Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Right Said Brett

Doctor Who. "Who?" You Say. A Doctor Who is New, That's Who. A Regeneration to the Old Generation (could this title be any more convoluted?!)

DISCLAIMER: The following post was composed by a completely drunken buffoon. Please excuse any grammatical errors and the rancid stench of several bottles of cheap booze and cigarettes that are virtually emanating from your computer screen.

So, here I am; typing on my keyboard, drunk out of my gourd on Christmas Day, having consumed two and a half bottles of wine. So what?! I'm supposedly giving up alcohol and yet here I am "pissed" like the proverbial skunk out of my small mind on happy juice, (I don't know why I put the word "pissed" in inverted commas, considering the fact that by all accounts of reasonable judgment; I am completely and utterly soused) posting on a forum like some kind of drunken marmot (that is, if such a thing as a drunken marmot exists and if it does, I wanna see it on YouTube; along with the billions of other "hilarious" videos involving animals performing typically human behavioral patterns... that "hilarious" definitively warranted the inverted commas). I don't care that I'm drunk (of course I don't, I'm drunk); it's Christmas. Also, it's my party and I'll cry if I want to (and swing from the chandelier, crapping on the inferior humans gathered below me, gazing up at me with disgusted eyes).

Um, anyway... I just watched 'Doctor Who' for the first time in many a month because it's (hushed, revered silence please); the regeneration of the Doctor. Which is a big deal if you're:

a/ British

b/ A fan of lite-science-fiction/fantasy

c/ A nerd of the highest calibre

... Seeming as I'm all three of the above, I turned in. So what did I think? Was it a worthy episode? Did the new Doctor come across well? More importantly; why in the name of sanity am I asking myself questions that I already know the answer to?!

Before I answer those questions for the interest of no-one, allow me to say this; I hate 'Doctor Who'! Well, perhaps not "hate"; that's a strong word. I mean, I hate racists, I hate sexists, I hate running out of toilet paper after taking a massive crap but I certainly do have a sizable disdain for the undue level of praise that 'Doctor Who' has received these last few years.

Like any other Westerner with a pulse, I watched the initial revival of 'Doctor Who' (the one with the jug eared Northerner, Christopher Eccleston) and like most people with good taste (i.e. the same taste as me), I found it to be a thoroughly entertaining show. Then "Mr. You Might Have Seen Me in '28 Days Later'" regenerated as David Tennant. Okay, you're gonna hate me now, buuuuttttttt (that's an elongated "but", not "butt")... I thought Tennant's performance robbed the Doctor's personality of any element of fear, anxiety, or frankly; a reason to watch the show.

So, on a rare occasion, when I fancied the idea of torturing my poor brain with badly written, camp nonsense (in this case, camp = over the top music where none is needed. Honestly, this show could have the Doctor taking a dump and there would be a 30 piece orchestra accompanying his every squeeze)., I would watch an episode or two just to remind myself why I had stopped watching in the first place. Years went by; I got older, I got fatter but the show stayed frozen in time; its same insipid self. Then a new regeneration was touted and eventually scheduled; a new Doctor; a new beginning; a new hope. I tuned in and (baited breath)…

Matt Smith played his Doctor exactly the same as David Tennant had (I'm sure some of you geeks out there will argue this point but don't bother; I'm right and you're wrong and I'm not in the least bit arrogant or condescending. So there). At this point, I would like to go outside to pour myself another glass and smoke a cigarette, so I’ll wrap up quickly…

I watched tonight’s episode; it was mediocre at best but at least it’s wasn’t overly camp. Also, it didn’t feature a flying shark, carrying a sleigh (man, do I feel dumber for having even typed that sentence), like a couple of Christmas’ ago but you know what? It wasn’t half bad! More importantly than any of this we got a glimpse of the new Doctor, the brilliant actor Peter Capaldi during the last minute of the show.

I welcome this change. I embrace a new but older Doctor (an acknowledgment goes out towards the first Doctor, William Hartnell at this point). A good story relies on a good script and I don’t know if I have faith in such a thing at this point but I do have faith in Mr. Capaldi to deliver the goods; the darkness, the sternness, the grumpiness.

Bring it on, I say.

Honestly... I tend to agree with you on a lot of the points you make, Davies. I was never the biggest fan of Tennant, especially when he's in his "Oh hell-LO, I'm the Doctor!" states (I like him a lot more when he's being quieter and more sombre), and was rather let-down when I realized Matt Smith was doing something very similar, although I'll admit to liking Smith as a person a lot more than Tennant.

But as you say, an actor can only work with the scripts he's given, and the scripts have been... mixed. I've long come to the conclusion that New-Who simply isn't what I want it to be, because what I want it to be is what OLD Who was - fun. Well written, imaginative, not always fast paced FUN.

And Doctor Who hasn't been that for quite a while. Now it's just a show where THINGS happen. Oh, there's an Ice Warrior on a sub. Oh, there's three Doctors. Oh, it's a pirate story with a stupid sci-fi twist. Oh, it's a Christmas Carol with an Opera singer in it. And OH ZOD, the over-arching plots. Do NOT get me started on the overarching plots.

Actually, let's talk about the over-arching plots. I hate them. I despise them. I want them taken out back, sodomised with a fired-up chainsaw and then shot in the balls. Because now we can't even have a show where things happen, now we have to have a show where things happen THAT SOMEHOW ADVANCE THE OVER-ARCHING F**KING PLOT. And they're always disappointing. They never really make any sense, they never tie up anything and all they do is get abandoned in favour of new ones so we can reference the old ones at a later date. Maybe.

I really, REALLY hope that with Peter Capaldi comes a new focus for the show. One that's not obsessed with wibbly wobbly labyrinthian plots and actors behaving like big kids all the bloody time and overcomplicated twists that never justify the buildup. I just want a show that's FUN again.

Please..?

There will probably be an over-arching plot with Capaldi...

They've already introduced the whole 'Gallifrey lives' thing and they will probably be continuing that into the new season...

I'm just hoping that they keep that to that Season Finale instead and don't end every episode with Capaldi looking inquisitively at a picture of Gallifrey wondering if he will ever find it like they did with the Doctor's death all the way through season 6...

I loved season 5 through 6 but they would have been a lot better if they had not ended every episode with Cracks in the wall, 'Is Amy Pregnant?' or ' The Doctor is going to die' and let the episodes speak for themselves

Honestly... I tend to agree with you on a lot of the points you make, Davies. I was never the biggest fan of Tennant, especially when he's in his "Oh hell-LO, I'm the Doctor!" states (I like him a lot more when he's being quieter and more sombre)

Absolutely. Do you remember that Eccleston episode, where the Doctor came face to face with a dalek for the first time in donkey's years? He was completely terrified and rightly so. Once he had regenerated, he had lost that fear and the show suffered for it. I'm exagerating here but his attitude was akin to; "Ohhhh, the daleks! I love these guys!"

rather let-down when I realized Matt Smith was doing something very similar, although I'll admit to liking Smith as a person a lot more than Tennant.

No arguments here, in as far as much that Tennant and Smith are likable people and all round engaging personas. It's their approach to the character of the Doctor that I take issue with. Not in terms of their personalities changing from regeneration-to-regeneration but in terms of conveying an interesting and non-one-dimensional character. The greatest characters in cinema (and indeed TV) are those that are fallible. Indiana Jones is a great example of this archetype (though, perhaps not in the 4th movie).

And Doctor Who hasn't been that for quite a while. Now it's just a show where THINGS happen. Oh, there's an Ice Warrior on a sub. Oh, there's three Doctors. Oh, it's a pirate story with a stupid sci-fi twist. Oh, it's a Christmas Carol with an Opera singer in it. And OH ZOD, the over-arching plots. Do NOT get me started on the overarching plots.

What more can I add to this, other than to say "I agree".

I really, REALLY hope that with Peter Capaldi comes a new focus for the show. One that's not obsessed with wibbly wobbly labyrinthian plots and actors behaving like big kids all the bloody time and overcomplicated twists that never justify the buildup. I just want a show that's FUN again.

Please..?

One can only hope, fruitless as it is. For 'Doctor Who' to truly work, it would require a total overhaul, not merely a change of actors. At this point, I'm doing the only thing one can do; hoping for an elevation to the level of 'adequate'.

Tennant had some of the best Who episodes. Not just Blink (though he was barely in it), but Midnight, which was pretty much all him. I enjoyed the RTD era because no punches were pulled, though the season finales always were kinda over the top. I agree with the overarching plots, though. I mean, I love a good overarching plot with a cool payoff... but none of these recent ones fit that category. I liked it better when you only realized there was an overarching plot after you got to the finale instead of spelling it out for you in episode one. Like, wouldn't it be cool, for once, to have a bunch of seemingly unrelated episodes that fit together into something cool? I think it would.

The problem, if I had to put my finger on it, is that Moffat is writing this for the kids. He's always talking about kids. Every interview. Every time he talks about plans for the show. It's just kids, kids, kids. And he's dumbing the plots down so the kids will understand, getting rid of the misery so the kids won't be upset, coming up with ridiculous ideas that the kids think are cool. Which just proves that catering to kids ruins things. Kids are smart, they're tough. They can take a bit of sadness, a punch to the kidneys, they can figure out a plotline that isn't explicitly spelled out for them. That's what parents are for, to explain shit if their kid doesn't get it.

Tennant had some of the best Who episodes. Not just Blink (though he was barely in it), but Midnight, which was pretty much all him.
Yeah, fair enough. When the writing let him really act, he was great. The examples you mention are good ones, but my favourite's probably The Family of Blood, which was an outstanding story that actually let the man ACT rather than force him to be a big kid all the time.
The problem, if I had to put my finger on it, is that Moffat is writing this for the kids.
Oh my Zod, you're right! He DOES! Gah, I've been trying to put into words why I've not been such a fan of the show since he took over and... yeah, that sums it up PERFECTLY.

Seems like it might work better without the jacket buttoned. Might look fine in motion though. Overall it seems good

I thought this was the Doctor Who thread thats why I posted here:P

No, this is a zygon thread pretending to be the newly regenerated doctor who thread...

Sign in to follow this