Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club Survey (End of 2013 Edition)

Maybe it would be a good idea to take offline backups of the streams and chat logs just in case?

Ah, thanks Dan! I hadn't spotted that. We could go through the process of saving every single session off as a highlight. We still potentially have the risk of having to deal with copyright claims, but maybe that's the best short term option?

It wouldn't hurt to grab backups, but bandwidth is hard to come by here in the wild frontier :D

Something we definitely need to make sure we're keeping are the stream archives of the interviews we did with Ron, Tasha and Tim.

Isn't your name Ben der Dan? I always though that was the pun in your video game title.

Ha ha ha, you know what, I totally thought "Ben" in my mind when I wrote that. It's not as good when I opened an email to Dan with "G'day Dad".

Isn't your name Ben der Dan? I always though that was the pun in your video game title.

Eh?

I just got word back from Lee that he'd be happy to join us for Stacking \o/

Haven't yet been able to iron out dates with Lee. We've held off on announcing our next game. If needs be we'll slip something in before Stacking :)

So 1 game I was thinking would be an interesting stream would be this game:

http://www.gamefront.com/files/8391719/BIONICLE_Mata_Nui_Online_Game____Offline_Edition

It's a free online flash first person adventure game that's kinda hard to explain if you don't know about Bionicles, a series of lego toys from a few years ago. Though even if you have no experience with the franchise, it still has a pretty self contained story within the game and features gameplay a lot like Myst. If you're not able to play the game due to using an operating system other than windows, this video does a good job of summing up most of the game, as well as highlighting why i feel its worth us playing at some point down the road:

So our plans right now are still being finalized, but for now they're looking like this:

1) Our next game choice has a few options. We're planning on starting stacking on the 20th, leaving our next game as a one off game short enough to be played during a single stream. Cheese's idea is to do Stranded. The game is available on steam here: http://store.steampowered.com/app/295250/ It looks like a good game, and is short enough to fit one episode.

On the other hand, there were 2 very different short experimental video games that I have been wanting to do recently that would also be short enough to play in about 5-10 minutes each. They are Castles in the Sky (trailer here:

and available here for 1.50 USD: http://thetalltreesgames.co.uk/CastlesInTheSky/) and The Cat and the Coup (available for free on steam http://store.steampowered.com/app/95700/). Castles is a cheerful, picture-book-like experience that does a great job of telling a simple story while letting soar high into the clouds. Cat, to use it's steam discription, is "a documentary game in which you play the cat of Dr. Mohammed Mossadegh, the first democratically elected Prime Minister of Iran. During the summer of 1953, the CIA engineered a coup to bring about his downfall." So yeah, design wise and story wise they're basically polar opposites in almost every way, but I really like both of them and feel both would be interesting games to do.

2) We will be doing Stacking from Sept. 20th to Oct. 18th, over 5 streams. The first stream will begin with an interview with Lee Petty, the project lead on Stacking! Lee will also be joining us for the first 3 streams of the game to chat with us about his experiences working on the game.

3) I learned recently that I will be busy on September 27th. This means that I'll be having someone else (probably the wonderful Syd if she is up for it) play on the 27th for me, with me doing streams 3-5.

So what do you guys think? Any thoughts on which game we should do this week? Anyone else really excited to get to have Lee talk to us about the experience of making the game? Be sure to let us know!

Yup, I got confirmation today from Lee that the 20th and 27th of September as well as the 4th of October work for him, so we'll squeeze Stacking into that (not sure we really want to drag it out to 5 sessions - I definitely think we should leave the DLC for another time like we did with CQ).

I might be able to wrangle the dev for Stranded if we end up doing that (though I'll need to know sooner rather than later so that I can get that organised). It's a super short game, but has a really interesting presentation of story. The only thing I worry about with it is that it's fairly slow and might be difficult to keep discussion focused for the entire session (for that reason, I think it'd be best to do it on its own rather than do a double session with something else).

Hi guys. So when I was saying 5 sessions for stacking, i was referring to the main game, without including the dlc. It's a longer game than cq, and if we cut it down to 3 or 4 we'll probably be ending up missing a large amount of the game by the nature of content in the game. The game is based around multiple solutions to puzzles, so having it cut would mean only getting part of of the game shown (or having 1 hour 30 min streams each).

btw the dlc is 2 streams by itself in order to see all of the story and do the puzzles. It's doable in 1 stream, but it also means missing out on content like with the main game.

Castles in the Sky and The Cat and the Coup both look interesting, but I think I'll vote for Stranded since it's cross-platform and for the chance of having the developer join. (I don't know which platforms CitS is available for though, since the web site is down at the moment.) Stranded has 84% negative user ratings on Steam but I think it might be interesting nevertheless.

I think that for a playthrough of Stacking it might not necessarily be that interesting to do all puzzle solutions or at least cut down on the ones that are the most time consuming. I've put about 16 hours into the game myself, but that's doing all solutions and hijinks, and I think the playtime can be reduced massively if you don't do all of them.

So this is the plan so far that Syd, Cheese and I worked out:

1) Stranded will indeed be our game for this week. Cheese will be setting up a page for it soon.

2) Stacking will be 3 streams long, and starting next week. We will be skipping a lot of side content in order to keep the streams a reasonable length, so be sure to play the game before hand so you can chat about your own experiences from playing the game while we do the streams.

3) Lee will be joining us for all 3 streams, as well as giving an interview during our first stream.

4) The first and third streams will be done by me, and the 2nd stream will be done by syd since I'm busy on the 27th.

Ah! We've arrived at that position again where we're at the end of a longer game and we haven't decided what we're going to do next.

I definitely don't have time to stream anything, so somebody else is going to have to pick something that they're keen to do. I'd love to see us do TJD Chapter 2 soon. The devs are totally keen to join us and I can reach out to them ASAP if somebody's keen to stream it.

Anybody got any other ideas for our next game (and is in a position to stream?)

I'd love to have TJD2 next but I'm not in a position to stream.

Just been chatting with Permafry, who is keen to stream Papo & Yo. We'll schedule 3 sessions for that and look towards doing TJD2 after that, I reckon. How does that sit with people?

So first off for those of you who haven't gotten the latest humble indie bundle 13, be sure to at least check it out since its a great bundle, especially if you don't have most of these games.

www.humblebundle.com

However, the best thing about it for me is that it acted as a reminder to me to actually get around to finally playing Jazzpunk, a game i've been wanting to spend the time to complete for a long time due to the zany trailers and good-excellent reviews its gotten when it came out back in February. To be clear, I've yet to play it beyond a few minutes back when i first got it, and I need to still play through it to know if its game club suitable (probably will be considering its sense of humor). However, since its available on pc mac and linux right now (including a drm free version through humble bundle), and since it is available at the beat the average price for the bundle right now, I feel now would be a great time to play through it, after we complete the journey down chapter 2 streams.

If you like the idea, please chip in!

Alrighty, now that Ron's Kickstarter campaign to make a Maniac Mansion-like game has arrived, we should probably consider scheduling a Maniac Mansion run soon. I'll touch base with Ron to see if he'd be interested in joining us after we do Jazzpunk.

Additionally, Permafry is away for a little bit. Is anybody else interested in streaming Jazzpunk? I can wrangle doing it, but it takes some pressure off me if I'm not the one streaming ^_^

Alrighty, now that Ron's Kickstarter campaign to make a Maniac Mansion-like game has arrived, we should probably consider scheduling a Maniac Mansion run soon. I'll touch base with Ron to see if he'd be interested in joining us after we do Jazzpunk.
Which version should be streamed for Maniac Mansion? I'd say go with the NES version, as that one has the music and I'd say is the definitive official version. Plus, it's completable in ScummVM, which means you can use a mouse with it, so it'd be easy to play for the stream.

My free time is pretty much open all the time until Spring next year, so I'm open to streaming Maniac Mansion when the time comes if you need it. I might be open to streaming Jazzpunk. I got it in the Humble Bundle but haven't played it yet. Let me run through it to see if I can stream it. If I can, I'll be happy to stream that too. :)

EDIT: Oh, it's one of those keyboard + mouse to look games... You definitely don't want me streaming that. I'd make everyone dizzy since I'm rotten at those and my look view is always all over the place. Sorry. :(

Hopefully you'll find someone else to help you stream that game. I'm still up for streaming Maniac Mansion though once Jazzpunk is done if you still need the help. :)

Which version should be streamed for Maniac Mansion? I'd say go with the NES version, as that one has the music and I'd say is the definitive official version.

That's something I threw out to Ron. I haven't had an answer back yet. I suspect he's a little busy. We've still got a couple of weeks to coordinate though.

Another question worth considering is which characters would we run through. Syd (I think it was Syd) suggested we could put that to a vote, but I also asked Ron whether he had any suggestions there as well.

My free time is pretty much open all the time until Spring next year, so I'm open to streaming Maniac Mansion when the time comes if you need it.

Awesome. Additional streamers are always welcome.

Another question worth considering is which characters would we run through. Syd (I think it was Syd) suggested we could put that to a vote, but I also asked Ron whether he had any suggestions there as well.

I suggested that we put the selection up to a vote to build interest ahead of the stream, though with such a well known game I'm not sure if it's actually required. If you can score Ron and/or Gary for the session, that alone would probably draw a ton of people.

Ah, it was you! :D

I'm sort of interested to see what the outcome of a community vote would be, although I'm always terrified of having nobody respond >_<

Jenni, if you did stream it, how many sessions do you think you'd want if we were aiming for 1 - 1.5 hours per session and only did one run?

Jenni, if you did stream it, how many sessions do you think you'd want if we were aiming for 1 - 1.5 hours per session and only did one run?
It would depend on the path we chose to go down (there's some puzzles in here that rely on a real time clock timer that might slow things down a bit - like if I was playing until Doctor Fred turned off the power, then I'd have to wait for the power to come back on to finish some puzzles).

If we want to go for longer sessions, I'd say probably go the Dave + Michael + Wendy path. But even then, if we slowed down a bit to see all the cutscenes, we'd probably only be looking at 3.5 to 4 hours tops.

Alrighty, the thread for Maniac Mansion is up. I still haven't managed to get confirmation that's more solid than "probably" (it sounds like things are super busy at the moment, but I still think that it's best to do MM during the Thimbleweed crowdfunding campaign).

Jenni, if you're definitely up for streaming, give me a yell on Steam and we'll do some testing/get you set up with a stream key for the Game Club Twitch account.

Eek. There's a complication unfortunately. I'll be in Delaware next Saturday (it was a last minute thing, I didn't find out until yesterday). :(

I'll be here the week after that, but I'm sure that's of no use as the streaming would have already started. Sorry about that. :(