Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

DF Game Club Survey (End of 2013 Edition)

Lumino City, the sequel to Lume, got released on the 2nd (would have mentioned it sooner but it unfortunately flew under the radar for me). We may want to consider doing a stream after we've given some time for people to play through the game.

Full warning though that it doesn't have a linux version available through steam from what it says on the steam page.

Lumino City, the sequel to Lume, got released on the 2nd (would have mentioned it sooner but it unfortunately flew under the radar for me). We may want to consider doing a stream after we've given some time for people to play through the game.

Full warning though that it doesn't have a linux version available through steam from what it says on the steam page.

I have been waiting for that one for a couple of years. The developer has confirmed a Linux version, but it will take a bit longer.

I have been waiting for that one for a couple of years. The developer has confirmed a Linux version, but it will take a bit longer.

Thanks for the heads up. We'll probably want to wait for that then so that all of us will be able to play the game before we do a stream for it.

For anybody who hadn't noticed, we got confirmation this morning that Ron Gilbert will be joining us for Maniac Mansion. Tell your friends. Let's get a big turnout for Game Club this weekend :D

We've got David Fox joining us his coming weekend of our final Maniac Mansion session.

How're we going to for consensus on what to do next?

Alrighty, Jenni has said she's keen to do A Vampyre Story next. She's had previous contact with Bill Tiller and Gene Moscy and has extended an invite to them to join us, so fingers crossed.

We're going to allocate about 3 sessions. It'd be good to plan ahead for January so that things aren't a last minute scramble.

Syd's expressed interest in doing Discworld at some point, but needs to find time to play through it first. Mim's in the same position for Broken Sword 2.

Mim suggested that maybe we could look towards doing an Amnesia Fortnight roundup, zipping through all the things that are likely to fit will with Game Club in a couple of sessions (January might be a good time for that so that we can get it done in anticipation of AF2015, maybe? What're people's thoughts there?).

I started playing Tri the other day. That might be something interesting at as well.

Alrighty, Jenni has said she's keen to do A Vampyre Story next. She's had previous contact with Bill Tiller and Gene Moscy and has extended an invite to them to join us, so fingers crossed.

We're going to allocate about 3 sessions. It'd be good to plan ahead for January so that things aren't a last minute scramble.

Syd's expressed interest in doing Discworld at some point, but needs to find time to play through it first. Mim's in the same position for Broken Sword 2.

Mim suggested that maybe we could look towards doing an Amnesia Fortnight roundup, zipping through all the things that are likely to fit will with Game Club in a couple of sessions (January might be a good time for that so that we can get it done in anticipation of AF2015, maybe? What're people's thoughts there?).

I started playing Tri the other day. That might be something interesting at as well.

I'm also keen in doing Spy Fox 2, if people are interested in us continuing that series. Pajama Sam 4 as well.

Another game we could look at potentially doing if there is interest is Papers, Please. Its a little more dark of a game that what we would usually play though, so we should probably only consider it if there is interest in us playing it.

One game that i think would be interesting for us to discuss would be Dear Esther. While it certainly has some flaws, it still ended up becoming some of the inspiration behind several other games including Gone Home and The Stanley Parable. And while it doesn't have a linux port on steam yet, it does have a linux port through humble bundle.

The Stanley Parable is also a game I would very much like for us to do, and if we only have time for 1 session for it we could simply go through the demo for it. I would love to go through all the major ending in the game, but that would probably take about 3 sessions to do properly.

Anyways be sure to respond below on what games you want to see us play next!

I worry that we wouldn't be able to maintain discussion for very long with Papers Please (it's got the same kind of grindy game play problems that RPGs have).

I'm still keen to see us hold off on doing TSP until GranPC gets the Linux version out.

I'm also keen in doing Spy Fox 2, if people are interested in us continuing that series. Pajama Sam 4 as well.
I missed the first Spy Fox game club session, but I'd definitely be interested in joining in for the second (Pajama Sam too). The Humongous games are actually really fun.

OK, so since we had some technical difficulties, we should probably find time to test the stream during the week to iron out the kinks. Jenni, are you still keen to do the rest of the game?

If you can't get things sorted out by the next session, I can continue filling in for you. If you figure things out, I can send my save file over to you, unless you wanted to catch up yourself.

I really like TRI but I think it might have the same issues as you mention with Papers, Please. At least when you're past the first few levels and the game play starts getting more dominant, there's a lot less story telling time wise compared to the time you'll spend solving puzzles. The size of the levels make solving them pretty time consuming even if you know what you're doing.

If I remember correctly, Technobabylon is supposed to release next month and Perils of Man* should also be out for PC platforms in January, so those might be options in the near future.

* I asked Gene Mocsy in game club if he knew whether it would be available for both Windows, Linux and Mac on release. He didn't know but said he would try to find out.

Alrighty, set your socks into off position, I just got a DM from Mike Bithell saying that he'd be interested in joining us for Thomas in February.

I'm also going to try to reach out to Dom Armato, Jared Emerson-Johnson and Graham Annable this weekend/early next week to see if we can wrangle any of those for Monkey 3, the Sam & Max season 1 finale, and Puzzle Agent respectively.

Mim and I are going to stream Violett next (which is an title with some excruciating door maze puzzles >_< ) to make sure that Syd gets a good break, Jenni has time to get her computer back together, and Permafry to be free (if he's still busy).

I've also shot an email out to Greg to see if I can get some thoughts on whether we'd be able to get guests for Grim and Broken Age Act 2.

Exciting times are ahead! :D

Edit: I also need to get a new survey thread up before the next session. We'll keep using this one for planning at the moment though.

Syd's wanting to pad AVS out to four sessions. I'm cool with that. It looks like we'll be able to wrangle something like this:

Edit: Ignore that

OK, so big change of plans. We've been encouraged to run with Grim Fandango over February to get something happening closer to release. The updated schedule looks like this:

Jan 17th: Last AVS session

Jan 24th: Violett

Jan 31st: Violett

Feb 7th: Grim Fandango Remastered

Feb 14th: Grim Fandango Remastered

Feb 21st: Grim Fandango Remastered

Feb 28th: Grim Fandango Remastered

Mar 7th: ?

Mar 21st: ?

Unfortunately, Mike Bithell isn't available during March at all, and wasn't free to take the spot we had for Violette. Hopefully we'll be able to work something out with him for April.

So far as guests for Grim go, Greg's said he'll extend an invite to everybody, and I've also been reaching out to the ResidualVM and Grim Fandango Deluxe communities. Bret Mogilefsky, Grim Fandango's lead developer has said he'll be delighted to join us.

In terms of what to do in the future, I have 2 suggestions:

1 is to return to the Spy Fox Series and play through Spy Fox 2. Its been a while since we did a humongous game, so we might as well do another one eventually.

2 is we stream the first episode of Life is Strange. It's a really interesting take on the adventure game choice-focussed games that is common in quantic dreams and modern telltale titles, with the interesting addition of the ability to reverse time both to solve puzzles ala braid, or undo choices made in the past ala steins;gate (hey i said interesting, not necessarily original!). It also can be abused in order to do this (minor spoilers): http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/30/7953703/life-is-strange-overview-gameplay-video Anyway despite some issues i have with some of the characters being overwritten to the point of sillyness, i still feel its noteworthy enough to justify us doing a stream for at least the first episode of the game at some point down the road.

Alrighty, we ended up settling on Spy Fox 2, but we need to come up with a plan for what to do next.

Jenni, were you interested in trying to stream again?

Alrighty, we ended up settling on Spy Fox 2, but we need to come up with a plan for what to do next.

Jenni, were you interested in trying to stream again?

My Windows partition has been stable now running (without the computer turning itself off whenever it went into sleep mode, which was a problem for a long time) for a few weeks, even though the hard drive is still wonky (I have to log into the computer with a Ubuntu install disc first in order to even get the computer to recognize the hard drive). But after it starts there is no problem with stability anymore so it should be OK for me to try to stream again.

Cheese: Has Yesterday been considered?

I don't recall it being suggested before. Can you tell us much about it?

But after it starts there is no problem with stability anymore so it should be OK for me to try to stream again.

Alrighty, is there a game you'd be keen on?

I was pretty torn on whether I'd stream The Neverhood or Discworld 2 after Spy Fox 2, but the sad news of Terry Pratchett's passing convinced me that Discworld 2 is the clear choice, so that will be the DFGC's next game after Spy Fox 2.

I did consider streaming the first Discworld adventure game but it is a daunting monster with confusing and nonsensical puzzle design and I'm more familiar with its sequel. If only Discworld Noir wasn't such a pain to get running properly on a modern computer.

But after it starts there is no problem with stability anymore so it should be OK for me to try to stream again.

Alrighty, is there a game you'd be keen on?

Not off-hand. I'll take a look at my game list and see if one strikes me as suitable. I won't be able to stream until mid-April though, since my sister is running for a charity 5K for Pancreatic Cancer in New York City and she convinced myself and my mom to join in (although only my sister will be running it, as my mom and I won't be timed - I'll be walking it - there's no way I could run it).

Alrighty so for now we're aiming to do the Broken Age Part 2 stream in May. For April through to the beginning of may we will have 5 sessions. 1 will be this weeks, finishing off discworld 2. 2 of them will be Sam and Max Season 1 Episode 6.

This will leave 2 sessions (3 if we delayed broken age for a week). Right now we are planning to do Thomas Was Alone, which will take up the other 2 sessions. However we still are waiting to hear back from Mike before we confirm it.

Our back up game currently looks to be The Novelist. Its a 2-3 hour game, so you can expect it to take no longer than 2 sessions.

Thoughts?