Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club Survey (End of 2013 Edition)

G’day all

It's the end of another year! It's been fantastic to see Game Club grow and share and talk about some fantastic games with you all!

To get a better understanding for how people have enjoyed Game Club, and to get some thoughts about how we might approach 2014, we'd like to invite everybody to share their thoughts on what we've done so far and their ideas on where we could go moving forward.

A big thanks to everybody who joined us last year, and thanks especially to Greg, Chris, Syd, Permafry, Fireflower, Mimness, lietu, jfrisby, Alphatt and everybody else who has helped organise and run Game Club :D

A most extra big thank you to all the special guests who've joined us in 2013, including Josh Mandel, Ben Ward, Dan Marshall, Ron Gilbert, Jake Rodkin, Brian Moriarty, Chris Remo, Daniel Herrera, Jake Elliot, Tamas Kemenczy, Ben Babbit, Marco Rosenberg, Tasha Haris, Gabe Miller, Anna Kipnis, Mark Hamer, David Gardner, Hal Barwood, Steve Gaynor, Johnnemann Nordhagen, Marius Winter and Klint Honeychurch!

I hope that everybody has a wonderful end to 2013 and I look forward to being a part of Game Club with you all in 2014!

This will serve as the new planning thread moving forward. The old one can be found here.

Don't forget to keep an eye on these resources:

- Double Fine Game Club home page (with webchat, stream and session countdown timer)

- @DFGameClub on Twitter (keep track of announcements)

- Game Club F.A.Q.

I had to go with Another World as it's probably my favourite game of all time.

So far as sessions go, it's massively hard to choose a favourite, but so far as highlights that stand out to me go, our Time Gentleman, Please sessions with Dan and Ben was hilarious, our first Kentucky Route Zero sessions were great as well with people discovering the evocative and eerie world of KR0, it was great to hear the thoughts of adventure game veterans Hal Barwood and Brian Moriarty in our Fate of Atlantis and Loom sessions respectively, and it was super awesome to hang out with a whole stack of Double Fine people during our Costume Quest sessions :D

All the other sessions have been super fun and rewarding though. It's been great! :D

Unfortunately I was super late to the party and could only participate in a few streams, but out of the ones I discussed with the club. Kentucky Route Zero Act 1 was the most intriguing for me.

I personally pay the most attention to the world in which a game is set, probably because I love world-building, brainstorming strange locations and general concept art stuff. KR0 had a perfect beginning. The game built up expectations and completely shattered all of it in one scene.

That's my pick! Hopefully I'll be able to attend more sessions in 2014! Thanks to the people behind the scene for all of their hard work!

Mine is definitely PJ Sam 1, the first game I got to stream =D. On a side note I'm looking forwards to next weeks stream when I'll be able to finish off the trilogy with PJ Sam 3 :D

As for my favourite chat sessions, Costume Quest and Gone Home are probably my favourites, even though i only got to read them afterwards and didn't really get the chance to chat in them much.

I'm just sad I missed a lot of those because I wasn't active here or the stream was too choppy to enjoy the stream.

Hopefully we've got that sorted now.

I actually missed a lot of those sessions :(.

I only was in the Costume Quest and Indiana Jones ones. Both were great as people involved in the game creation were talking with us about the game. I think I liked Indiana Jones because the game itself. It was like a regression to my youth and chat with Hal was great.

I don't think I could pick a favorite session, but it's always great when we get the people involved in the game's creation in the chat with us.

Possibly one of the most memorable ones for me would be Time Gentlemen, Please!, due to the first session ending with a rather amusing show-stopping bug, while Ben and Dan were both in the chat and watching. That incident taught me to save more often when I stream games that don't have an auto-save. :P

My favourite was easily Monkey Island 2. I love the game, the talkie/pixel/mt-32 hybrid was the perfect method for playing the game, and of course it's always cool to hear Ron Gilbert's thoughts on the creative process behind the game, so it was awesome that he was able to drop by to chat with us.

My favourite was easily Monkey Island 2. I love the game, the talkie/pixel/mt-32 hybrid was the perfect method for playing the game

To this day, I'm still a bit unsure if I should have just played the old VGA CD release instead, but I know there were people that wanted the voice acting, and I wouldn't be able to get that sweet MT-32 audio if I just swapped over to classic mode in the special edition, and there were also concerns that the special edition didn't emulate iMuse very well. It's nice to know that my weird hybrid ScummVM copy of Monkey Island 2 was enjoyed, even if the bone song probably caused a few ears to bleed out. :P

To this day, I'm still a bit unsure if I should have just played the old VGA CD release instead, but I know there were people that wanted the voice acting, and I wouldn't be able to get that sweet MT-32 audio if I just swapped over to classic mode in the special edition, and there were also concerns that the special edition didn't emulate iMuse very well. It's nice to know that my weird hybrid ScummVM copy of Monkey Island 2 was enjoyed, even if the bone song probably caused a few ears to bleed out. :P

Ha ha, we back and forthed on that one a bit. When there's a title like that that means so much to so many people and has multiple versions, it becomes a bit tricky. I'm glad that we seemed to pick a middle ground that resonated well with most people :)

To be honest, I feel a bit bad for not highlighting the Monkey Island and The Cave sessions that we had with Ron. It was a huge honour to interview Ron, and he was (in spite of his grumpy reputation) super patient in what was a bit of a bumpy first-live-interview for me. Likewise, the live interview with Tasha was a huge highlight for me personally, as was hanging out in IRC with a whole slew of DF people to celebrate their work.

Whilst I hope that at its core, Game Club can be about insights, critiques and discussion from players, it's still super neat to be able to interact with creators as well :D

My favourite was easily Monkey Island 2. I love the game, the talkie/pixel/mt-32 hybrid was the perfect method for playing the game

I think that hybrid is my favourite method of playing the game. No missing intro, perfect iMuse with the right cues, and no missing lines! The bone song didn't seem that buggy to be honest, sure the sync wasn't dead on but it was close enough to not be irritating, and the voices never really bothered me, I figured that Guybrush's parents were just extremely tone deaf.

Btw, any chance of doing the rest of the Monkey Island series? I'd love to see you do Curse especially :D

Btw, any chance of doing the rest of the Monkey Island series? I'd love to see you do Curse especially :D

That's definitely on the list of stuff we'd like to do - we're just hoping to reopen dialogue with Dom first (it's better to hold off and have the opportunity to have him join us than do it early and miss out).

That's definitely on the list of stuff we'd like to do - we're just hoping to reopen dialogue with Dom first (it's better to hold off and have the opportunity to have him join us than do it early and miss out).

Wow, that would be so awesome :D

I liked "The Cave" because it tells a moving story through its controls and level design. The story of The Cave completely depends on the who you select for your three-person party. Oh, and one last thing. Its not just a game its an adventure).

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!

https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

For those who haven't picked it up yet, now is a good time to get the humble weekly bundle. Besides having Botanicula and Machinarium, 2 wonderful p&c games we've already played for gameclub, and Shelter, a fantastic experimental game that we might play down the road, it also has LUME, a game we are most likely to play within the next few weeks. So I'd highly suggest getting the bundle now so that you'll be able to play the game before we stream, and enjoy the fantastic games that are included in the bundle.

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT CONCLUDED!

Now back to your regularly scheduled forum commenting.

The Raven was great!

I wish we could vote multiple times. Sam & Max seems awfully underrepresented.

Edit: I do like that Gravity Bone and 30 Flights of Loving seem to have been popular :D

Yeah, it's hard to choose just one. I ended up voting for Sam & Max: Culture Shock because it was great having Jake Rodkin in the chat. It was cool having Shaun Finney there too, even if he's lesser known.

More recently I also really enjoyed Costume Quest. There are more, but I'm having a hard time remembering much from the earlier ones, so they're hard to rate.

Yeah, it's hard to choose just one. I ended up voting for Sam & Max: Culture Shock because it was great having Jake Rodkin in the chat. It was cool having Shaun Finney there too, even if he's lesser known.

More recently I also really enjoyed Costume Quest. There are more, but I'm having a hard time remembering much from the earlier ones, so they're hard to rate.

Is Shaun the guy that does videos and such for Telltale?

Yes, and I think he also does stuff like menus and credits in their games, but don't quote me on that. He's probably better known as Shauntron.

Augh. There have been so many good GC sessions that it's hard to pick one favourite. If I absolutely have to pick one, the sessions I probably enjoyed most were the ones for "The Cave" because of Ron Gilbert's funny comments to Alphatt's playing. ;)

Other sessions to mention were the ones for "Time Gentlemen, Please" because of the honest answers from the Ben and Dan. :)

Of course "Monkey Island 2" has to be mentioned since it's my all-time favourite game and the "Frankenstein" version Syd played was perfect. ^_^

Oh yeah, I also very much enjoyed the "Costume Quest" sessions! The game wasn't on my list of games to play before but it certainly is now.

Alrighty, on to planning stuff!

We've been working with Greg to organise doing Act 1 of Broken Age next month (exciting!). We haven't nailed down a date, but it's probably going to come with some schedule changes to position it within DF's working hours.

In the meantime, with Book of Unwritten Tails 2 having a crowdfunding campaign at the moment, I was thinking perhaps this might be a good opportunity for us to do the first game. Of course, I haven't played it yet, so I would need some help from others with regards to assessing its length and suitability, but I think we're pretty likely to get devs joining to help spread the word about the BoUT 2 campaign.

Thoughts?

We managed to weather through our hiatus and get some great Broken Age sessions in. Syd's going to do The Book of Unwritten Tales next.

Where do we want to go from here, people?

We managed to weather through our hiatus and get some great Broken Age sessions in. Syd's going to do The Book of Unwritten Tales next.

Where do we want to go from here, people?

My vote is for either The Walking Dead Season 1 Episode 1 or The Wolf Among Us Episode 1 (either would lead to a great discussion on modern TellTale games and what they have changed to the traditional P&C adventure formula in order to appeal to wider audiences), Freddi Fish 1 (since I promised at the end of the pj sam 3 stream that we'd stream that eventually), spy fox 1 (because Spy fox that's why :P) or any of the Daelic adventure games that were in the recent humble bundle they had (since we really should do a game from them eventually).

One option I was looking at, but wasn't sure whether we should do just yet, is Stacking. On the one hand, if our stream was able to in some small way make another Costume Quest, why not try for another Stacking game as well? But on the other hand, it may be better to save Stacking for a little bit later since we just did Broken Age. What do you guys think? Is there any other DF games you'd be interest in us doing? BTW if you say Psychonauts, know that we already have that in mind, but that it will require a large amount of play time so we'll probably have to wait on doing it for now.

At this point though we have a lot different games we could be doing, so if you have any other ideas for games we'd love to hear them!

My vote is for either The Walking Dead Season 1 Episode 1 or The Wolf Among Us Episode 1 (either would lead to a great discussion on modern TellTale games and what they have changed to the traditional P&C adventure formula in order to appeal to wider audiences), Freddi Fish 1 (since I promised at the end of the pj sam 3 stream that we'd stream that eventually), spy fox 1 (because Spy fox that's why :P) or any of the Daelic adventure games that were in the recent humble bundle they had (since we really should do a game from them eventually).

I'm sort of against the idea of starting more seasons before we've finished what we've started (still more of The Raven, Sam & Max, Monkey Island, Police Quest and Broken Sword that we can go on with, plus more The Journey Down, Kentucky Route Zero, Lume and Broken Age on the horizon).

One option I was looking at, but wasn't sure whether we should do just yet, is Stacking. On the one hand, if our stream was able to in some small way make another Costume Quest, why not try for another Stacking game as well? But on the other hand, it may be better to save Stacking for a little bit later since we just did Broken Age.

It's definitely worth spreading out Double Fine games (it may even be interesting to do a couple of sessions where we focus on playing through AF games and looking at how they've evolved) rather than lumping them together. Looking at timeframes, I feel like Broken Age Act 2 is probably the best fit for our next DF title.

I've got reservations about how well Stacking will go with our normal format and how many sessions we'd be able to maintain discussion on it for. I had concerns about Costume Quest as well, but that turned out really well, so my wariness shouldn't be discouraging ^_^

Looking over notes from previous threads, The Dig jumps out as being exciting. I'd also be interested in seeing us look at. Octodad could be fun maybe? Has anybody brought up Thomas Was Alone recently?

Has anybody brought up Thomas Was Alone recently?

I'll bring it up if no one else has. Excellent short game that I'd recommend to everyone. It's certainly doable if people want us to stream it.

Sign in to follow this