Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 13: Crash Landing a Plane

Levi: "That's what they'll play when we get Game of the Year!"

Fucking A, man.

Ha Ha! Woo Hoo!

Music and everything else is amazing, I can't criticise how excellent this episode is.

But I'm literally just now up to the scene with Merrick's introduction and this (in the picture) really bothers me. I know animation is going to get fixed and everything, and this action probably won't even be in the game now but nobody mentioned how wrong this looks...

I was actually wondering HOW COULD they fix that?

As far as i know from some adventure game engines, an actor can be in front of / behind another object depending on specific regions or a script.

but the WHOLE object, not just part of it.

In order to have his arm around his neck, part of the arm needs to be behind the boy and part of it needs to be in front of the boy (the hand).

is this even possible with the broken age engine?

BrokenAge_BrokenAnimation.jpg

BrokenAge_BrokenAnimation.jpg.4c20ed1f5e

Music and everything else is amazing, I can't criticise how excellent this episode is.

But I'm literally just now up to the scene with Merrick's introduction and this (in the picture) really bothers me. I know animation is going to get fixed and everything, and this action probably won't even be in the game now but nobody mentioned how wrong this looks...

As far as i know from some adventure game engines, an actor can be in front of / behind another object depending on specific regions or a script.

In order to have his arm around his neck, part of the arm needs to be behind the boy and part of it needs to be in front of the boy (the hand).

Yeh i was doing some animation in flash recently and had this exact kind of problem. I'm thinking that since it is still technically "3D" animation - just limited to 2 planes - there may be a way around it? - or maybe even just for a few frames hide the forearm of the main rig and add in a duplicate at the correct depth? Totally unaware of any engine limitations though..

Awesome episode. Can't wait to see the Beta.

That music is fantastic! When I saw it was being played by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra my national pride went psycho! Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Awesome episode. Can't wait to see the Beta.

That music is fantastic! When I saw it was being played by the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra my national pride went psycho! Aussie Aussie Aussie!

Oi! Oi! Oi!

Yes, we can fix this. In a cutscene we have a flag that enables "micro sorting" between parts of two actors. So touching is allowed!

Yes, we can fix this. In a cutscene we have a flag that enables "micro sorting" between parts of two actors. So touching is allowed!

I'm all for touching.

Smiles

ah cool thanks lee :)

Wow! Many thanks for the response! The engine created is amazing!

Wow! Many thanks for the response! The toolset created is amazing!

Important to differentiate. :P

omg I just found out I didn't see this last episode! Finished watching it just a second ago, and it was just awesome! ...and it fixed my day! I was empty just an hour ago but watching this it filled up my tanks with creative forces again : ) I wanted to say I'm so excited about the orchestrated music in the game, but I find I'm as much excited about every other part of creation of this game. So the excitement is not just a big +1 here, it's more like +X:D

I thought it was awesome that you used Melbourne Symphony Orchestra for the music! Us Aussies are helping out! :)

Also, Levi has the same birthday as me (Jan 14) so it will be a great birthday present from you Double Fine (although it'll be Jan 15 in Australia).

Currently watching: Breaking Bad

Currently playing: Dishonored

Currently reading: Every Man in the Village is a Liar

You're one hell of a multitasker, dude ;) No music running in the background though?

I finally set aside time to watch this episode. The part with the orchestra, with the composer listening on the other side of the world, was sincerely moving. That was some damn fine editing.

I finally had time to watch the last three episodes tonight, and it's rekindled my excitement for the release on the 14th. I've really appreciated this glimpse in to all your work over the past year. This whole thing has given me an insight and newfound respect for the development process and getting to witness the passion you guys have for your work has all just been a little bit lovely...

To see how other fans from around the world have stepped in to contribute towards make this game even better is just awesome. Extra thanks to the MSO and Elijah for adding to the project, and for the entire crew at Double Fine for working extra hours to see this first half to completion and to 2PP for making some really well put together docu's.

Seeing and hearing scenes breath with life and sound brought me right back to when I played Grim Fandango for the first time and got truly lost in a strange and wonderful world. I look forward to spending time in this new world as much as I feel homesick for The Land of the Dead.

Thaaaaaaanks,

PS: The whole 'my butt colony' thing was hilarious.

I read about that in a few comments but I didn't get what it was about exactly. Why would anyone have a browser plugin that replaces "cloud" with "my butt"? FF7 hate?

Small question.. I was rewatching Episode 11, and there was a discussion between Brian Min and Peter McConnell about the music (stretching/filling) the score and how they should work together, but it wasn't discussed how they solved it in the later episodes. Can anyone comment on how you solved that?

I'm now really regretting not getting the score and the blu-ray documentary...

I read about that in a few comments but I didn't get what it was about exactly. Why would anyone have a browser plugin that replaces "cloud" with "my butt"? FF7 hate?

As far as I recall, the cloud that plugin was made in response to was the cloud computing or cloud storage sort of cloud.

As far as I recall, the cloud that plugin was made in response to was the cloud computing or cloud storage sort of cloud.

*lol* Well that makes sense actually :) Thanks!

Damn I got goose bumps when the Maestro McConell listened to the orchestra play his stuff for the first time... omg what a genius composer.

Been reading the KS posts as they come so the announcements weren't entirely a surprise but it was still exciting to see Elijah do a recording. Watching the MSO play McConnell's score was amazing! Yay Melbourne!

Happy Birthday Levi!

Onto the game! Excitement, gonna burst!

Plane succesfully landed! :-D

I liked the frustration of the heroic missions. At some point I realized that it was the perfect metaphor for most AAA games these days. Repetitive and trying to spoon-feed the solution to the player.

Sorry if it has been answered. Any word on when we will receive the disc based documentary?

Sorry if it has been answered. Any word on when we will receive the disc based documentary?

I seriously hope the documentary isn't finished until Act 2 is out?!! I hope we get more episodes during the creation of Act 2.

I seriously hope the documentary isn't finished until Act 2 is out?!! I hope we get more episodes during the creation of Act 2.

You hope has been fulfilled! 2PP already said they'll continue the documentary throughout Act 2. Episode 15 was also said it will contain spoilers for Act 1 (I assume episode 14 is almost done from filming point of view and that's why that was not mentioned as the spoileree episode)

Sign in to follow this