way too forced.

This is what happens when things are taken out of context. How about we wait and see the final product? As an observer, I love seeing the game's building blocks coming together, iteratively, formulating the vision with greater and greater precision with every pass. Truly inspiring.

Or an actor doing a fake menacing voice is nothing more than .... an actor doing a fake menacing voice. Lets take your clearly enlightened way of doing things which is basically to want no criticism of any product until it's finished. If we take this Broken Age game for example, I would imagine the vast majority of the people working on it only have an extremely narrative view of the whole thing. Do you think the small minority of staff who are seeing the bigger picture want no criticism of the game being made? I actually think it's the complete opposite. Quite often the only way good products become good is because of the avalanche of critical evaluation they get whilst being made.

Well, at this point all voice has been recorded and it's close to beta, so your criticism actually comes after it was made (we heard his voice way before this episode). So I also think it will be better to view it in the game context and then judge a specific performance. Given that they can't change this at this point, I believe the developers would prefer it that way as well, although I'm sure your concern has been noted.

By the way, personally, I didn't feel like it was forced, but I also prefer not to think about it too much at this point and get the full experience.

From the few snippets we heard in episode 12, I think the wolf sounds very nice and creepy. I have pretty high expectations for the character based on the performance so far.

Good work Double Fine! And I mean that.

i've been a backer from the beginning but I was only moderately interested in the project and thought this would be a fun, kooky idea and something to connect to my teenage years but nothing special. And honestly watching all the episodes up to current I’ve maintained this thought. However watching this episode, experiencing the ‘love’ and dedication of the people involved I now see this as something special, really something special. I’m really looking forward to playing this game.

And props to the Melbourne symphony orchestra for getting the gig for music. Aussie pride.

Another truly fantastic episode. I'm so excited about that music and the voice acting.

I LOVE his voice.

I LOVE his voice.

Yeah, I think the vast majority of people were blown away by how awesome he makes the character.

Just have to say this was a fantastic episode. Awesome work by 2PP, particularly showing Peter listening to the orchestra play his music. That was a wonderful sequence. The music sounds incredible and it was great to see Melbourne was involved! There are a lot of old school adventure game fans in Australia and you never know what position they end up in! Can't wait to play the game now.

I love his voice too, but agree that animation didn't portray him the way I was expecting. I imagined him standing relatively still/calm, sometimes slowly stalking around the room, darting his eyes around like sharp parry knives cutting delicately into the flesh of ripe tomatoes, watching the guts ooze out, tickling some dark twisted fetish, etc...

Is this maybe one small danger of using scratch dialog for too long? Getting too influenced by it, perhaps?

I was also wondering, I imagine the MSO practiced the music before recording, right? How much time do folks like that put into it before it goes on tape? It kinda looked as if they were given the sheet music and sight-read on-the-spot. I'd be interested to know how much music was done in MSO versus other performers/locations. There is now more than 1 hours-worth of music, right?

lol, as you can see I'm interested in knowing more about the music. It's also a big influence on how much I enjoy a game.

Keep up the good work, DF!

I was also wondering, I imagine the MSO practiced the music before recording, right? How much time do folks like that put into it before it goes on tape? It kinda looked as if they were given the sheet music and sight-read on-the-spot. I'd be interested to know how much music was done in MSO versus other performers/locations. There is now more than 1 hours-worth of music, right?

lol, as you can see I'm interested in knowing more about the music. It's also a big influence on how much I enjoy a game.

Keep up the good work, DF!

It would depend a lot on the orchestra, their schedule, the music itself, the purpose of the session as to how much practice goes into it. Generally full time orchestra musicians are incredible sight readers, but that won't compensate for the ability to play as a team, which is why you have the conductor there whose main job is to bring the whole thing into one cohesive performance.

It wouldn't surprise me if the orchestra had very little practice time for this, although it's certainly true that for major performances or for work which has a lot of technical complexity there will be rehearsal time factored in. I'm not sure how long the musicians would have got the music in advance, if at all though. But it could be that they just got it a week before with all the other music they were doing that week and maybe only had time to skim it for tricky bits - though I'm just guessing there. I'd be interested to know too.

Sadly I've never been able to work with an orchestra and rely on as many high quality samples as I can afford.

this is lordly

I hope you pump out the public alpha in waves like Dota 2 did it. randomly pick groups of 1000 backers at a time or whatever and put it out in waves so you can have a steady stream of testing, do some changes, then throw in another wave to see how their initial impressions are. Would be awesome! :D Please do it this way so when the large chunk of people who backed get to play they have a better chance of playing something awesome and there is a lower chance of a disaster of a launch.

Loved how you guys looked into the sound stuff because the music in Broken Age is like a film score definitely a complete contrast to Nintendo music which are more like jazz standards. I'm looking forward to seeing if there are any ways to interact with the music and sound but either way it is nice to see that it is possible to have so many different sounding games. I don't know what I'm saying, its just nice to see that not every game score needs to be full of melodic tunes, and can have a real awesome orchestra and music written for it instead of an orchestra playing game music like Nintendo tends to do. Very well done! :D

This documentary is so good... I nominate it for an Emmy. (FYI... I can't actually do that. But someone from Double Player should get on that process... it deserves one!)

It kinda looked as if they were given the sheet music and sight-read on-the-spot.

I really doubt that. Ideally they'd want to (after some practises) play the piece right through and get feedback from whats-his-name the composer about speed/volume/things that he thinks should be done differently. And do this more than once before they final recording.

I don't know that this is what they did, but if they're going to the effort of playing this piece then I'm sure they'd try and do it properly.

I was also wondering, I imagine the MSO practiced the music before recording, right? How much time do folks like that put into it before it goes on tape? It kinda looked as if they were given the sheet music and sight-read on-the-spot. I'd be interested to know how much music was done in MSO versus other performers/locations.
I don't know about MSO in particular, but I have worked behind the scenes setting up for an orchestra recoding. They got the score well in advance, but do very little practice as a group. Each musician has their own score and some conductors notes, and then they practice it a lot. (Most orchestra pros do 4 hours minimum a day, on top of the actual paying stuff.) Then they'd show up for the recording session which is the first time as a group. However, there is an assumption that the first few 'takes' won't be good enough, they just record anyway. When I did it we always did two days of recording, with a couple of days in between to work on things the conductor pointed out. I don't think anything from the first day actually got used in the final since it wasn't that good (but I can't be sure, I didn't mix it).

It wouldn't surprise me if the orchestra had very little practice time for this, although it's certainly true that for major performances or for work which has a lot of technical complexity there will be rehearsal time factored in.

Yeah, session musicians of this calibre will play a piece almost perfectly at first sight. It's kind of a job requirement. :)

Music and everything else is amazing, I can't criticise how excellent this episode is.

But I'm literally just now up to the scene with Merrick's introduction and this (in the picture) really bothers me. I know animation is going to get fixed and everything, and this action probably won't even be in the game now but nobody mentioned how wrong this looks...

BrokenAge_BrokenAnimation.jpg

BrokenAge_BrokenAnimation.jpg.c1094daa11

But I'm literally just now up to the scene with Merrick's introduction and this (in the picture) really bothers me. I know animation is going to get fixed and everything, and this action probably won't even be in the game now but nobody mentioned how wrong this looks...

Wasn't that entire section about Tim saying Merrick's animation was wrong and had to be completely redone? I'm pretty sure he explicitly called out that shot.

Edit: just rewatched it. Tim doesn't mention that shot in particular, but pointing to the specific shot does seem redundant when the feedback is to remove the action altogether. And really, I think the reason the shot looks wrong is that it's out of character for Merrick.

Music and everything else is amazing, I can't criticise how excellent this episode is.

The reason nobody mentioned it is that that wasn't finished animation, it was just the first draft to get feedback on. As they mentioned in the doc, after the animation team have done the first part, the external studio does a polish pass on all the animation, or they'll do it in-house. They'd want to show it to Tim before putting the final polish on the animation (which as we know in this case the feed back was 'do it over')

It seems likely that if they'd gone with this version, that's the sort of thing that gets fixed in polish, since it's just a layering issue.

The reason nobody mentioned it is that that wasn't finished animation, it was just the first draft to get feedback on. As they mentioned in the doc, after the animation team have done the first part, the external studio does a polish pass on all the animation, or they'll do it in-house. They'd want to show it to Tim before putting the final polish on the animation (which as we know in this case the feed back was 'do it over')

It seems likely that if they'd gone with this version, that's the sort of thing that gets fixed in polish, since it's just a layering issue.

Cheers for clearing that up, it's just little niggles like that which stand out and make the experience far less immersive. It's got nothing to do with the quality of graphics but rather things that look like really obvious mistakes...

Finally managed to find some time to sit down a spell and watch this. Great episode as always. Looking forward to playing the Act 1 in the nearish future!

Smiles

As a software developer, I know that a public beta by the 15th means actually sometime by the 30th. So, ready for the 30th :)

I'd be surprised if they delayed it any more than a couple of days, based on how this whole release came about.

Is this Renaud Bédard at 12:09? (He's the programmer behind the wonderful FEZ and was featured in Indie Game: The Movie.)

Phil Fish was DJ at Double Fine's Day of the Devs, and FEZ 2 is cancelled, which would seem to leave an opening for Renaud to collaborate with Double Fine, but... no. I don't believe it is him.

Wow, I just watched this. Totally blown away.

Two notes: First, I didn't dare get my hopes up for an orchestral score, given how few symphony orchestras there actually are in the US. Hearing now what DF and friends came up with together with the Melbourne SO, I am impressed beyond words.

Second, 2PP spoke about not liking to break the fourth wall during the documentary about the launch. At that time I though "It's not that big of a deal to do that occasionally, especially on a project like this". However, on today's episode, until the (awesome) soundtrack faded in again at the end, I had actually repeatedly forgotten that I was watching a documentary, by an external team no less. I just felt completely immersed into the creative process at DF. I love the framing of the episodes with 2PP's imagery and sound track, and they are an integral part of the documentary for me. But this time it really dawned on me how good the 2PP team has become at now disturbing the very thing they are trying to capture. Bob was there, too. ^^

So big kudos to MSO, to DF for keeping strongly committed to this crazy project, and to 2PP for letting us really be a part of it.

So big kudos to MSO, to DF for keeping strongly committed to this crazy project, and to 2PP for letting us really be a part of it.

That, all of that really - but seriously - that was my thoughts exactly! No end of praise for 2PP, they're just brilliant at making you feel like you're part of it. =)

Felt for Dave during the whole animation discussion, totally get where Tim is coming from though. I've made the same mistake as Dave on many projects in the past, getting tunnel vision on something I thought was great (and it was in isolation) but didn't quite gel with the whole. Also - LOVE these updates! I can't wait to go back and watch them all after i've played through the game. Agree with the other posts about how much you feel a part of this whole process because of the documentary - 2PP, you rock! Would be amazing to spend a week at double fine to try and learn a bit from these guys - must be amazing to work with people who all are super passionate about making something great, not just getting something out the door.

Finally got around to watching the video. Looks like the game is ready to be played. I've never tried playing an alpha or beta version of a game so this should be interesting.

With a little bit of retrospective, might I say that I think this is the best episode to date?

The only single moment that could top it all is probably the trailer reveal.

Sign in to follow this