Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ritardedartkid

Request: option to show all interactive objects on screen at once

Hey there. First time poster here, but I've been catching up/following along with the documentary vids. Any who, I was recently playing the point and click adventure game Ceville and one of the mechanics that I really enjoyed was the ability to hit space bar to bring up all the interactive objects on the screen. It doesn't tell you how to use anything, it just points out what's clickable. Is this something that could be incorporated into Broken Age? It's a really convenient feature that doesn't take anything away from the game, but can make it a little more user friendly. Just a thought and sorry if this is covered elsewhere or already a feature (I'm not completely caught up on vids yet). Thanks!

Jaime

You mean a hot spot finder?

I have doubts about this one. Even if it doesn't show you WHAT to do it pretty much narrows down your view.

Without hotspot view: Woooo! What a greate space ship. I wonder what I can do here, let's explore...

With hotspot view: AWWWW! Only 3 clickable objects?

Yes, it can help, but in my opinion there were very few games that really needed one. The first Run-a-way was one of those games with some STUPIDLY placed and unfair hotspots. And even worse: Searching a thing twice to reveal an object. That sucked! Beside these problems it was a great game and one of the really good post-LucasArts-Adventures i can think of.

In one of the episodes (was it the last one?) the artists talk about how to direction the players attention to areas of interest where interactions can happen. I think this is the way to go and it would be a shame if all there effort to masterfully craft the environment in a way that guides players would be overwritten by pressing SPACE.

Yes, it helps when you are stuck - but in an earler episode Tim talked about how you would stop playing the game for a few hours and "let your brain figure out the puzzle" and then return to try it out. That's something that seems to be lost to a lot of gamers (or society in general?! But let's not get too philosophical, because it in fact is still "just" a game...) today. Wanting to complete a game without taking the time. Adeventure games are (and should be in my opinion!) games that you do not rush through. I want to complete Broken Age on several long adventure-filled evenings even if that means a lot of trial and error instead of using a hot spot finder and just "combine clicky-things".

That said, I am also guilty of using such a tool from time to time when it's on offer. And that is the reason why I don't like them. They tempt you to spoil your own gaming experience. Maybe I don't have enough self-control for a hot spot finder - i don't know.

Also from what I got from the documentary you can switch between the two plots if you are stuck in one so that you can keep playing and deal with the "unsolvable" puzzle at a later location.

All in all I'd rather not have a feature like this. But if thy do implement it, I hope they allow you to choose at the beginning of the game if you want to have helpers active or banned for the complete game (Like in Monkey 2 where you could choose between an 'easy' and 'hard' mode).

If the game is designed well enough it won't need to include a hotspot finder to be user-friendly.

If the game is designed well enough it won't need to include a hotspot finder to be user-friendly.

I agree, though I wouldn't mind it as an option. I'd probably never use it, but if I got stuck I might as a last resort before seeking hints go around and see if I missed anything important.

The worst of both worlds is hotspot highlighting which isn't correct (and I've played games like that). Given the choice when I'm stuck of running the cursor all over the screen to see if I've missed a hotspot, or pressing spacebar for instance to show the hotspots I'll press the spacebar. Opinions vary.

I'm in the boat with "No." If they do include it, you'll use it once as a "Okay, I'm stuck," but once you think you're stuck you just give up and look up the hotspots. Eventually turning into a frustrated "New room: Hotspot time!" This is bad.

Though, I can see why you'd include it for iOS and Android.

Here's an idea - hotspot finder single use (or just a few) item that you can use when your really stuck... or something. Maybe it would glow a certain color in relation to what you should do or something. A hint system that you could just use once.

My vote is no for this whole topic. But as almost a side note to this, I'm picturing a game where you had some sort of mystic intuition crystal or AI thing that you knew only worked once or twice.

Sign in to follow this